[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kitchen Knives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_8743.jpg (1 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8743.jpg
1 MB, 1632x1224
No thread up.

Just picked this guy up today. Think I finally got my cutlery set for the foreseeable future.

>7 1/8" chef knife
>5 1/3" utility knife
>4" paring knife

That's pretty much what I need besides maybe a bread knife and a beater/cleaver for bones, right?
>>
>>7409700
>One day old
>already has imperfections
lel
>>
>>7409700
enjoy washing up.
>>
>>7409700
You don't really need a bread knife unless you work professionally or eat a lot of crusty bread for whatever reason. A standard chefs is generally fine as long as its sharp.

I guess you could get a cleaver if you want though. Don't get a "beater" since its more likely to chip/break.
>>
Should I cop a ux10 8.4" or should I just sharpen my anolon 8"?
I'm kinda hesitant on dropping £150 on a knife but it would probably be a much better and longer lasting blade
>>
File: IMG_20151009_230823.jpg (96 KB, 1500x460) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151009_230823.jpg
96 KB, 1500x460
all day erry day
>>
>>7409756
of course a bread knife is essential or are you a pre-cut-white-toast-pleb? good bread is never pre-cut as it doesn't contain shit preventing it going stale.
>>
>>7409700
>7 1/8" chef knife
lulz no chef uses a 7 inch knife
>>
>>7410244

Why can't you cut your bread with your chef's knife? Is it dull?
>>
File: ching chang.gif (495 KB, 245x240) Image search: [Google]
ching chang.gif
495 KB, 245x240
>>7410227
i keep mine in my car to deter the niggers from robbing me
>i had to use it once
>nog cut me off and nearly hit my car, stops and gets out screaming
>"wtf white boi i'll shove my dick in yo mouth, go back to U of R" (verbatim quote, in rochester ny, fyi)
>nog spits at me threw my slightly open window
>open my door, step outside
>i presented it without saying a word
>he squealed like a bitch and got back in his car
>i'm a fat white guy with very little fighting experience
>mfw opinel kept me from being BLACKED
>>
>>7410402
>things that never happened: the post
>>
>>7410429
believe it or don't, doesn't matter to me.

>i had a sandwich today
>BULL SHIT! NOTHING ON THE INTERNET IS TRUE
>>
What's the cheapest decent chefs knife?
europe / uk
>>
>>7410518
>implying that the likelihood of a fat piece of shit eating a sandwich and standing up to a crazed black man is the same

aaand I'm out
>>
>>7410539
>crazed black man
it was in the city fool, he was a normal black man
you might know them as niggers
>>
>>7410211
UX10 gyutou are fantastic knives. The steel isn't going to impress any of those spergs who insist on supersteel of the week, but today's supersteel of the week is next year's soccer mom bullshit. And the comfort and balance are second to none.

That said,
>santoku
lolno
>>
>>7410402
>I'm a fat white guy who carries around a $10 pocket knife for "self defense" and fantasizes about getting attacked by minorities
Every thread on /k/: the post
also, what really happened:
>fat white guy eating an extra value meal in his shitbox in the mcdonalds parking lot
>black guy walks past on the opposite side of the street
>fat white guy puts "snoop doggy dogg: gin and juice" on his car stereo in order to seem tough
>black guy can't hear it, continues walking
>fat white guy posts greentext fantasy on 4chan
>>
>>7411696
This.
>>
File: memeknives.jpg (3 MB, 4352x3264) Image search: [Google]
memeknives.jpg
3 MB, 4352x3264
>>
File: 1413865611006.gif (858 KB, 267x208) Image search: [Google]
1413865611006.gif
858 KB, 267x208
>>7409700
Can /ck/ suggest me a good knife to give my dad for birthday?
>>
File: images (40).jpg (12 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
images (40).jpg
12 KB, 300x225
Sweedish steel paired with Japanese technique & artistry God-tier Knives!
>>
>>7410557
A normal black man is not a nigger. You seem like a racist.
>>
>>7411687
yeah I had the gyutou in mind, only used the santoku pic because it looked the nicest
>>
>>7410324
Do you even own a bread knife bro? A regular unserrated knife will slide uselessly if you try to cut breads with hard crunchy crusts, that's the whole point behind a breadknife.
>>
>>7413354

Most breads can be cut with a chef's knife no problem, so long as it's sharp and you remember to use it in a sawing motion rather than pressing straight down.

If you have some kind of super hard bread you can start the cut by poking with the tip of the knife. Once you've got a start then cut like normal.

I'm not saying that a bread knife doesn't make it easier. I'm saying that it's not essential.
>>
>>7409700

Dunno why you bought the "utility" knife? What are you going to use that for that you cannot do with either the chef's knife or paring knife?

I'd add something with a longer blade. 7 1/8" is a tiny chef's knife--too short to cut steaks, open large fruit (melon), slice a roast, etc.

Cleaver is a good idea for breaking down meat/bones for making stock. No need to buy anything fancy, one from the asian market would be fine. Would cost $10 or less. Just make sure you get the heavy kind and not the thin vegetable ones.

Bread knife isn't a bad idea. No need to buy anything fancy here either.
>>
>>7413362
A knife is a tool that makes your life easier. Its up to you to use the tool.

To the topic at hand, a chinese style cleaver is HUGELY underrated. You can debone, carve, chop, process and fillet whole protein (fish etc), portion large pieces of protein (pork belly, quartering whole chicken, etc), it can do everything a chef knife can do, and its huge width makes it great for carrying things out of a tray or plate and onto a pan when you're cooking. Its weight actually makes it EASIER for chopping huge volumes of vegetables, even hard things like thick carrots, which is great for prep work. Its also the only knife that you should, would and can open a coconut with. Despite its many many uses, no one fucking uses them and it boggles my mind as to why.
>>
>>7413405

There are two types of chinese cleaver. A thin one--perhaps even thinner than a western chef's knife--that's the general purpose one. Can do anything a western chef's knife can do, and like you said is great for scooping up your food and moving it off the cutting board. But using one like that for chopping coconuts or anything heavy is silly. There is a totally separate type for that which has a much thicker blade. A general purpose chinese cleaver is not heavy at all. The bone chopper is.

Agreed they are super useful though. I own both types as well as a western chef's knife. I use the chinese knife most of the time. Only thing I use the western knife for is when I want the point to get into some narrow spot that the cleaver isn't as good for, like frenching a rib roast.
>>
>>7413430

There are actually 6 common grades of Chinese cleaver with a range of thicknesses and profiles
>>
>>7413430

I've owned and used the same thin-bladed cleaver for more than ten years. In that time I've chopped up hundreds of kilos of meat with bone still intact, portioned dozens of raw chickens and cracked open at least fifty coconuts and it is totally fine. I've lost probably a centimeter on the total width of the blade and at this rate it is more useful than I am and will probably outlive me. Cleavers do NOT give a fuck.
>>
>>7413445

yeah, but that much variety doen't matter much to the average cook. Heck, makers like Chan Chi Kee have dozens of different models and sizes. But for the typical person it comes down to the thin-bladed general purpose type and the thick and heavy bone chopper.

>>7413448
When I'm talking about chopping meat with a cleaver I don't mean breaking down a chicken. I mean chopping pig's legs (And not through the joints). Splitting cow's femurs. That kind of thing. I wouldn't attempt that with a general-purpose type.
>>
>>7413019
I am laughing harder than I have in months because of this fucking gif. Dear god, where did you find it?
>>
>>7410402
Hah, good thing I went to Clarkson.
>>
Do I love my small carbon petty knife because it's small, or because it's carbon? I don't know whether to upgrade my chef's knife to carbon or if it's just going to be the same.
>>
>>7413587

Oh somewhere online haha. It just cracked me up! Thanks for joining us tonight
>>
File: IMG_20160225_1459006_rewind.jpg (529 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160225_1459006_rewind.jpg
529 KB, 1920x1088
>>7409700
Hope you like blisters.
No bevel to the tang.

Wood is going there break .
Cherry wood.
Wood.
Fedora core
>>
>>7410211
Nice looking knife.
>>
hey ck I need some knives that will just do the fucking job and hold a god damn edge but I'm not interested in the dick measuring contest that buying knives has become. But on the other hand I do have a pretty good dick so I might as well have something those in the know will respect. waddya got for me?
>>
>>7416210
Takeda
>>
>>7416234
Yeah I also don't need to spend like that. Look nice though.
>>
>>7416210
MAC Pro series
>>
>>7410211
> Should I cop

Id worry more about talking like a nigga actually.
>>
File: 20160224_024634.jpg (631 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160224_024634.jpg
631 KB, 2048x1152
Nigerz
What do I use to file down the spine?
For reals question.
>>
>>7416275
steel file until flush and then use finer grits of sandpaper. Then use some simichrome paste on the tang, rivets, and bolster followed by some wood oil for the handle
>>
>>7416293

>tfw just steel it
>>
>>7416293
gay.
So just use a file on the spine?
I'll give it a shot.
thanks.
>>
>>7416293
>>7416317
Does this happen to you too, tho?
>>
>>7413242
I don't wanna get into one of those stupid knife arguments, and it does look good, but I can't deal with the lack of finger guard (what some people call a full bolster). It's uncomfortable when using a pinch grip and doing lots of prep. The narrow edge against one's middle finger is uncomfortable and gradually rubs against it. That's just my opinion, though.
>>
>>7416380
holy shit, You might be me.
Shit needs to get filed down.
Am I telling myself that?
Start with a big dick grain.
>>
>>7416317
>>7416346

What the fuck are you two talking about
>>
>>7416275
Return it. If the manufacturer can't be bothered to give you a proper finished product then why give them good money for it. If we are talking cheap knife that's another thing entirely but if a quality product it should be a quality finish.
>>
>>7409700
> utility knife
Literally why? You are already rocking a giant paring knife anyway.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.