[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I been experimenting with onions, got sick of chopping so I been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: sicario_brolin_deltoro.jpg (58 KB, 630x419) Image search: [Google]
sicario_brolin_deltoro.jpg
58 KB, 630x419
I been experimenting with onions, got sick of chopping so I been sticking them in the food processor before trying to caramelize them

Does this technique have a name?

Also what temperature for good caramelization
>>
>>7407749
It's the lazy fuck, or Jack, method.
>>
>>7407752
Ignore this YouTube loving, non cooking faggot.
Onion purée has a lot of uses. try this:
>http://foodviva.com/cooking-basics/onion-puree/
>>
>>7407756
So sensitive today Jack, it'll be okay you worthless faggot.
>>
>Does this technique have a name?
The takes longer, does a shitter job and takes more effort process.

>Also what temperature for good caramelization
As low as it'll go
>>
>>7407763
see
>>7407755
You two should get a room some time, it's pretty obvious you're a pair of cum-gargling autists with limited intelligence.
>>
>>7407764
I got em on at 250F now.
>>
>>7407779
>cum-gargling autists
KEK
>>
File: 1456180748447.gif (3 MB, 517x343) Image search: [Google]
1456180748447.gif
3 MB, 517x343
>>7407779
>that level of butthurt
>>
>>7407779
You're so sensitive I'm going to nickname you glans.
>>
Update, 90 minutes into cooking the onions, slight darkening but they are definitely still raw
>>
>>7407975
>90 minutes into cooking the onions
Nightmare fuel. For fuck sake.
>>
File: IMG_0899.jpg (589 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0899.jpg
589 KB, 1224x1224
here we go, end result of 110 minutes of cooking, it's 25% of it's original volume, nice brown caramel color
>>
File: IMG_0902.jpg (508 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0902.jpg
508 KB, 1224x1224
for those following the saga, the garlic chicken which will accompany the onions is going well
>>
I like onion puree for some things, but if you want a really fine dice without half of it being mush, I highly recommend a slap chop. You dice the onion normal, then chop it up for about 30 seconds.

Before people start ragging on me, I know how to chop an onion, and own two food processors (one mini). I just find the slap chop to get the rice grain consistency without mush or minutes of repeatedly running a knife over it.
>>
>>7407749
Hey I just watched this moobie. :^)
>>
>>7407749
I wonder if pressure cooking it will turn it into pure Caramel like you would with a can of condensed milk.
>>
>>7408048
>110 minutes of cooking
the fuck man caramelized whole onions take like 15 minutes tops
>>
>>7408211

If it takes you "minutes" to get fine dice with a knife then no, you don't know how to chop an onion. Either that or your knife is dull.
>>
>>7408248

The condensed milk thing works in a pressure cooker because the milk is sweetened. It has a high ratio of sugar to liquid so it works OK.

Carmelizing onions, however, is a totally different ballgame. Onions contain a fuckton of water compared to the sugar. When you carmelize onions in a pan most of what's happening is cooking off all that water. That wouldn't happen in the sealed environment of a pressure cooker which traps the moisture rather than letting it escape.
>>
>>7410375

You're thinking sauteed onions not carmelized.
>>
>>7410375
Cooking an onion down =/= caramelizing an onion
>>
>>7410398
>>7410401
fugg i guess im not a true cu/ck/ i thought caramelized and sauteed were the result and process respectively
>>
>>7410405

When you sautee onions you're browning the exterior but keeping most of the moisture there. You are left with pretty much the same volume of onion that you started with; the amount of moisture loss is small.

When you carmelize onions you cook all the water out and then are left with little but the sugars and the starch in the onions. You end up with a lot less volume than what you started with. On the other hand the flavor is a lot more concentrated.
>>
>>7410422
thats what i get for thinking,thanks senpai
>>
>>7407749
i use onion puree when i do something with ground meet
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.