[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking my Sommelier Certification test later this year, if anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: banner3.jpg (126 KB, 1400x580) Image search: [Google]
banner3.jpg
126 KB, 1400x580
Taking my Sommelier Certification test later this year, if anyone has taken it, any tips, I've aced all wine classes I've taken, but I know this test has a ridiculous failure rate.
>>
You know it's just a BJ proficiency test, right? You just get on your knees.
>>
>>7409424
Sounds like a Phd in being a douchebag
>>
>being this big of a cuck
>>
>>7409424
I haven't, but I have a few friends who are advanced somms. All I can say is know your shit. Study your ass off, then a night or two before the exam, relax, go out to dinner, see a movie, fuck your significant other. At that point, you know it or you don't. Relax and let fly.
>>
>>7409429
>>7409432
>>7409444
No, being just a chef sucks b/c getting fired or going out of business can be the norm unless you own a restaurant, being a Sommelier and a chef helps me get better jobs, but I need to take the test to get the certification so I can get a good job in a major city. So please fuck off trolls, it's a serious exam.

>>7409461
Yeah that's what some people I went to school with said, that's what I do, I just wanna know how much you need to know about specific countries, b/c Italy has no system and is a fucking trainwreck that's impossible to remember.
>>
>>7409482
Just do your best. It's a helluva lot to know. I've taken a couple of national certification exams in another field and passed. Again, PREPARE. Study your ass off. Then . . . relax. You know it or you don't. If you pass, great. If you don't, you're in good company, and you can learn from your mistakes. All the best to you anon. BTW: I'm nailing a tastey bottle of 2013 Petit Sirah right now. Tastey :-)
>>
>>7409482
Tangibly, what would this cert get you if you still plan on being a chef?
>>
>>7409424
>he still thinks wines taste different
>>
>tips for professional bullshitting
>>
this should help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PeKcWCC-tw
>>
>>7409542
Sooooo, one study in which the test subjects were lied to and manipulated proves there's no such thing as a wine expert? /pol/ quality logic. I've seen blind tastings. They're seldom 100%, but a lot of those guys are badass.
>>
>>7409501
I'm already a chef, this certification is proof that I'm a true Sommelier, who get paid alot of money to just make wine lists and budget, and as I get older, I can't be running around kitchens forever, I just believe in mastering every aspect of a restaurant, from managing budgets, to cooking at every station, knowing all the wines, being a waiter, to making the menu and controlling the pass.
>>
>>7409497
Sweet, yeah I've been studying for almost a year now, just need to know it's passable, btw eat some lamb chops with that Petit amigo, the tanic of Sirah/Shiraz are insane.
>>
>>7409522
>>7409538
They do have different flavors WTF??? The people that I do know who are the wine stewards all have certifications and got the jobs over others b/c of it. I'm not a wine snob, nor am I a huge fan of it, like I said I need every advantage I can have, if this certification gets me closer to that goal, as well as my head chef experience, then I'm probably getting hired over most others b/c with Marriott the main test is making a 3 course meal for the GM, head chef, head of marketing, and the VP of hotel operations, in which you have to pair wines with all 3 courses. I'm not snobbin, and I wouldn't spend alot of money on this test if I didn't think it would help. Which is why I was asking the challenge of it b/c I know the failure rate is huge.
>>
>>7409579
I wish. Man, that sounds good. The vineyard produces a Petit Sirah with lighter tannins than expected (the wine is unfined), so I'm just drinking it. It's like a nice burgundy in that it changes every 10 minutes. Black cherry to wisteria to cocoa to black plum . . . . What a treat. Best of luck anon. You'll get there.
>>
>>7409590
>Dark fruit flavored Sirah

Dat's that dank shit, thanks for the support, which vineyard/area does it come from?
>>
>>7409597
Oddly enough, it's Ugandan; you wouldn't think it, but Ugandan wines are creeping onto the scene surprisingly well
>>
>>7409542

what an idiot
>>
>>7409522
>you think some show on tru tv or buzzfeed article is an accurate representation of wine experts
>>
What exactly is it about wine that upsets dumb, tasteless poor people so much? It is honestly hilarious.
>>
>>7410158
all the blind studies 100% conclusively proving that so called "wine experts" can't tell the difference between a $4 and a $200 bottle.

Wine is a nice alcoholic drink but all the mythos around it is the definitive "Emperor's New Clothes".
>>
>>7409585
>>7409565
>he doesn't know nice things are a scam
>he actually thinks he's better than us just because he eats stuff that didn't come out of a frozen boxed microwave dinner
Get a load of this stuck up fag, who do you think you are anyway?
>>
are you going to come back here and tell us the result?
>>
>>7409424
Today I spent $9 on 1.5L of Fairbanks Ruby Port. What kind of person would you recommend this wine to and with what food pairing.
>>
>>7409565

So as a counter argument against a documented event you present anecdotes, that's why I hate whine fags.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis
>>
>>7409572
Diggin' your mindset/approach. Wish you the best of luck
>>
>>7410713

Most apparently nice things are a scam, if you are made of money just pay top dollar and rely on the scammers wanting repeat customers and not ripping you off too badly.

Otherwise use science and skepticism.
>>
>>7409597
That Uganda reply wasn't me. It's from Massa Ranch vineyard in Yountville. The winery is Hopper Creek Winery, in Yountville.
>>
>>7410158
They feel badly because they can't afford to get in to it, so they attack it and tear it down. Real white trash tier stuff.
>>
>>7412545
Poorfag detected. Let the Butthurt flow.
>>
>>7412531
Learn to read, fucktard. If you had more than a 2nd grade education, you'd know that 1 study done by people with an axe to grind means nothing.
>>
>>7409542
Interesting tests, but not exactly conclusive.

You should know that the sommelier exam involves a blind tasting. For this tasting, the one taking the exam must list tasting notes, and origin information accurately without knowing anything about the wines before hand.

Of course the video series that you linked is all about giving contrarian information without any regard for truth. Still cool because it might make you question some stuff, but if you believe it outright without any extra research you are a sheep.
>>
>>7412670
Just to expand on this a bit.

The studies referred too in the video really only get at two things:
Color affects taste perception
Labeling (and price knowledge) influence taste perception

Neither of those are really surprising.
Heck, sound can make a huge difference, with certain sounds increasing sweetness by 10 or so percent and others increasing bitterness by nearly triple that.

Of course wine (and any sensory analysis) is subjective, but experience and knowledge on a subject will tend to increase the reliability of opinion of the person who is tasting it.

And wines definitely do taste different. Anyone who doesn't think so has not tasted many wines, or is nose/tongue blind.
>>
>>7412617

That article I linked referenced four studies, two of which were published in Journal of Wine Economics.

Mean while on the other sides we now have added ad hominem to the anecdotes, a strong case too.
>>
>>7412696
>experience and knowledge on a subject will tend to increase the reliability of opinion of the person who is tasting it

Then why are their opinions so early swayed by what they're told to pretend to believe?
>>
>>7412696

Sure, some plonk caubernet sauvignon isn't going to win in a white wine contest even with blindfolds.

Within a given class of whine though, experts are utterly unable to rank whines by quality consistently.
>>
>>7412762
How is that even a question?

All of our opinions on everything are very easily swayed.

>>7412776
I can agree with this to an extent. Utterly unable? No. Not consistent? True.

You missed the previous post about what a sommelier must do on an exam.
>>
>>7412531
That's not a blind taste test. That's lying about what you're drinking. You can give people a bunch of pairs of the same pair of jeans and tell them they're from different designers, and they'll claim there are differences, because they know there SHOULD BE a difference. The same thing can happen with basically anything. All that study proves is that the differences between wines isn't as significant as the difference between ketchup and mustard. A proper test would be to eliminate all cues except taste in a bunch of actually different wines, and seeing how they judge that.
>>
>>7412782

So, can you show me the methodology used in the taste test and some actual results? ;)

Or hell, any trustworthy third party test where a master sommelier was given some random cheap brand plonk and identified region/year?
>>
>>7410650
So they can't guess the price of wine? That's completely irrelevant. Can they accurately describe the flavor notes intended for the wine and region of the grapes? Can they make excellent wine pairings? That's what being a sommelier is about.
>>
>>7413259

No, they can't consistently rank the quality of whine. Not between them and not even against themselves if they have to repeat the tasting.
>>
How do I git gud at wine? I like it a lot but I know very little about it.
>>
>>7409424
>sommelier
>let me tell you why your taste is shit: the job
there's literally nothing a sommelier does that a backstreet wino standing beside a barrel fire cant tell you.
>>
>>7412743
No shit. Studies with poor design still provide shit data. Spin it how you may; produce however many garbage articles you may. None of this disproves that, with diligent study and work, one can learn to blind taste. Of course it's not 100%. Duh! There are a gajillion variables. The fact that the trained palate can do even well enough to be statistically valid is amazing. You say I've committed ad hominem: Yes I have. I don't suffer fools. I'm going to forward your argument to /sci/ for a clinic on entropy - it's dissolving before my eyes.
>>
>>7412784
Exactly. The "studies" that "disprove" blind tasting of the TRAINED palate (not novice, not marginally experienced) are rubbish. If studies of medical devices and pharmacological agents were of the same slipshod design, everyone who sought medical care would be dead. Well put, Anon.
>>
>>7415227
Don't know any Somms, do ya? Stick with that Bud Ice, anon. It suits you.
>>
>>7415787
Mate I appreciate that you agree with me but there's really no need to shove your mouth right onto my cock like that.
>>
>>7409585
Reddit what the fuck are you doing here?
>>
File: 1375309568025.jpg (110 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
1375309568025.jpg
110 KB, 500x688
>>7410650
>100% conclusively proving that so called "wine experts" can't tell the difference between a $4 and a $200 bottle.

I'd suggest you sell everything you own and go find some of those 'experts' and bet all your money on that. These sorry fools won't even know what hit them.
>>
>>7414941
Price does not always equal quality, and did you ignore the rest of my post? The coolest and most important aspect of a sommelier is accurately detecting the flavor notes and region of origin.
>>
>>7415782

It's not proof, it's evidence. I bring mine and then you bring yours. Mines published in journals, yours is hidden behind closed doors with no published methodology nor actual results.

Here's a nice exercise. Find a sommelier contest which provides the results of it's blind testing identification results.
>>
>>7416244

See >>7416147. If this wasn't 4chan I'd challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. Bloody wanker.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.