[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If heat is supposed to make solids melt, than why do baked goods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
If heat is supposed to make solids melt, than why do baked goods become solid when exposed to heat?
>>
>>7411191
Because you haven't applied enough heat to melt the solids. Gb2 middle school physics.
>>
>>7411191
1) not all solids melt, they can go directly from solid to burnt.

2) Baked goods set for a combination of reasons, depending on the exact dish:
-water gets cooked off (evaporates)
-protein in things like egg and wheat gluten (etc) set when they get heated to a certain temperature.
>>
>>7411191
Eggs. And alternative proteins if you're baking with no eggs. The heat sets them.
>>
heat above the melting point of a given solid will cause it to melt. organic materials like in baked goods are chemically complex and some of their components will not melt when subjected to oven temperatures. however, they do contain water, starch and proteins such as gluten and milk and egg proteins. the heat of the oven will cause the water in the cake to plasticise the starch and the protein molecules to denature and form a rigid structure enmeshing the other components. water will also leave the cake by evaporation, increasing the viscosity of the mixture. also i had your mum last night.
>>
>>7411191
eggs
>>
>>7411191
One reason is that enough heat is applied to alter the chemical bonds, which will change the physical properties of the chemicals present.
>>
>>7411191
also heat doesn't make all solids melt, and there are more than just "baked goods" that firm up when exposed to heat.

come now, are you daft? or maybe smoking the wacky tabacky?
>>
>>7411222
>or maybe smoking the wacky tabacky?
Bro I'm high as shit right now and even I'm not as retarded as OP
>>
Because heat also makes liquids evaporate.

What are you left with when you evaporate the liquid? The solids.
>>
Chemical reaction in the dough.
>>
buh wuh abuh iodine nigga

it goes from crystal to air at room temp nigga

essplain dat bitch
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.