[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you cook filet mignon? i have never cooked a steak before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: fn.jpg (68 KB, 825x825) Image search: [Google]
fn.jpg
68 KB, 825x825
how do you cook filet mignon? i have never cooked a steak before in my life.
>>
>>7411469
Put it under your pillow overnight, the slow warmth from your head is the best way to cook a good steak.
>>
File: bryancranston.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
bryancranston.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>7411469

Salt.
Pepper.
Dash of olive oil
Turn the heat
Up to high
Sear it, beautiful crust
Add a dash
Of olive oil
Simple
Rustic
Let it rest
Seasoned beautifully
>>
I know it sounds weird but I find that the microwave gives me the most desirable results

wrap in foil or paper to retain moisture
>>
>>7411469
Steak au poivre is the only correct answer.
>>
Dice that shit, flash fry with some garlic and onions. Throw in some oil and some veg, got a meal
>>
>>7411511
This, except also douse it in half a bottle of premade teriyaki sauce
>>
season them however you want USE SALT
sear them in a cast iron pan a couple minutes each side and then put them in the oven at 425 until they're almost at desired doneness .. like 5-6 minutes
then let them chill for a few minutes
>>
File: 1400895259961.jpg (40 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1400895259961.jpg
40 KB, 625x626
>>7411492
>olive oil
>not butter
>>
>>7411469
Get a cut that's at least 4-5cm, salt, pepper, vacuum or Ziploc, sous vide for 1.5-2h, optional post-seasoning, sear on very high heat for 15-30 sec per side.
>>
File: 1418395875324.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1418395875324.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>7411492
Haha. Well typed.
>>
>>7411589
butter burns at a lower temp than oil so when you're searing on high heat, you should use oil

DAE cook?
>>
>>7411469
Cover in salt and pepper and let sit at room temp for 30min to an hour

Bring pan to med-high (8/10 or 9/10 heat) with oil of your choosing (meme fags say to use peanut or olive, I prefer vegetable/canola/corn) and let get hot for 5 min

Cook on one side for 4 min, and other side for 3 min

Place on aluminum foil and cover w/ butter, wrap aluminum and let rest for 8 min

Serve
>>
>>7412040
Do you even clarified butter
>>
>>7411469
Boring overpriced, overrated cut of beef.

Get some skirt steak instead.
>>
Heres some funny OC boys:

Well done with a side of ketchup hahaha
>>
>>7411469
>smoked weed
>bought filet mignon
>put it on foreman grill
>watch baseball
>check meat
>watch baseball
>check meat
>push down on grill to cook faster
> $28 worth of meat is being cooked wrong by a stoner
>cook faster damn it
>fuck it let's ear
>add pepper
>suprisingly tasty af and juicy and tender
>>
>>7411469
Filet needs to be covered in seasoning because its flavorless because of its lack of fat. The only thing it has going for it is the fact thats its soft
>>
Get a cheaper steak and take some practice swings.

You have no business wielding the Pinnacle of Beef when you haven't even scorched your first cut. Filet Mignon has very little fat, that means very little tolerance. It is so easily ruined... SO easily ruined.

Step back and start smaller.
>>
>>7412168
>flavorless
Chain smoker detected
>>
>>7412094
He actually posted it the absolute madman
>>
>>7412187
Rib-eye is a much better more flavorful cut.
>>
>>7411504

Thats my go to for cooking fancy shit for other people, only if the kitchen has high ceilings over the cook-top though. The flambé makes dem panties drop.
>>
>>7412197
Agreed, a rib-eye has a lot of flavor going for it.

Filet mignon arguably has the purest beef flavor, but most importantly has miniscule amounts of fat making it ideal for cooking projects that call for raw slivered beef, and very gently, delicately cooked efforts that produce songs, not steaks.

If I were gonna make a steak, I'd use a Rib-Eye or even a T-Bone before using a Filet Mignon.
>>
>>7412068
Skirt steak it's the best cut
>>
>>7412197
I agree, and ribeye is my favorite cut, but to call tenderloin flavorless is just plain wrong.
>>
>>7412319
lol DAE ALTON BROWN
>>
>>7412094
M A D M A N
>>
run it through a warm room
>>
>>7412221
>or even a T-Bone
>or even a

What the fuck is wrong with T-Bones? Sometimes I hate this fucking stupid board.
>>
>>7412690
there's a bone in it!!
>>
>>7411469
Fillet is honestly the least forgiving steak to cook because of the lack of fat. Needs to be rare to medium rare, starts getting drier and tougher quickly after that. Best results are sous vide-sear or reverse sear where you cook it in a 200F oven until it's almost as done as you want and then quickly sear it in a hot skillet. Goes great with richer sauces/accompaniments because of the lack of fat. Steak au poivre is a classic preparation but compound butters go well, as do sauces made with marrow and the like.

Also it's excellent raw.

>>7412319
Skirt is great, as are ribeyes and new yorks. Hell, there honestly aren't many parts of a cow that aren't delicious if they're done right. Tongue, cheeks, bone marrow, tendons...
>>
>>7411511
There's an Asian fusion place near me that makes a ridiculously good stir fry this way. Onion, filet mignon and whatever the ambrosia of the gods sauce they use.
>>
wrap it in bacon obvs
>>
>>7412744
Fat is where the flavor is in steak, so it makes sense that good texture combined with other ingredients and sauce makes an amazing dish.
>>
>>7412722
>there's a makeshift weapon in it!
Fix'd.

muhfukn Law-Abiding Citizen stealing muh idea nd not gibing me no munies for it
>>
>>7412138
DUDE
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.