[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good bacteria
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: Milk-kefir-grains.jpg (50 KB, 631x472) Image search: [Google]
Milk-kefir-grains.jpg
50 KB, 631x472
Anyone make their own milk or water kefir, or kombucha?
>>
>>7409738
>good bacteria
Lactobacillus and Pediococcus
>>
Does Kwas count?
>>
I make water and milk kefir about once a week.

Haven't made Kvass or Kombucha yet but it's on the list.
>>
It's similar to kefir, but my family makes this drink where you put a few generous tablespoons of plain yoghurt in a cup with water and stir. Amazing in summer. Wish I knew what it was called.
>>
File: boza.jpg (10 KB, 229x260) Image search: [Google]
boza.jpg
10 KB, 229x260
>>7409864
It's called yoghurt. Yoghurt was always traditionally a drink

Thread also just reminded me of Boza
>>
>>7409869
is it true boza helps with breast growth?
>>
Used to make milk Kefir all the time. Loved it but milk makes my cold sores go fucking full throttle so had to stop eating it.
>>
>>7409842
Kvas is tasty, definitely worth a try. I was in Sevastopol in the summer and had a carbonated honey kvas... gonna try and make something similar soon, but have no experience with making this kind of thing.
>>
>>7409864
Welcome to ayran wonderlaynd, Burat.
>>
I have sachets of milk kefir.. stuff, sitting on my shelf right now. I've never tried it before.

Should I commit to starting it?
>>
File: 1348959846601.jpg (12 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
1348959846601.jpg
12 KB, 220x165
>Anyone make their own milk
>>
Made sauerkraut once, fucking delicious stuff.
>>
>>7409931
No idea, I drank it while living in Bulgaria for a short period. I know it's quite fattening which is good since Bulgarians are all skinny hard working fucks.

>>7409957
No, you should buy Kefir grains and make real Kefir instead.

>>7409969
I have white and red cabbage sitting in the fridge and I've always been scared of fermented cabbage. What's the process for someone too lazy to open another tab and google it?
>>
I wanted to make my own yoghurt since its really easy to do. But I pussied out because I don't want mess around with kettles.
If I permanently move to a country where I can't buy sour creme, i will most likely bring along a box of it, so I can make some.
>>
>>7409869
It's not lassi is it?
>>
> yogurt or kefir from pasteurized milk
>>
>>7410008
My friend made it, I think you just shred it and add brine.
>>
>>7409738
To all the kefir makers, where have you bought you grains? There are many sold online so would you recommend one website/seller in particular?

Also what does kefir taste like?

How hard is it to make kefir milk?
Is there anyway to let the grains longer in order to get something more consistent and yogurt like?
>>
>>7410064
>But I pussied out because I don't want mess around with kettles.
>>
>>7410531
ebay, cheapest local one I could find. Amazon may be better but you're ending up with essentially the same thing either way.

Tastes like polish buttermilk, or slightly sour or slightly carbonated greek yoghurt, depending how you make it. You can also flavour it and sweeten it any way you like, I like using banana and almonds and I like it smooth rather than carbonated.

Water kefir is slightly different and tastes more like carbonated water with a hint of diluted beer.

Using different temperature and sugars you can make it as consistent as you like.
>>
>make their own milk

Several times a week but it usually ends up in a kleenex.
>>
>>7410531
ebay
>>
>>7410008
Shred cabbage, and layer in a crock with salt in each layer. Pound the cabbage to release juices. Cover the crock to submerge cabbage. There should be enough water in the cabbage to cover all of the cabbage.
>>
>>7410008
Nothing to worry about senpai, the salt genocides bad bacteria
>>
>>7410008
Here's an OK guide

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124
>>
File: 1453419079725.jpg (16 KB, 184x375) Image search: [Google]
1453419079725.jpg
16 KB, 184x375
My dad's been keeping a kombucha mushroom for a while. huge mushroom, i fucking hate kvass
>>
>>7409738
i make sauerkraut its easy and enjoyable. i like to put hot peppers in mine
>>
>>7410238
isnt unpasteurized milk expensive
>>
What the fuck is water kefir?
>>
>>7410008
dump it in a ceramic jar with some salt and lots of hot chiles. Put boiled stones on top. Seal jar. Leave it for 2 months on the counter, making sure it's nearly airtight.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.