[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crispy Salmon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: file_171195_0_120116-salmon[1].jpg (61 KB, 648x486) Image search: [Google]
file_171195_0_120116-salmon[1].jpg
61 KB, 648x486
I tried cooking fish for the first time in my life and I went with the "crispy skin salmon" recipe which seemed very simple and I like salmon.
But it didn't go as well as I thought

In all the videos I see people easily slice through the skin to open a gash and put salt in it, but I tried it and it wouldn't slice until the third time, at which point it would open a large cut all the way across, not just in the center.
The second thing that went wrong was the crispiness, I let my olive oil get really warm before putting it in the pan (and it sizzled immediately) but it still didn't get very crispy, and it didn't get as much color on the other side either (nowhere near pic related).
I kept it in the pan skin-side for about 5 minutes, and then flipped it on its flesh for about 1 minute. It was moist and soft and didn't dry up at all, it just didn't make a crispy crust on either side.
Also, I really felt the salmon's fattyness at some spots, could that be related to not being crispy enough?

It was still great just not as good as it looked in other people's videos. I'm wondering if I did it wrong.
>>
Shouldn't take 5 minutes, are you sure the pan was hot enough? It should sizzle. Was the fish at room temp?

Try patting it down with a paper towel to remove moisture first, and more salt.
>>
>>7399879
sounds like
1.) your knife isn't very sharp
2.) you had too much oil in the pan, which can make thing soggy instead of crunchy

i would say cook the flesh first and then flip for the skin, as the pan will be lightly greasy at that point. or rub the oil on the skin and then place into a hot, ungreased pan if that's more your fancy
>>
>>7399951
>>7399958
Okay thanks guys

My brother had a long sharp knife but he hasn't used it in a long time that's what I used
Maybe I need to sharpen it, I'll ask him for help

I'll try getting it out of the fridge earlier next time, patting it down with a paper towel, a sharper knife, a hotter pan and less oil
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.