[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dickey's Barbecue Pit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: DSCN1376_full.jpg (93 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1376_full.jpg
93 KB, 1024x768
5 Stores are gonna open up in my state later this year. Any of you eaten here before? How was it?
My state has pretty much no american BBQ places so im kinda looking forward to these.
>>
>>7409789
its shit
>>
>>7409790
well that sucks.
>>
I'm in Utah and it's leagues better than most of the bbq in my area, so, good for utah probably mediocre everywhere else
>>
>>7409794
i live in hawaii so the expectations for american BBQ are extremely low
>>
File: image_12.jpg (95 KB, 483x724) Image search: [Google]
image_12.jpg
95 KB, 483x724
>>7409803
Their spicy cheddar sausage and pulled pork are my favorites
>>
>>7409794

It's sad the Mountain States have no BBQ culture.

Maybe it's 'cause the pioneers were always on the move. No time to stop and slow cook meat.
>>
It's like a cross between a fast food joint and lower end bbq restaurant. It's cheaper bbq but you get what you pay for.
>>
I've been to multiple Dickey's locations multiple times. Here is the low down:

>go on Fridays for the pulled pork special
>get fried okra and mashed potato casserole
>get their spicy barbecue sauce
>get their sweet tea
That's it.

Avoid the ribs.
>>
>>7411452
This. One opened up in my hometown in the middle of nowhere. But being in New Jersey, the rent and whatever costs are higher so the prices are higher there relative to other stores. I pay like 15 dollars for an entree but it's really not worth that. I suppose if you want bbq right away for some reason, it's worth it but usually no. Might as well make it yourself. They do have free soft serve ice cream if you dine in. All you can eat. But that's like the only perk.
>>
>>7411452
Pretty much this. I've never been terribly impressed with their BBQ, but they made an ok chicken fried steak.

Here in central Texas, Dickey's is pretty much low to shit-tier BBQ compared to all the other excellent BBQ places around here.
>>
>>7411500
Close, Austin area.
>>
>>7411514
>t.bh
>.
baka desu senpai...
>>
>>7409789
i have been dragged to dickey's many times. i have never felt excited while eating BBQ
>>
>>7409827
There's some good BBQ to be had in Colorado, but you're right about there being no real BBQ culture. It's all imitations of styles created in other parts of the country.

That being said, Smokin Yards BBQ in Idaho Springs is pretty damn good.
>>
eh its meh. all the times ive had their brisket it seemed kind of dry or something
>>
File: 1455910538517.png (495 KB, 732x680) Image search: [Google]
1455910538517.png
495 KB, 732x680
>>7409789
is Kinders better?
>>
their cornbread is decent
and they give out free soft serve ice cream so thats a plus if you have kids

but the price and portion size is not worth it at all
you're better off going to Famous Daves
or a local place
>>
It's meh at best

Portion size is small as fuck
But the sauces is decent
>>
>>7409789
ate there the first time recently. was trash.

chains can't and shouldn't serve something called BBQ. Also this is one of those places that tends to think of BBQ as beef with a red sauce of some kind. BBQ is pork with a vinegar based sauce. Only.
>>
How does Famous Dave's compared to this place?
>>
>>7409794
If you're in SLC you should go to R&R or Pat's. I think R&R is better though.
>>
>>7412804
Dickey's isn't good but its retard thinking that there is only one way to make a dish with widely varied recipes
>>
Without coupons it is very expensive, however I went to one with a coupon for a big BBQ sandwich + drink for only $2.50 and with free ice cream you really can't beat that price
>>
>>7412807
i don't know about dickey's
but, famous dave's is great
good price
fast service
bad caterer though.
>>
>>7412857
This is my problem with it. Its in the Domino's tier. Not I don't give a shit because its cheap of little Ceasars and not great but totally acceptable for the price of Papa Johns and Pizza Hut. Its not good but not worth the money.
>>
>>7412882
when you get in the price range of around $10 a meal, a couple dollars extra can bump up the experience tremendously
>>
>>7412804
>BBQ is pork with a vinegar based sauce. Only.

No, nigger, no.

It's ALL good, when it's done right, regardless of the region.

Whole hog, pork butt, pork ribs, beef brisket, beef ribs, chicken, turkey, sausage, it's all great when it's cooked properly, with or without a sauce.

If you can't appreciate the regional customs and approaches to BBQ, including their unique sauces, then you might as well be a submissive limp-wristed faggoty urbanite foaming at the mouth about "muh autenic New Yahk pizza!".
>>
>>7412909
Hey, at least he's not as bad as the mega-autist who says that meat with sauce or seasonings on it is bad.
>>
>>7409789
mediocre and extremely overpriced

you will almost always be better off going to any local hole-in-the-wall place
>>
> Dickey’s Barbecue Pit still slow smokes all meats on-site

Never eaten there but it can't be worse than the places that toss a slab in the oven, douse it in cheap sauce and charge you $20+, then of course claim "BEST RIBS IN _______"
>>
File: happy loaf of bread.jpg (195 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
happy loaf of bread.jpg
195 KB, 768x768
Is it really that easy to screw up ribs?

I'm a New Yorker and even I know how to use a smoker and make ribs fit to fool a southerner. Literally all you do is make a rub and keep the smoker at a consistent temperature for six hours.
>>
>>7413234
living in hawaii there are almost no reasonable american BBQ places. Tony Roma's being the only place that comes to mind. BBQ here is strictly japanese and korean yakiniku
>>
>>7409789
its the olive garden or arbys of bbq
>>
>>7413234

Agreed 100%
It's not bad, but it's not great either. And yeah, it's expensive for what it is.
>>
>>7413309

I live just outside Houston and we have shit BBQ which includes places like Dickey's, Rudy's and several smaller family run places that have lost all hope. In fact, there are only a few decent BBQ joints in Houston. You have to drive to Pearland to get the top tier stuff.

I really want to build my own smoker out of 250 gallon propane tank and start up a small stand. If I do, I'll be sure to shill on /ck/.
>>
>>7413666
Rudy's isn't bad. I make a point to stop at one everytime I'm in Texas. Sure small places are better, but Rudy's isn't like McDonalds.

In Florida Sonny's is the big bbq chain. I don't think they even smoke their stuff.
>>
>>7413711

I agree that it doesn't suck, but why settle for "not bad" when there are plenty of options that are "fucking amazing".

Best BBQ I ever had was sold in a gas station parking lot by an old black man who had a homemade smoker trailer behind his beat-to-hell 1970's pickup truck.

>>7413666
>I really want to build my own smoker out of 250 gallon propane tank

That's the way to do it, bro. Propane tanks make awesome smokers. The metal is so thick that they maintain a much more even and stable temperature then most smokers you can buy. Just make sure you fill it up with water before you cut into it so you can be 100% sure there's no residual propane in there.
>>
>>7411514

There are parts of Austin completely over ran by hipsters from the Coastal Urbanite Containment Sites.

At least you don't have the c.u.c.s. problem up there...
>>
File: brisket.jpg (180 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
brisket.jpg
180 KB, 960x960
>>7413711

I agree it's not the worst but totally uninspiring for anyone who has real great barbecue. Since it's the only game in town it is elevated to GOAT tier by a lot of locals.

>>7413717

Will do.

>>7413718

Haven't been to Austin in a long ass time. I had to stop drinking alcohol at the height of the Jester King meme. I do like Salt Lick (eat me) though; their specials are awesome.
>>
Wish my city would have more BBQ joint

Since most of them are either in the deep ghettos or are sold by places that try to pass their restaurant off as "fancy" gourmet.
>>
Dickey's has failed badly in Los Angeles county. I'm glad these faggots didn't hire me because i later heard they serve small portions. No one wants to spend a lot of money on small portions. Besides the small BBQ joints in L.A. are a lot better. Dickey's was just going to be another Chipotle or Steak N Shake if it wouldn't had failed.
>>
Coming from KC I could not imagine not having a BBQ joint within a 5 minute reach
>>
I live between Dickeys, Kinders, and Famous Dave's. yet i always bbq and smoke my own meat.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.