[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I put sugar in my marinara sauce today and I liked it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I put sugar in my marinara sauce today and I liked it
>>
ok, thanks for sharing
>>
>>7401987
that is because you're balancing the saltiness and acidity of the other ingredients with sweetness, which enhances the flavour. Mind you, you can skip adding sugar and just use Ketchup - yes, ketchup. It's fairly high in sugar so a small amount can be used in place of.

Some (diced) canned tomatos, some (white) wine, a little bit of tomato paste, some ketchup, herbs n spices...
>>
File: 1414190740633s.jpg (7 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
1414190740633s.jpg
7 KB, 250x249
iktfb
>>
>>7401987

it's a good idea if your tomatoes aren't sweet enough as is

I usually use tomato paste to get the extra sweetness.
>>
Try adding grated carrots next time.

That's a super not secret Mario Batali trick that actually works really well to add sweetness - because that's how carrots are often used anyways.
>>
>>7402851

what about caramelizing some mirepoix before adding tomatoes
>>
>>7402881
>>7402851

>mirepoix before adding tomatoes

This right here. I use carrots for this exact reason too, or use a sweeter wine, either way this dish should be more savory, leave the sweet for another course
>>
>>7402881
that would be typical.

Fry off a little fatty cured meat like pancetta or guanicale to render a little fat into the pan first, then use that to fry off your mirepoix.
>>
No need to add sugar to marinara, add baking soda, about 1/4t per 16oz of sauce, during the last 5 minutes of cooking, then stir and simmer til it stops foaming. Learned it from David Burke, baking soda reacts with the acid in the tomatoes, lowers the pH of the sauce, let's the natural sweetness of the tomatoes shine through without altering the flavor profile
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.