[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I have salmon for breakfast every day? It's expensive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: dsc_0012.jpg (1 MB, 2839x1993) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0012.jpg
1 MB, 2839x1993
How can I have salmon for breakfast every day? It's expensive stuff. I hear it's cheaper if you buy it canned with the bones still in, though. Could you make a decent schmear with that stuff? Would it be something a poorfag could enjoy regularly?
>>
File: 050506.jpg?v=7.jpg (23 KB, 214x300) Image search: [Google]
050506.jpg?v=7.jpg
23 KB, 214x300
If I'm going through smoked salmon cravings I just buy trimmings instead of fillets.

A lot cheaper and tastes the same. It just doesn't look as "appetizing", is all.
>>
>>7405849

i use these to make mousse/paté
>>
>>7405834
>I hear it's cheaper if you buy it canned with the bones still in, though.
Yep, I turn these into salmon "patties", bones and all. Its a shame if you hate the bones.

Though I do think about buying it in bulk, then freezing in portions.
>>
>>7405834
Having the same ingredient every day is not preferable, but if you smoke it then you're golden. You could put it on toast, bagels, crackers, etc.

Either way, I would suggest other good protein sources like the salmon, eggs, oats, etc.
>>
Nova lox on bagel with cream cheese
Flatbread with capers and shallots
Fishcakes with egg
salmon in scramble
Salmon mousse
Seafood paté on crackers
Breakfast wrap with salmon.

Why are you set on every single day?
>>
>>7405834
Catch your own and smoke it
>>
I get salmon for around 8aud a kg, that's as HOG. I've just got to get better at cooking it
>>
>>7405834
Farm raised stuff isn't that expensive where I am and one portion sliced as thin as OP's pic would be very economical.
>>
Befriend a fisherman
>>
I work in a meat department at a store; just ask your fucking butcher you poorfag.

$7-$8.50 per pound of farm/fresh salmon depending on quality of cut/skin/bones.

You'd need less than a 1/10th a pound per serving. That's 5-10 possible servings depending on your over-indulgent poorfag taste.
>>
>>7405834
>It's expensive stuff.
It's between £14/kg and £3/kg here, putting it lower than the price of chicken at times. I've bought whole Salmon (3-4kg) for £10 or less before.

Tinned Salmon is around £4.50/kg+

You must live in some shitty African state
>>
At least where I live, smoked salmon is only marginally more expensive than poultry, in cost-per-calorie. Whole salmon can be cheaper than poultry. So one thing you can do is understand that both poultry and salmon are luxury items in terms of their price per calorie.
>>
>>7405834
Catch and smoke it yourself.
>>
>>7405834
Do gravlax yourself it's super easy you donk.
>>
>>7406026
this is what I do to get weed
>>
I found cheap smoked salmon for $4. Can get a few days worth of bagels and lox
>>
>>7405834
>How can I have salmon for breakfast every day?
Move to Norway nigga
>>
>>7405834
>Could you make a decent schmear with that stuff
>a decent schmear
>schmear

I wonder who's behind this post...
>>
what is mercury?
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
I suggest making a 'smoked' salmon spread.

>1 cheap can of boneless salmon
>1 package cream cheese
>1 teaspoon liquid smoke
>garlic, salt and onion powder to taste
>mfw
>>
With a normal $7 pack of lox, you can get about 4 bagels out of it. On a $1 bagel with cream cheese, its about $3.25. I dont understand how thats super expensive.
>>
>>7405834
I've found the cheapest and best way is to fish them yourself.
Can't beat a fresh salmon you caught yourself.
>>
>>7405834
Aldi
>>
>>7405834
just buy fillet and use like half of it to make "gravad lax". you can have the gravad lax in the fridge for like 3-4 days at least. shouldn't be a problem to eat one fillet of salmon in 4 days total, at least assuming you eat some of it as lunch/dinner.
also salmon is a pretty cheap fish, at least in here, so buying it fresh shouldn't be that expensive either imo
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 240x200
>>7405834
>How can I have salmon for breakfast every day? It's expensive stuff.
>>
>>7407155
What this guy said. Gravlax is a satisfying alternative to smoked salmon - tastes great, slices nicely - and it's crazy easy and cheap to make.

Canned salmon can be used like tuna in tuna salads (though it becomes salmon salad when you do that). It doesn't taste like cured salmon, but it's good in its own way. Eat the bones, the bones are crunchy and good for you.
>>
>>7406526
>£3/kg

OP is obviously a jobless fag that he can't afford the fish but this sounds a little low for smoked salmon. Cheapest I've seen is around €25/kg.
>>
>>7405834

Are you on the quest for mercury poisoning or something?
>>
>schmear
this word triggers me
>>
>>7409516
>mercury
>fresh water fish

I know this is bait but you fucking hooked me harder than I'll hook your fat mom later tonight
>>
>>7409551
>lives in the sea up until it's ready to fuck and die
>fresh water
>>
>>7409544
Antisemite
>>
>>7405834
As many have mentioned before, get a whole salmon and either cure or smoke it. I would recommend curing it because it should last you a while.
>>
>>7406533
What are some non-luxury items in terms of price per calorie?
>>
>>7409638
The holocaust didn't happen like the jews say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlBA2zp992c and God hates the jews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styLx-iWwC8
>>
>>7409544
>>7409638
>>7410480
That escalated quickly
>>
Check the prices on kippers. Smoked herring, comes in a can. Don't get that same texture, but taste is in the ballpark.

>>7409516
It's not tuna you knob
>>
>>7410476
Staple foods and fats, including nuts and seeds, of course. Dairy is quite reasonable as well, eggs are a small step up. Even a prohibitively expensive imported staple like quinoa is at least twice as cheap as poultry, at least here.
>>
>>7410520
Thanks grosso famiglia
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.