[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coffee thread. How do you make your coffee? Discuss espresso
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 26
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Coffee thread. How do you make your coffee? Discuss espresso machines, moka pots, french press, aeropress, manual drip, anything coffee.
>>
V60 and a hario grinder. Went through about 5 chemexes, breaking one every few years. Finally tried a V60 and it hasn't broken yet.

Growing up we had one of those La Pavoni, it's how I got into coffee.

I mostly drink espresso after lunch and I almost never have lunch at home, so haven't been able to explain to myself why I need an espresso machine or a fancy grinder.
>>
>>7401340
Moka pot + Krups grinder. I also have a Nespresso machine I got for Christmas 2 years ago but I rarely use it.
>>
French press mustard race, but I enjoy espresso more but im too poor to get an espresso machine ;_;
>>
Clever dripper and a skerton.

I need to find a good roaster in Palm Beach, Fl.
>>
>>7401397
Might be worth looking into a moka. Not "real" espresso but it's very similar and good in its own right
>>
>>7401340
French press and moka pot.

>>7401340
>beautiful espresso machines
>with preground coffee
Why
>>
File: m5GFtXXADU7DxqwtuUqfAPg.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
m5GFtXXADU7DxqwtuUqfAPg.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
Stovetop vacuum pot. Yama brand because I couldn't find a Hario. Been using it for like 10 years and it's great.
>>
>>7401691
>Why
Because spending a lot is not the same thing as knowing what you're doing. One of the many lessons people in most gear-intensive hobbies figure out early that a huge proportion coffee people never quite grasp. We're basically the audiophiles of the food/drink world.
>>
File: 20160107_092651.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160107_092651.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Where can I find a better selection of whole bean coffee?
I ran out and reverted to drinking eight o clock original, it's actually a relief not having to wash the grinder every morning.
>>
>>7401340
>Cheapest machine ever
>Almost the cheapest coffee brand
>make half a pot
>drink from a 500 ml plastic cup
it's good. i mean it's just coffee.
>>
File: dicks and balls go in hole.png (76 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
dicks and balls go in hole.png
76 KB, 640x320
>>7402228
>Where can I find a better selection of whole bean coffee?
Up the street and around the corner to your left. Because I know where you are. shake my fucking head.
>flat blade spice chopper
[head shaking intensifies]

>>7401710
>not the same thing as knowing what you're doing
If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be using preground coffee and storing it in a clear plastic container.

Fuck I hate coffee threads.
>>
>>7402228
Order from Happy Mug or find a local roaster by you. You should get a better grinder.
>>
any roaster suggestions for california? i've tried a few but many are way overpriced and its hard to tell the difference between overpriced and high quality till you try it
>>
File: 1.png (189 KB, 485x684) Image search: [Google]
1.png
189 KB, 485x684
what is the wooden thing and string for?
>>
File: 1445763775523.jpg (9 KB, 230x240) Image search: [Google]
1445763775523.jpg
9 KB, 230x240
>>7402896
Decoration, idiot
>>
>>7401340
Anyone have both the Melitta pour over and Hario v60 and can say how the taste differs?

They're both like 20 bucks. Also is the Hario ideal to make only one cup with?
>>
>>7402896
Possibly to let you hold the hot glass vessel without burning yourself. But I'm just guessing because I have no fucking idea.
>>
>>7403317
They're both ideally for one cup servings. Melita is a little more forgiving and typically has a little bit "thicker" body.
>>
So I've become a huge fan of the French Press. It makes some delicious fuckig coffee lads let me tell you.

But is it normal for the coffee to be a bit oily on the top?
>>
>>7401340
Usually just Folgers classic from a drip coffee maker. I have a french press, and occasionally do a cold brew using beans that my local coffee shop roasted, but usually coffee is more self medication than a flavor treat for me.
>>
I just bought this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hario-v60-Pour-Over-Set-Kaffee-Handfilter-Starter-Kit-VCSD-02-EX-Geschenk-Paket-/252086005725

I'm gonna be using a really small teapot kettle with a total volume of about 350 ml for it instead of a proper gooseneck, hope it goes well lol
>>
my espresso machine isn't releasing pressure after each shot like it should. i've taken it apart and cleaned and lubed everything but it's still not working right and i can't figure out why. fucking pissing me off.

/vent
>>
>>7402842
Verve, Four Barrel, St. Frank, Ritual, Cat & Cloud
>>
>>7403405
Totally normal. That's the good stuff, the oils. It's also why a lot of paper filter methods don't taste as good, the filter holds on to the oil.

I make my coffee by ordering green beans through happymug, roasting them myself, grinding in my baratza virtuoso, then brewing in either French/Aero press, or moka pot.

Delicious.
>>
>>7403446
>It's also why a lot of paper filter methods don't taste as good
That's just like, your opinion man.

I used to like the thick Aeropress taste but nowadays I much prefer clear pour over. If you don't already have one you should get one, it's especially nice with a good grinder.
>>
So I've got a question for anyone else who uses a Moka pot - what beans do you find yield a good brew?

I've found most of the medium roasts I try to be slightly more tasty than the dark/light roasts I picked up, and I've been using a hand-powered burr grinder, but I want to expand a little. Any suggestions?
>>
>>7404242
What bean is subjective.

If you want to get the highest quality coffee, get some freshly roasted beans from a roaster. If you live somewhere big, you might have one nearby where you could try some. If not, order online. Personally I like South Americans.

>and I've been using a hand-powered burr grinder, but I want to expand a little.
I'm guessing it's a Hario/Porlex? The cheapest commonly recommended grinders are the Baratza Encore and Graef CM 702/800 which will give you a noticeable taste upgrade. If you want to stick to hand grinding, check out the LIDO.
>>
File: nespresso-thumb-1946456.jpg (71 KB, 625x600) Image search: [Google]
nespresso-thumb-1946456.jpg
71 KB, 625x600
Pod goes in, coffee comes out.
>>
>>7404267
>Pod goes in, poop comes out.
fixed
>>
>>7404270

>hurr only my specially weighed, hand ground, pour over, properly bloomed coffee is acceptable.
>>
>>7401340
McDonald's decaf. 4 cream 2 sugar
>>
>>7404280
>Why aren't you eating feces anon, it's great haha!
>Uhh no thanks, I think I'll go with the steak.
>What a party pooper you are anon, only eating real food.
>>
>>7404267
>3g of packaging for 6g of coffee

Why do hipsters hate the environment?
>>
>>7404295
you could spend your whole life trying to have a net negative footprint on the environment, meanwhile, some shitty company will put out more toxins and smog into the air and water in 1 second than you can manage to do in your whole life.
>>
>>7404294
>>7404295

>"Stop liking what I don't like."

Hipster? Come to Europe and notice how practically every restaurant is serving this.

>muh authentic italia siphon coffee

Also, they have a recycling program for the pods here. I think in America they have it too.
>>
>>7404333
Hey, it's ok to like poop. Everyone has their own fetishes.
>>
>>7404330
>the world's going to shit anyway, let me do my part

>>7404333
>Come to Europe and notice how practically every restaurant is serving this.
Only if you live in a country with no coffee culture at all.

>Also, they have a recycling program for the pods here
They still have to make them you dunce, and they're not 100% recyclable.
>>
>>7404333
>recycling program

Why do that when you could simply not generate the waste in the first place? That saves not only the material itself but the energy and pollution required to produce the little pods in the first place, and the energy to recycle them. Ever been to a recycling plant? Messy places.
>>
>>7404345
Realtalk, guys, the world would probably be doing better environmentally if we never recycled. People would be forced to confront the damage they're doing to the planet instead of pretending they're saving the world because of a tiny little band-aid they're putting on their own personal environmental footprint.
>>
>>7404613

Actually there's a really easy way to tell if recycling makes sense or not. And that's whether or not the recyclable will pay you for recyclable goods.

For example, scrap metal has value. A scrapyard will pay you cash money for things like copper, steel, aluminum, etc. Even rustbucket old cars. That's because they can process the scrap into clean metal for less than the cost of mining that metal from the earth. In that case it is literally 100% voluntary and benefits all involved. There is less need to mine/refine from ore and thus less pollution.

On the other hand, thinks like paper, plastic, and glass rarely get recycled because it costs more resources to recycle than it does to simply make new. E.g. it's cheaper to pump oil out of the ground to make plastic than it is to process old plastic into clean material. So the only time those things get recycled is when there's a government policy in place (like mandatory deposits for bottles), or in rare industrial cases in which the quality of the material is known.

Paper recyling is a good example. Paper is ideal to recycle if we could keep it clean. The problem is that if it gets contaminated with grease--say if someone tosses a pizza box in to the paper recycling bin--then the whole batch will take more effort to clean than it is worth.
>>
>>7402896
to justify charging $30+ for a fucking piece of glass
>>
>>7404663
Ya, scrap metal is the exception. I was more meant household recycling, and most people don't throw out a huge amount of metal. Probably not enough to justify the damaged caused by sending huge ass trucks around once a week to every home, anyway.

>Paper recyling is a good example. Paper is ideal to recycle if we could keep it clean. The problem is that if it gets contaminated with grease--say if someone tosses a pizza box in to the paper recycling bin--then the whole batch will take more effort to clean than it is worth.

It's actually kind of a terrible example, even with that in mind. The forestry industry in most developed countries (US included) is highly regulated and quite sustainable. Tree farms, while not as ideal as true old growth forest, provide homes for a huge number and range of organisms, and are far better for the planet than anything else that land is realistically going to be used for
>>
>>7401707
Is this the same thing as a moka pot?
>>
>>7401691
I have the la pavoni model in the pic. Fresh grinds make amazing coffee with rich flavour with hints of nuts and caramel. If you leave grounds even in a airtight container those flavours will all disappear. I find it usually takes around 3 days to completely disappear to the point where you may as well buy pre-ground coffee.

My main coffee is this brand: http://www.italcaffe.it/

Tastes like bridgehead except much richer and less acidic if you get the pure arabica blend.
>>
File: IMG_1002.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1002.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1280
>>7405129
my coffee & gear
>>
My coffee guy has Jamaican blue mountain beans in. $15 for 100g and 300g minimum.

Is it a meme? I'm tempted.
>>
>>7405151
In case anyone's wondering why the grinder isn't set to the finest grind its cause I just finished grinding for aeropress to use at work. There's leftover grinds in the bin because they were stuck there by static electricity.
>>
>>7401340
EK43, V60/Aeropress/Chemex/Bonmac/Kinto depending on coffee/how I feel, RO water with 1g epsom salt and 0.02g baking soda per litre at 96c (boiling point where I live). Breville 920xl for spro, typically doing large volume shots (18 in, 45-60 out) 10sec preinfusion at about 3 bar, 20 sec at about 7.5 bar.
>>
>>7405151
Why in the world are you using such shitty coffee with such decent equipment? What a waste.
>>
>>7404333

>implying America doesn't throw everything into the dumpster

In many parts of the country our recycle bin contents go into the landfill too.
>>
>>7405160
No meme, i drink it and its a lovely drop.
>>
>>7405160
It is absolutely a meme. The quality may be decent to good, but you are paying way too much for it. You can get better coffee quite easily for much less money by going to a good third wave roaster. There is a reason that no third-wave roasters are doing blue mountain or kona coffee.
>>
>>7405195
I paid money for better equipment so I could get away with using cheaper coffee. Saves money in the long term.
>>
>>7405581
That isn't how it works. You can't make bad coffee taste good by having good equipment. Like, that coffee is mostly bad flavor. Your equipment will help you to more evenly extract that flavor. That flavor will still be mostly bad. The biggest thing you can do to imrpove your coffee is to use good coffee. It's really not that expensive. Like, if you had the choice between Baby Duck and top-tier champagne, and the only difference was about 5 dollars a week, why would you ever drink baby duck?
>>
>>7402228
If you're really feeling it, you can order green coffee and roast it yourself. Some people swear by the popcorn machine thing, but an ordinary oven works fine.
>>
>>7405581
you would save even more money if you roasted your own beans. home roasters dont even seem that expensive
>>
>>7405592
pretentious.com

It tastes as good with this equipment as more expensive coffee did in crap equipment. I tried both before I purchased. Once I've used enough of the cheaper beans to have effectively paid off the equipment, it will be time to consider getting more expensive beans more frequently.
>>
File: 3.jpg (53 KB, 553x694) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
53 KB, 553x694
>>7405592
Incorrect, if I buy a $5,000 grinder it will turn my starbucks into the finest rarest JBM made of panama gesha eaten by rare wild civets and harvested by the rarest pepes

if you disagree with me ur a poorfag
>>
I alternate between Aeropress, french press and Clever Dripper. I want a Chemex or v60 next.

But buying a Hario Mini Mill was the greatest coffee purchase ever.
>>
>>7405623
Not really pretentious. I most likely have more experience with more coffee and gear than you do. What I said has been true in my experience, and many others. I may have overspoken when I said "bad" that's subjective, so maybe you just like flavors in coffee that I don't. That is entirely fine, and if you like what you are making, that's awesome. My opinion is that you're better off with a blade grinder and some good coffee than you are with an ek43 and some bad coffee. But we have different taste, so you may sincerely feel the opposite. Like what you like man, sorry for my previous post's preachy tone.
>>
>>7405735
Obvious differentfag. If you want to troll, try elsewhere. There are plenty of 4chan boards suitable for trolling. We're making a sincere effort to get quality posts here again.
>>
>>7405151
it took me twelve minutes to realise that the saucer under your coffee cup wasn't broken.

clean your steam wand, you disgusting cunt. i'll bet you don't even purge.
>>
File: decorationthatsit&thatsall.png (416 KB, 952x592) Image search: [Google]
decorationthatsit&thatsall.png
416 KB, 952x592
>>7402999
why isnt there a best automatic machine its automatic and shit or great but not automatic or can grind but shit at everything else?
>>
>>7405756
Nope, same guy. It's not such a bad thing to admit you were wrong. That post was sincere.
>>
>>7405890
That's a very niche market. It would be fairly costly, and still just as convenient. Most of those auto machines appeal to the market that prioritizes convenience first. For the enthusiast market that still wants an auto, there is a good chance they have already invested in or want the freedom to have a good grinder of their choice. So what you're left with is people who don't have a good grinder, want convenience, but value quality highly enough that they will drop a few hundred bucks on an auto machine that does it really well.
>>
>>7405977
good points, and your right those 3 things are all for different people looking for different things out of there coffee but i had assumed perhaps ingnorantly that the market is not only people who :need: a high quality all in one but also all the rich suburbanites who by things from white&black market and places like that
but perhaps that is too high of a risk to take for anyone business
>>
>>7405967
i'm not that guy and i was going to agree with your posts until i read the part about a flat blade grinder. now i want to hurt you.
>>
>>7406003
Why is that? I have made pretty decent coffee with a blade grinder.

Let's think about why blade grinders aren't desirable.

They produce a very wide distribution of particles, which leads to a lot of over and under extraction (as well as some in the sweet spot). Why don't we want this? It's because those contribute unpleasant flavors in larger amounts than we want. What percent of a blade grinder's grounds are contributing primarily to bad flavors? Hard to tell, but probably about 50% of it is doing something good - I've had brews from a blade grinder that taste good around 16% extraction. Pretty well all of the bits will extract to 15% (even the inside of the bigger chunks) which means a lot will get high enough to contribute some sweetness to balance, and probably around 30% or so will be so fine that they will extract fully, contributing a lot of bitterness. Not ideal, but still enough to get something that tastes ok. I'll take some bitterness and some under extraction along side some sweetness and nice flavors over pure roast and carbon flavors.

Now why don't we like bad coffee? Well, it contains a lot of compounds which don't taste good. Primarily compounds which don't taste good. So even if we evenly extract this coffee, we are going to get primarily bad tasting compounds. So we have a coffee which has more than 50% stuff that tastes bad.

Looks like the blade grinder is coming out ahead here.

For reference, I own an EK43, have a lot of experience with coffee, and have tasted bad coffee from my ek and good coffee from my sister's blade grinder. The later is worlds better. Night and day.
>>
>>7405986
Also, the people you are talking about are probably getting most of their coffee from shops. The proportion of them that are also home coffee enthusiasts is most likely small (as it is small in the general population).

With all that said, there are some all in one automatic brewers coming out that are aimed at the market I am saying is small. Fuck if I can remember the names right now though.
>>
>>7406101
>% extraction
not being a dick but how do you know? are you using a coffe-ometer or whatever its called
and you seem to know whats up so
blade or mill type grinder? for best extraction
>>7406104
>more niche then you think but options "coming soon"
after hearing all that makes sense i saw some on kickstarter but am wary throwing 150+ at something so complicated
maybe one day though

i had some old machines from a restaurant supply auction but it was ridiculously too big
>>
>>7406209
Using a refractometer, yes.

Burr grinders are better. Although, low end ones like the skerton/porlex are about the same. They are not worth buying.

If you want a grinder, save up for an encore or lido 2 at minimum.

>but am wary throwing 150+ at something so complicated

More like 700

Best choice is to grab a lido 2 and a mokka master
>>
>>7406249
>More like 700
hot damn
right on that you got scientific about it with the refractormeter, Ill check out your recommendations, thanks
>>
>>7405592
this.

you're already a step ahead of others by having a good grinder, don't waste it and get good coffee. it isn't that expensive.
>>
>>7406101
You forget the part about inconsistent grind size causing channelling, which means that none of it is extracted uniformly, and also the fact that flat blades burn the grind. Or didn't you know that?

I'd like to see a pic of your refractometer please.
>>
File: enjoy you're coffee.png (181 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
enjoy you're coffee.png
181 KB, 400x324
Why is it that some days I can drink three cups of coffee in a row and not notice anything, and other days I drink a single cup and 2 hours later I'm all twitchy and caffeine high and incredibly uncomfortable.
How the fuck does caffeine work.
>>
>>7401340
I got that Ninja coffee bar it makes a pretty good cup of coffee, IE not bitter. Easy iced coffee and delicious coffee milkshakes. Also comes with a grinder but DESU it's not that great really easy to overshoot your grind and it grinds really uneven.
>>
>>7406431
>enjoy you are coffee
>>
>>7405097
Well, if I'm not mistaken, it's a glass moka pot.

>EDIT : I'm mistaken.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker
>The iconic Moka pot coffee maker functions on the same principle but the water is forced up from the bottom chamber through a third middle chamber containing the coffee grounds to the top chamber which has an air gap to prevent the brewed coffee from returning downwards. The prepared coffee is then poured off from the top.
>>
>>7406411
Neither of those are true, sorry. Blade grinders don't heat the coffee past or near roasting temperatures. All grinders heat the coffee. Particle size distribution won't lead to channeling, but poor distribution will.
>>
>>7406431
probably just based on if you have an empty stomach or not
>>
>>7405756
>everyone is stupid except me
>anyone who has ever had a different point of view than me is the same person and is trolling
You're the shitposting cancer that encourages everyone to only shitpost. Congrats.
>>
>>7407241
Oops meant that for the guy you replied to
>>
I like my moka pot. I mean, I'll drink any coffee, but I dig it, it's great for camping if you don't like just throwing beans into a pot
>>
My wife just discovered she loves long blacks - she says Ethiopian single origin varieties are the best.
>>
Is bulletproof a meme?
>>
>>7408058
uh..

>>7408063
yes
>>
I use a Moka Pot, any suggestions on proper brewing methods though?
I currently turn my electric stove unit to around 75% power and just wait for it to bubble over, though I noticed it will pour over the sides of the funnel before boiling over.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 499x499
Is having coffee in the afternoon a good idea?
>>
>>7408218
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>7408218
Only if you are sensitive to caffeine and will have your circadian rhythm disturbed.
>>
Just had a cup of Moccona with some heavy whipping cream.
Have it most mornings.
>>
french press + mini mill. might need to invest in a bigger press (i have the 12 oz) and a bigger (electric) grinder.
>>
>>7403440
St. Frank is so fucking dank.

Tho being in SoCal I'm spoiled with Arcade, Lift, Portola, Intelligentsia, etc
>>
Hario ceramic hand grinder
1L french press

on the hunt now for a better whole bean
>>
>How do you make your coffee?

I don't. I buy well-prepared coffee.

>Australia
>>
File: image.jpg (848 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
848 KB, 3264x2448
>>7408409
Order from Lift Coffee Roasters, Portola Coffee Labs, or Arcade Coffee Roasters

Really amazing S.O. Coffees.

Pictured is a Papua New Guinea Arokara that is really smooth, sweet, light bodied, and has a very prominent strawberry taste to it.
>>
>>7408424

I think I am going to try a local hometown roaster and see how that goes. Apparently it's two guys running a business that has been passed down from family since my city was incorporated from a county during world war 1.

They have single origins at "market price" and blends etc that are 11$ a lb it seems. Might as well stop in and sample and see if they're any good since I have had Intelligentsia and Brooklyn Roasters.
>>
>>7408435
Nice brah
>>
>>7403440
>>7408392
Sorry, i just think you guys are getting ripped off for overpriced hipster trash. Care to list any roasters that aren't pretentious and have fresh coffee for a reasonable price?
>>
Redpill me on coffee, /ck/.
What do I buy and from where to not be a huge casual? I usually get a black cup at Dunkin Donuts.
>>
>>7408586

Kona coffee isn't Kona

Single Origins are the best, since they aren't cut with lower quality beans. But they are also massive hipster endeavors which leads to demanding a higher price. There's very little mass produced single origin coffees out there.
>>
I use whole beans that have been roasted locally. Medium roast only. Never dark. Sometimes light if the Master Roaster recommends it, he knows my pallet well.
I use a hand powered burr grinder, and only grind the beans as the water is heating.
I use filtered water that still has trace minerals, poured cold into a programmable kettle set to 90 Celsius.
I use the inverted aeropress technique, with a stainless steel filter.
Pour beans. Pour some water for the 30sec bloom. Let brew for total of 1m30s. Press into a pre-warmed hand painted locally glazed and fired ceramic mug. Enjoy.
>>
>>7408519
Sorry, what's wrong with those coffee roasters other than that they are "hipster"? Why are you so insecure?
>>
>>7408709
Coffee doesn't get much more fedora than this.
>>
>>7405151
I like the half-empty bag of GK Cretor's popcorn.
>>
>>7406431
>2 hours later I'm all twitchy and caffeine high and incredibly uncomfortable.
Does not compute. Caffeine takes effect immediately, like taking a regular pain killer like asprin, and it's about an hour or two later when it wears off (depending on how active you are) and that might explain the 'jitters' but you said you feel 'high' so... are you driking energy drinks or something?
As I said; does not compute. Perhaps adrenaline is causing the jitters due to withdrawal.
>>
File: cat.jpg (56 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
56 KB, 640x640
>>7408709
post pics of mug please.
>>
>>7409249
>Perhaps adrenaline is causing the jitters due to withdrawal.
I completely fucked that up. I mean; perhaps adrenaline is causing the high due to withdrawal which may be causing the jitters.

Fuck it, just see a doctor or a high class prostitute.
>>
Get on my level, lads. Bialetti moka pot, with fresh-ground espresso beans. Ground in my manual grinder. I brew it strong and serve it up hot.
>>
File: gent.jpg (46 KB, 960x541) Image search: [Google]
gent.jpg
46 KB, 960x541
>>7409308
Forgot pic.
>>
>>7409249
You generally reach peak by about 45 minutes on caffeine, not immediately. And it has a halflife of roughly 5 hours.

I'm not sure why you would bother to post when you know 0 about what you posted about.
>>
>>7409308
What exactly are "espresso beans"?

Rhetorical question. You're dumb for thinking there are "espresso beans".
>>
File: bunn commercial.jpg (48 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bunn commercial.jpg
48 KB, 1000x1000
Fight me
>>
>>7409393
You belong in the trash.
>>
>>7409383
>You generally reach peak by about 45 minutes on caffeine
Explain to me how your body reacts slower with caffeine than it does with codeine or nicotine.
Compared with the two hours that Anon mentioned then even your claimed 45 minutes would be immediate by comparison.
>>
>>7409554
For one thing, nicotine is typically inhaled, not ingested.

Otherwise, it's pretty simple to realize that all drugs affect the body in different ways. They are absorbed at different rates, take effect at different rates, are metabolized at different rates, and are excreted at different rates.
>>
>>7409559
for >>7409558
>>
>>7409559
So you're suggesting that the liquid caffeine is absorbed slower than a solid codeine tablet?

>I'm not sure why you would bother to post when you know 0 about what you posted about.

I'm not interested in your pathetic one-upmanship. But if you're going to offer advice that effects a person's health then you be sure that you know wtf you're talking about. You're reaching a point where you're going to say the exact opposite of whatever I say just get some sort of upper hand. Which is pointless as Anonymous.
Notice you addressed me but didn't address the Anon asking the question? Says a lot about (You).
>>
>>7409558
>Compared with the two hours that Anon mentioned then even your claimed 45 minutes would be immediate by comparison.
What? The guy I was replying to said that by two hours the effects would have worn off.

Here: http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/health_information/a_z_mental_health_and_addiction_information/Caffeine/Pages/default.aspx

"How long does the feeling last?

When taken in beverage form, caffeine begins to take effect within five minutes, and reaches its peak effect in about 30 minutes. It takes about four hours for half of a given dose of caffeine to be metabolized by the body. Normally, almost all ingested caffeine is metabolized, and there is no day-to-day accumulation of the drug in the body."
>>
>>7409574
>I'm not sure why you would bother to post when you know 0 about what you posted about.

I wrote that, not the guy you are replying to.

See
>>7409629

For why you are wrong.
>>
>>7409574
>But if you're going to offer advice that effects a person's health then you be sure that you know wtf you're talking about.

Interesting that you say that, but didn't bother to do a simple google search before you started giving advice.

>http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-metabolism
"It only takes 45 minutes for 99% of the caffeine to be absorbed through these membranes.

In humans the half-life for caffeine is anywhere from 4 to 6 hours on average, which explains why the average energy drink or coffee’s effect lasts about 4 to 6 hours."

>https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/caffeine/caffeine_effects.shtml

"
Caffeine is rapidly absorbed through the stomach and small intestine into the bloodstream, where it takes about 15-45 minutes to reach peak levels. The level of caffeine in the blood reaching the brain determines the potency of its effects on the body. Usually the central nervous system is maximally stimulated within 30-60 minutes"
"Caffeine will continue to have an effect on the body as long as it remains in the blood. The time required for the body to eliminate one-half of the total amount of caffeine consumed (or caffeine's half-life) varies from several hours to several days, but for the average non-smoking adult it is about 3-4 hours"

>http://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-10-71

" Caffeine is both water and fat soluble and is quickly distributed in the body after absorption mainly by the small intestine and the stomach with peaking plasma levels after 15–120 min and a half-life of about 5–6 hours with individual variation"

Need I go on?
>>
>>7404280
Doesn't have to be hand ground, just freshly ground. Also, fresh roasted. Doesn't have to be pour over though, drip makers work.
>>
>>7405890
Moccamaster
>>
>>7409695
Also doesn't need to be that freshly ground. An hour for drip and about 20 minutes for spro are just fine.
>>
>>7409698
Grinding should always be the step immediately before putting the ground coffee wherever you're putting it, and no delay in the brew from there. The time a coffee maker takes to start is more time than I want my grounds not experiencing extraction
>>
>>7409703
Yeah but you won't notice a quality drop. Some of the highest end shops are pre-grinding with an EK43 for their espresso. They have found that there is no quality drop that they are perceiving. These people have tasted much more coffee than you and I.

>http://sprudge.com/the-2013-usbc-finals-in-words-pictures-36464.html
"Charles pre-dosed and pre-ground his espresso during his 15 minutes of prep time, storing the grounds in little silver canisters on stage; this is similar to the style of espresso prep that folks can expect at the new incarnation of G&B Coffee."
>>
>>7409713
Eh, I suppose results over science, if they can't taste a difference then it's not the end of the world, and I have enough variables up in the air that I'm not gonna look at 'time before roast' when the science encourages so heavily to minimize
>>
>>7405592
Good coffee is cheaper than bad coffee, too. Homeroasting beans, especially when I enjoy any origin to the point I'll pick up samplers, costs ~$5/lb, depending on shipping and the site. Next cheapest I could get whole bean that I know off the top of my head is Dunkin Donuts whole bean for almost $7/lb, and the difference in fresh roasted coffee more than makes up for the work that $2 difference doesn't cover.
>>
>Complete newfag to high end coffee
>Used to drinking the common walmart grade stuff for years
>Just subscribed to angels cup

Is angels any good? Online reviews seem to say so.
>>
File: 20160224_024015.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160224_024015.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>7409258
My gf painted it. Space themed because I like space. I want another one that's smaller because it's a bit big for the amount the aeropress brews.
>>
>>7408424
I prefer blends nowadays 2bh. Am I the only one?
>>
File: 61UX8ue-B3L._SL1000_.jpg (65 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61UX8ue-B3L._SL1000_.jpg
65 KB, 1000x1000
Thoughts? I find this stuff quite good.
>>
>>7410442

Meh coffee. I mean, it's better than Folger's but it isn't anything special

Fancy packaging designed to attract hipsters
>>
>>7410442
Over-roasted Robusta? Pass.
>>
>>7409932
Looks like shit tbf senpai
>>
>>7410919
I like it. Then again I'm not a salty fanboi.
>>
>>7409932
Looks like actual garbage
>>
>>7411144
Salty virgin detected.
>>
>>7411768
Sure, but tell me I'm wrong.
>>
>>7411773
You're wrong.
>>
>>7411779
Now tell me why.
>>
>>7411787
Because art is an subjective experience where only the beholder can distinguish Patrician from Plebeian.
>>
File: garbage-beach-2.jpg (1 MB, 1400x779) Image search: [Google]
garbage-beach-2.jpg
1 MB, 1400x779
>>7411793
Didn't say it was bad. Said it looks like actual garbage.
>>
>>7401410
Dude, go to subculture on clematis. Thank me later
>>
File: garbage pile dildo.jpg (428 KB, 1400x779) Image search: [Google]
garbage pile dildo.jpg
428 KB, 1400x779
>>7411803
This picture is somehow poetic and beau-wait, is that a dildo?
>>
>>7413419

>his garbage dump doesn't even have a dorsal fin
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Here's my coffee cupboard. I have a baratza encore on the counter and a porlex mini for travel and early a.m. aeropress brews so I don't wake my wife.
>>
>>7413604

>i bet he uses an iphone too

Oh wait...
>>
Why can't I get very much liquid out of a La Pavoni Europiccola? The little I do get tastes okay, but the brew doesn't pour down like I've seen other people get it to do. I lift up the handle, wait, and there's a lot of resistance when I bring down but only a tiny drip comes out
>>
Cold brew in a slow drip. It makes the best coffee I've had at home. Rich but not too bitter. Its strong as hell too so I add some water. Hot water, cold, room temp, doesn't seem to matter its still good.
>>
>>7413638
Tank pressure isn't high enough?
How old is your unit?
>>
>>7408709

Holy shit you're a giant fag
I mean, kudos to you for liking your coffee but fuck me this isn't some faggy barista dickwaving contest lol
>>
How much sugar should I use in a Cafe Cubano? I know its supposed to be sweet, but what people suggest really seems like a lot.
>>
>>7414422

As much as you like. Who cares what other people/recipes say? Use what tastes good to you.
>>
Does anyone live in NYC? Where do you like to go for coffee?
>>
>>7414428
B-but anon, if I don't blindly follow what random strangers on the internet tell me is "authentic," how will I know what I'm supposed to like?
>>
>>7414467
no, you're right anon, if someone wants to try something new, they should disregard what anyone else says, do what they want, and call it that.

My drip coffee maker makes real good espresso.
>>
>>7415075
>There's literally zero middle ground between rigid adherence to arbitrary and often incorrect notions of "tradition" and words losing all meaning
Hey /ck/, want to know how to spot an idiot?
>>
>>7415098
>Someone wants to try a new type of drink
>the idea that them using the traditional product as a starting point makes them an idiot
Are you autistic or just retarded?
>>
>>7415173
Are you autistic? One of the classic marks of an autist in the 4chan sense is that they're unable to see a third option between their retarded viewpoint and an equally retarded polar opposite. He already knew how to brew it and even knew it was supposed to be noticeably sweet. Prescribing anything more specific than would be demanding a level of rigidity in the definition of "Cuban coffee" that I guarantee doesn't exist in Cuba.
>>
>>7401350
if you're looking for a durable pourover a Kinto is a great option as well.

>been working at a literal world class cafe for 2 months now
>getting paid to learn about coffee from world class baristas
>get to hang out and talk about coffee/free coffee
>would probably do most of this job for free and I get paid for it plus tips

feels good man.
>>
>>7415235
Knowing how to brew it and knowing it needs to be sweet is vague. He also obviously never actually made it, so their is no way to know if the traditional way would be too sweet or not, so then how would he know if he needs more or less? A person has to start somewhere, so asking for input on a Bangladeshi finger painting forum for input on the subject is fine. Starting at the traditional point is not the same as rigid adherence. Anyone with common sense would understand that.
>>
>>7405623
dude you can get a 2 pound bag of really good coffee from a local roaster for like $40, that's like a dollar for a cup of good espresso.
>>
>>7415331
Sure, let's pretend that's even remotely close to what you were saying at the start of this pointless argument

>He also obviously never actually made it, so their is no way to know if the traditional way would be too sweet or not, so then how would he know if he needs more or less?
By putting a little bit in an tasting it, then adding more until it tastes good?
>>
>>7410442
organic coffee is a meme and a sham
>>
>>7415365
>Sure, let's pretend that's even remotely close to what you were saying at the start of this pointless argument

You're the one who assumed that someone asking a simple question about a drink meant he thinks it has to be made that way.

>By putting a little bit in an tasting it, then adding more until it tastes good?
make it the traditional way, if it is too sweet, then next time put less in, if it isn't sweet enough, put more.
>>
>>7415324
That's awesome. And yeah, Kinto's stuff is pretty good. Got the 300ml version a while back, and it works pretty well. Too much sediment to be something I use often, but really suited to some coffees.

What spot do you work at (or what city, if you aren't comfortable with that)?
>>
>>7402283
I hope you're still in this thread and realize you're a fucking moron.
>>>why do people do dumb things?
>>because they don't know any better
>if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be doing dumb things
>>
Is eight o clock considered good coffee?
Because I've been enjoying it much more than whole bean coffee as of late.
>>
>>7416128
No, I don't think it is. But drink whatever you like man.
>>
I'm currently using a French press. Is using a v60 a worthwhile upgrade?
>>
File: 1433781941500.jpg (12 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1433781941500.jpg
12 KB, 250x242
>>7408709

>tfw I unironically do most of this

I hate wasting money so if I'm gonna do something, I'll do it the absolutely best way possible.

>mfw people half ass shit they're gonna put into their body
>>
File: Moka.jpg (10 KB, 330x300) Image search: [Google]
Moka.jpg
10 KB, 330x300
>>7401340
>put 2/4 cups of water in microwave on beverage at 6-7 oz setting.
>put water in
>then I use Death Wish coffee brand
>screw on lit
>put on stove on high and wait
>add 1 tbs of sugar
>drink
>>
>>7416530
>2/4
You mean 1/2?
>>
File: Cafe bich nga.jpg (58 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Cafe bich nga.jpg
58 KB, 640x960
>>7416481
>I hate wasting money
>buys a bunch of extraneous crap
>thinks refusing spending a huge amount of extra time and effort for a handful of marginal-at-best improvements is half assing it
>>7416283
They're two different things. You might appreciate being able to choose between them, you might not. V60s are dirt cheap, so it's not a huge loss if you don't like it any more than your French press
>>7416128
Bad coffee has it's own weird sort of appeal. Just because I usually buy nice aged cheddars doesn't mean I don't want Kraft singles now and again.
>>
>>7415580
Calgary, Alberta
>>
my bf works at Starbucks, and the free drinks have caused him to become a coffee addict, mainly Espresso. Can someone recommend me a good grinder, beans, or an espresso machine I could get him? Mid to high tier please.
>>
File: 20 KB.jpg (20 KB, 441x420) Image search: [Google]
20 KB.jpg
20 KB, 441x420
Making a pot of coffee in my percolator

42 ounces of water
14 tablespoons of coffee per directions from the internet

Seems like an awful large amount of coffee...;_;

what am I in for?
>>
>>7417022
That's too funny, I know the spot you work at (starts with an M, I bet) and it is such a great place! They have a very good approach to coffee - focus on people/service/hospitality because they know they have the coffee down. Puts it above places like P&S for me most of the time (sometimes I just want P&S coffee, or a tasting flight, good people there too, just a bit more of a "high end" exclusive feel).

You're a lucky person!
>>
>>7416631
You mean 2 1/4?
>>
>>7409393
where does one get one of these?
>>
>>7409393
Restaurant supply stores
>>
>>7417355
You're going to die anon,
sorry to break it to you like that.
You might even get cancer.
>>
>>7416530
>>add 1 tbs of sugar
Kill yourself, anon.
>>
>>7418153
Meant to reply to >>7418146
>>
>>7408058
what does your wife's son prefer?
>>
Is there anything wrong with buying a cheap Avant moka pot to see weather i like it or not?
>>
>>7416530

>sugar

Try not use sugar and watch the water temperature.
>>
>>7418864
Yes, the wrong thing is that you said "weather" and not "whether"
>>
>>7418921
Non English speaker, so blow it our your ear
>>
>>7416481
What he described isn't even advanced, but basic crap. Nothing wrong with it and normal even for anyone with a hobby.
>>
>>7417769
haha yea you know the place. Yea I love their approach, I really hate the idea of high quality coffee being pretentious or exclusive, so I love how welcoming and friendly they are. P&S definitely has great coffee and I would have liked to work there too for the coffee, but I don't really like the whole corporate feel of the place, though that happens when you get to the size they are at, and I think they've done a great job of keeping their quality very high while expanding and doing great on the business side.
>>
>>7410442
Hadn't heard of this stuff before I saw people here talking about it. Decided to check out their website.
>World's strongest coffee
>Warning: Highly addictive
Because pretending your product is real drugs to be edgy is always a mark of quality. Credit where it's due, the packaging is very well done even if it's trying way too hard. This would definitely stand out on a store shelf, even alongside a bunch of other predominantly black bags.
>Zero information about roast level (they appear to only have one?), origin, whether it's even Arabica or Robusta, or anything beyond two tasting notes, some vague shit about boldness, and a dubious claim about "never bitter taste"
The red flags just keep piling up, don't they?
>Awaken your inner rebel with The World’s Strongest Coffee
You know, further down the page there's a picture of someone wearing a RATM shirt and another with a Ramones one. Punk truly is dead.

Yep, clearly shit
>>
>>7420858
It's dark roasted Robusta. Robusta has way more caffeine than any Arabica cultivars. It also generally tastes very bitter, which combined with a dark roast will give you a very bitter cup. Which could be strong I guess.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.