[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Keeping bread fucking ACE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1456262748138-1223725569.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1456262748138-1223725569.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Okay, in 40 minutes I'll have a sourdough-bread ready, and I will take it with me to a girl tomorrow and eat with soup for dinner. Now, I want this bread to be as fresh as possible for the next 20 hours before consumption. How should I do it, put it in an air-tight plastic bag, a plastic container, paper bag, room temp, minus degrees etc? I'm kind of desperate, I want this to be as good as possible. Thanks in advance, /ck/.

Pic kind of related, my last bread.
>>
If you want the crust to stay crunchy, leave it out. If you want the crust to be softer, put it in a bag.
>>
File: ligoCMz.jpg (74 KB, 960x658) Image search: [Google]
ligoCMz.jpg
74 KB, 960x658
>>7407973
Hmm, I guess I'll leave it out then, but should I put a towel over it? Will it draw more moisture from the bread or keep it fresh for longer? Will post the new bread in ~ 30 minutes.

>Tfw forgot to draw on it with a razor

Pic unrelated
>>
>>7407964

If you have a box made out of wood, put it in there. If not, go for the paperbag. A shadowy, non heated room is best but DO NOT put it in the refrigerator.
>>
>>7407993
I just leave it out on the counter when I make bread. Covering it tends to soften the crust. The inside should stay soft for a couple of days or longer until you cut into it.
>>
>>7407964
is this a picture of a picture on a computer screen?
>>
>>7408000
Yes... I failed miserably, I thought: "Hey, better use my phone to start the thread since I don't have any pics of the bread on my computer!". But I didn't have any pictures on the phone, I had just taken them and sent them in the facebook chat. So then I was like "this is totally not a stupid idea and noone will point out that I'm so stupid". Füg. Anyways, the new bread will be photographed directly, I promise.
>>
File: 145626493003888172663.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
145626493003888172663.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
OP here, turned out great! Thanks for all the advice!
>>
>>7408082
Nice job OP. Work on that scoring though.
>>
>>7407997
This.
People who put bread in the refrigerator are enemies of bread.
>>
>>7408486
Yeah, totally forgot, again.

>>7408527
I would never do that, I thought more in the line of insta-freezing (like they do in bread factories) it because of the cold outside.
>>
>>7408527
I've always refrigerated bread. It tends to get mouldy fast when left out.
>>
>>7408082
Hnnnnnnnnnnnggg how do you get a crust like that?

My crusts always end up smooth and boring looking, even if i score the bread. I just want that crunchy rough surface
>>
>>7407964

Air tight, room temperature.

cold and air are the enemy of bread

>>7407993
let it cool completely before putting it in an airtight bag, then you'll have your crust
>>7408082
nicely done
>>
>>7410218
wrap in cloth.
>>
What that advice also apply to a bread like pumpernickel? I'd like to start baking my own, but I eat only a bit of bread a day... so if it goes bad after five or six days it's pretty much a waste
>>
>>7409557
>I've always refrigerated bread

slice it, bag it, and freeze it.
>>
Into the fridge it goes
>>
>>7410218
>enemy of bread

Moisture is much worse than air is. Plastic bags trap moisture so they're a no-no. The bags you see on the supermarket shelves are special plastic that is made to breathe. Unless you have access to special bread bags plastic is a bad idea.

>>7410263
Sure, it would apply to all breads.
>>
long time refrigerator of bread here

and then i learned i was wrong. there's absolutely no reason to keep it in the fridge, for any reason. i just keep it covered now, not even airtight, not even in the dark, and the bread will last fine (i've never had any mould grow, and sure it'll go a bit stiff after 6-7 days, but it's toastable)
>>
>>7410328

that's why I specifically said to let it cool. cool to the touch= no condensation. plastic bag or plastic wrap all the way.

>>7410263

freeze it if you only have a bit at a time. slice it, double bag it and take a slice out at a time.

I do this for work, keep patties and bread slices in the office kitchen freezer and take one of each when I have lunch, it lasts forever
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.