[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What country has the best beer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 15
File: 5-9-12_mhl6.jpg (119 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
5-9-12_mhl6.jpg
119 KB, 700x500
What country has the best beer?
>>
>>7410880
America
>>
>>7410880
Belgium
>>
America and Belgium. Just avoid the big American brands that sponser sport teams.
>>
I'd say 10 years ago Germany. But now USA hands down
>>
>>7410880
Isn't it pretty well known at this point that America dominates in beer now
>>
>>7410885
I'd add in germany too. It's really hard to say who's best.
>>
>>7411381
have any world-class german beers in mind? I'd agree with you on America + Belgium, but I don't think Germany belongs in the same conversation.
>>
>>7411385
Weiheinstephaner hefe, celebrator doppelbock, I can't remember the name of it, but there's a great rauchbier that's readily available in the states.
>>
>>7411385
It definitely does and it has its own distinct styles. Weiheinstephaner and Ayinger are two breweries from Germany that are relatively accessible in the USA and their beer is top tier.
>>
Canada
>>
Widely available and popular beers:
>Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic

Uncommon, experimental or traditional beers:
>USA, Belgium
>>
File: one thing.jpg (30 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
one thing.jpg
30 KB, 320x240
THE United States of America
>>
America
Belgium
Great Britain
Czech Republic

In that order.

Denmark and Sweden are slowly getting there too.

I'm unsure where to put Germany exactly. I don't hate their beer. Their 'safe' non-experimental but trustworthy beers definitely have their place.
>>
>>7412418
>great britain

Why?
>>
File: IMG_1819.jpg (569 KB, 912x1292) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1819.jpg
569 KB, 912x1292
>>7412424
Why not?
>>
Everyone who doesnt say germany is just wrong
>>
>>7411420
This is pretty accurate. In terms of "commercial" beers, USA beers suck ass. But their micro and small production brews are some of the best in the world
>>
File: vb.png (602 KB, 858x484) Image search: [Google]
vb.png
602 KB, 858x484
Australia.
>>
>>7412451
10 years ago they were wrong. Now you might as well say that carlsberg is the best beer in the world or something equally outdated.
>>
>>7410881
kek. what do american beers and sex in a canoe have in common? they both are damn near close to water. only exception is microbrews.
>>
America.
>>
>>7412628
That punchline needs work
>>
>>7412451

But German beer is shit.
>>
I dunno, which country has the most trappist breweries?
>>
>>7412628
The punchline is "They're both fucking near water" or something like that.
Tbh, my time with their craft beers isn't so bad, its just the commercial shit gives them a bad wrap.
>>
>>7412654
Every country has their share of terrible cheap macros though. And America have loads and loads of microbreweries.
>>
>>7412638
What german beers did you drink?Why were they shit?Name one of your favourite beers please.
>>
Belgium, USA, UK

Lager heavy countries make solid beer. There just isn't a ton of variety. Most shit you encounter in Germany, for example, will be drinkable. They just aren't in the innovation game. This is my opinion.
>>
>>7412715
He's generalizing beer from an entire country, a country famous for its beer no less. Ignore the retard.
>>
>>7411385
König Ludwig, Pauliner come to mind right away
>>
File: thumb[1].png (542 KB, 580x547) Image search: [Google]
thumb[1].png
542 KB, 580x547
>>7411385
>>
File: tumblr_nwu4qfJ5YT1rakka3o1_1280.jpg (146 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwu4qfJ5YT1rakka3o1_1280.jpg
146 KB, 768x1024
>best beer country thread
>people actually brought up the UK unironically
>>
>>7410880
It's gotta be Ireland lad
>>
File: 1313426305829.jpg (54 KB, 688x636) Image search: [Google]
1313426305829.jpg
54 KB, 688x636
>USA
>>
Memes aside, America is a massive country and there's microbreweries across the entire thing. The chances of you finding a favorite there compared to Europe is much higher simply because of the size and prevalence, not to mention them pioneering stuff like cream ale, steam beer, etc.
>>
Germany used to be the best, but is so stuck in tradition and unable to adapt that they'll never be that relevant again despite still making delicious beers.

Belgium is the same but less so. I've met plenty of people who are immediately turned off by belgian yeast strains, but never someone who was turned off by an "american yeast strain"

America is doing all of the best beers in the world. It's the only country who isn't afraid to constantly improve and make everything new (sometimes so much that it flops). They get a bad rap because american macro beer is the worst in the world outside of Asia, but that doesn't discredit that American craft beats all others.
>>
>>7412464
>VB

Troll detected. Little Creatures for life
>>
>>7412448
Most of our craft/microbrew is pish. Punk IPA is one exception but we're really not one the best.
>>
>>7413331
>worst in the world outside of Asia
Someone has never been to Africa.
>>
>>7413382
Tusker is pretty good m8
>>
>>7412788
fuck YES I love this shit

[spoiler]though let's be real senpai Belgian beer is better[/spoiler]
>>
>>7413384
So is Asahi in Asia

Point is if you order a beer in Africa you're more than likely going to get dish water, and it's the worst dishwater you'll get anywhere
>>
>>7413367
Sorry famalam but Coopers is Australias best brewery/
>>
>>7413382
Why would anyone go to africa
>>
>>7413400
Diamonds
Gold
All the rare-earth minerals needed to make your precious cellphone so you can text your BFF 24-7 and keep up with twitter
>>
>>7413404
Arabia has oil, that's still no reason to visit the repulsive place
>>
>>7413404
>>
>>7413404
I was talking about vacation wise. Not to be a miner
>>
>>7413422

Sure. But that's because there's plenty of other places to get oil from. There are a lot of things that can either only be found in Africa, or perhaps they do exist elsewhere but not in commercially viable concentrations.
>>
I'm going on vacation to Mexico soon. What's the good beer there?
>>
>>7413446
Okay Mbungo
>>
>>7412654
Fucking close to.
>>
>>7413331
>"America is doing all of the best beers in the world."
>"doing"

The USA has improved vastly and currently houses many top breweries, but it is very far from being responsible for all the best beers or being the only innovator. Claiming so just proves that you don't have a clue about brewing outside the States.

Skimming a buzzfeed or techinsider list of 'Best Beers' as voted by Americans on an American forum does not provide comprehensive knowledge of the beer scene.

Rankings based on international expert panels are still dominated by European produced beers in most categories.
>>
File: img_0992.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
img_0992.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>7410880
England.
>>
hi /int/
>>
>>7413655
+1
I lived in NYC where people are supposedly more worldly than the heartland but the mindset was still overwhelmingly america-centric. Americans are the new British in that respect, they travel and sample the whole world but only see what agrees with their sensibilities
>>
>>7412485
Well, that's fashion.
The Germans have done their shit for a long time. Actually I like that they don't easily change their style just because there might be a market for different types of beer for a while.
>>
>>7413730

Trying new things doesn't mean you have to abandon the old ones.
>>
>>7413655
yeah but europeans hate americans. i doubt theyd ever let us take beer away from them no matter how good we get.
>>
Mexico
>>
File: 49.png (59 KB, 207x214) Image search: [Google]
49.png
59 KB, 207x214
>>7413659
Hobgoblins OK but pic related is the superior ale.
>>
>>7413880
No, Europeans don't hate Americans. Maybe some do, but not generally. There are some things most Europeans consider "disturbing" in American politics, though, but this is probably not the board to discuss this.

However, as a German I can confirm you are definitely right about the beer market. American beer will never ever take over a real lead role in Germany, no matter how good that beer might actually be or become one day.
And I'm 100% sure that this is even 10 times true for the Czech republic.
Not sure about countries such as Italy or Spain, though.
>>
>>7412788
I drink this for lunch every wednesday at a local cafe, draft. Highlight of the week
>>
>>7413516
In general the macros are all pretty low-tier. I like Victoria, but by "like" i mean "its so weak and mild I can drink a litre and feel refreshed w/o being too buzzed and its also cheap af".

Theres a few good breweries that have risen in the past few years, if you go to the "hip" part of whatever city youre in bars will prob have a good variety. Cant think of any names off the top of my head tho.
>>
>>7414057
Also, Corona is actually consumable in Mexico, compared to the skunk piss they sell as corona in other countries. But its still not good, and usually costs more than equally palatable beer (tecate, victoria, sol, pacifico, etc)
>>
Can anyone explain why IPAs are so popular? They all taste like garbage to me.
>>
>>7414083
High abv beers are usually fairly sweet due to a lot of unfermentable sugars..... The bitterness from the hops offsets the sweetness. good IPA's have an enjoyable interplay between malty sweetness and hop bitterness.
>>
>>7414083
Consumers like them because if you're used to drinking mainly macrolagers, an IPA is a burst of flavor. Breweries, especially new ones, like making them because they appeal to critics and consumers and all the hops mask any off-flavors from the brewing process.

It's like playing music. It's a lot easier to play loud than it is to play softly.
>>
>>7413400
To drink cheap Guinness Foreign Extra
>>
>a board on 4chan is in a semblance of agreement over america being good at something
huh
>>
>>7414124
If you're in Europe or america I guarantee there are better options
>>
Belize
>>
>>7414169
This is the best board, after all.
>>
>>7414064
>skunk piss

100 percent accurate, though I will still drink it if offered it
>>
>>7414169
Pretty sure most of the 'strayans are asleep right now. That's why.
>>
England
Germany
Belgium
USA

(not in order)
>>
>>7410880
Earth
>>
>>7413659
>Hobgoblin as an example of good English beer

s m h
>>
>>7410880
Pointless question.

I assume an American just has a different taste than a German who has a different taste than a Birt who has a different taste than a Japanese etc. etc.

Not even talking about individual, personal taste...
>>
>>7413670
To be fair, it's hard to get New Yorkers to care about anywhere that isn't New York, let alone other countries
>>
Depends on what styles you like and if you prefer to measure that by average quality of beer or by the high ends.

America makes some amazing stuff, much of it in styles other countries barely touch. But if you drink anything too widely available it's going to be garbage.
>>
>>7414336
there is literally no beer i would not drink for free. I feel like this is a fairly common sentiment.
>>
>>7410880
California and Oregon
>>
>>7413655
Germany and Belgium are still making most of the best versions of the beers they pioneered. I can't think of an American made Belgian Strong Dark that competes with Gulden Draak or a Hefeweizen that competes with Weihenstephan. Still, America is where all the innovation is and where the most exciting things are happening. We haven't invented much, but we've improved upon many styles. Two of the newer trends in Belgium are IPA's and barrel aged beers. Both found huge surges of popularity in previous years in America.

Your strawmans about buzzfeed articles are honestly unwarranted. I'm very aware of brewing in many countries. I sell beer for a living and my portfolio is about 80% imports, most of that being Belgian and German and I still think America is making the most interesting, best tasting beers in the world.

There's room for every beer from every country in my eyes. I had a Hofbrau Dunkel lager earlier today. It's one of my favorite beers of all time and a classic embodiment of the style. The last beer I had today was Ballast Point's new Watermelon Dorado. It was somewhat cloying, but overall an interesting and delicious dipa that I've never had anything like before.

In short, you're stupid and pointlessly limiting in your argument. Just drink better beer ya nerd.
>>
>>7411406
Top kek my friend. Well meme'd
>>
1. Belgium
2. US
3. Germany or UK
4. UK or Germany
5-100. who cares, doesn't matter
>>
File: Screenshot_20160226-122846.png (771 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160226-122846.png
771 KB, 1080x1920
>>7414908
You mustn't have tried Hammer & Tongs yet.
>>
>>7413331
The US obviously makes the best IPAs, stouts, strong red ales, etc., but Germany still makes the best double bocks and Belgium still makes the best tripples and Belgian golden ales, etc., so they're still in the discussion. I've never had an American version of those types that's on the same level as the German and Belgian ones.

And our innovation and gimmicky and intense beers don't really add to the discussion because they don't necessarily make a beer better.
>>
>>7413960
I was at the Stone brewery last summer, and during a tour the guide told us they'd be opening up the first American craft brewery in Germany, this year or late last year I think. Actually, here it is http://berlin.stonebrewing.com/about

Stone's one of the older brewery's specializing in super-hoppy and over-hoppy IPAs the craft beer seen is characterized by. Some of their offerings are good, but many are just over the top.

It'll be interesting to see how US craft beers affect the Euro beer scene. I can't imagine they'll have much of an impact, as Euros could just brew super-hoppy beers if they wanted. I know it'd be cool to have local breweries here making European beers we can't currently get.
>>
>>7414083
IPAs can be perfectly good and refreshing, but honestly most of them are just too bitter or otherwise too indelicate/simple. There needs to be a detectable, nuanced range of flavor along the hoppy-malty spectrum. There are a few IPAs that do this well, but not many.
>>
File: Vedett_Extra_Blond_900.jpg (106 KB, 585x900) Image search: [Google]
Vedett_Extra_Blond_900.jpg
106 KB, 585x900
>>7410880
Belgium and if you disagree you probably never tasted a sweet belgium trippel or ipa
>>
>>7410881
kek
>>
File: paderborner_export.jpg (44 KB, 400x800) Image search: [Google]
paderborner_export.jpg
44 KB, 400x800
Central Europe. Everything from Belgium and Baden to Austria, to Poland, to Denmark and between.
It's a bit petty to think in national borders as they are today. Much of this area used to be part of the same federation of states and shared a lot of culture, including beer brewing.
>>
>>7411394
schlenkerla?
>>
Where's the best Amber/Red Ale?
>>
>>7411385
Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock

mmmmmm
>>
>>7410881
america is not a country you fucktard
>>
>>7413905
>titanic plum porter
no i know you're not serious m8
>>
>>7416282
That's the one. First smoked beer I ever tried and was blown away. Still the best one I've had.
>>
>>7412418
Many of the best German beers dont get exported, so its hard to make proper judgement of their beers without visiting the country.
>>
>>7415218
>The US obviously makes the best IPAs, stouts
Eh, not true in my experience.
>>
>>7415159
>"stupid and pointlessly limiting in your argument"
Says the guy who wrote:
>"Germany ... 'll never be that relevant again"
>"America is doing all of the best beers in the world. It's the only country who isn't afraid to constantly improve and make everything new"
>"American craft beats all others."
>"America is where all the innovation is"

You are deluded.
I don't believe for one second that you have an anywhere near comprehensive knowledge of brewing in Belgium, Germany, France, Denmark, the UK or really anywhere outside the USA.
Ever heard of Purity Brewing, BrewDog, Hook Norton, Bavik, SNAB, Nogne O or Mikkeller?
>>
>>7416454
BrewDog and Mikkeller are brewing in a modern American style made popular from the American craft beer revolution.
>>
File: gulden-draak.jpg (74 KB, 591x886) Image search: [Google]
gulden-draak.jpg
74 KB, 591x886
Belgium, followed by us. My logic is that THE best beer I've ever had is pic related, followed by American brews. The American craft brew revolution is kinda gay because every faggot here is like "MUH IPA!", but looking beyond Inebriated Pale Asses, there's a treasure trove of gold here now. My two favorite u.s. brewers out of everything I tried, are devil's backbone and dominion brewery, with devil's backbone being my favorite. I enjoy all of their beers. They are all god tier, and they're always cooking up something new and surprising. They only have a few regular production brews. and because I happen to live in the state of production, It's still only $9 and change for a sixer. It's what I buy when I want to have a good beer. Killing their "danzig" baltic porter right now actually. Also, taste aside, they have the best art I've ever seen on beer. Some are waifus (none lately but when summer rolls around they'll bring my waifus back!), but the rest are just slayer as fuck!
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.