[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made some fried rice tonight. I live in a college dorm and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 19
File: IMG_5462.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5462.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
I made some fried rice tonight. I live in a college dorm and have to use a community kitchen with very limited space and appliances. Bare with me. Anyway, here it goes. I would love some constructive advice. My fried rice comes out delicious every time but I know there is room for improvement.
>>
File: IMG_5463.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5463.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
cut the chicken
>>
Where's the Siracha nigger?
>>
File: IMG_5465.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5465.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
not sure why that picture wasn't rotated properly

Cook the chicken. I cut the the bigger pieces while it's on the stove while it's cooking to achieve a bite sized chicken. I know this probably isnt a best practice but i can't see why it'd be too bad. When done, set aside.
>>
File: IMG_5466.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5466.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
>>7397861
sometimes i use siracha, sometimes i dont. wasnt feeling it tonight.

I cut up some garlic and ginger. I added it to the pan with some oil. I am really not sure if i overcooked the ginger and garlic or when to add it to make the dish the best as possible, but whatever. I added it now.
>>
File: IMG_5471.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5471.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
Cut up your veg and add. I like broccoli, green beans, green onion, and carrots.
>>
File: IMG_5469.jpg (554 KB, 1932x1932) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5469.jpg
554 KB, 1932x1932
how I cut up my carrots. I bite them in half. Eat half and put the other half in the pan.
>>
File: IMG_5473.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5473.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
put veges aside with the chicken. Really dont know why some images are rotated. Makes me feel dumb. The original files arent rotates. This mac is 5 years old and is breaking down on me.
>>
File: IMG_5475.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5475.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
Put the rice on the pan. I used a rice cooker to cook the rice earlier. I am not using day old rice. Fuck that. This is brown rice by the way. After about a minute I push the rice to one half and add eggs.
>>
>>7397885
I'm sorry for your hairline at such a young age
>>
>>7397861

>>7397895
>>
File: IMG_5485.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5485.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
These rotated pics are giving me cancer. Sorry. Seriously.

Scramble the eggs in the pan.
>>
>>7397898
Hopefully OP'S college will make him enough money to give him hair.
>>
>>7397881
>>7397885
you just threw some in whole. I don't like you
>>
>>7397898
Worry about your own hairline pal, obviously you have some concern about it
>>
File: IMG_5490.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5490.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>7397898
started losing my hair a few months before turning 19. It really sucks. About every third of a year I can see myself getting less and less attractive. I have already accepted it for what it is and I dont mind as much as I used to. Maybe I will mind more once I start balding. I eat well and exercise. I look healthy and I don't think it's going to ultimately affect many things.

I chopped up the egg and mixed it with the rice. I am about to add my tasty ingredients. I think the most importance are the sesame oil and the rice vinegar. I am not sure whether to add this to just the rice, or the rice with all the other ingredients. Sometimes i mix it up. For tonight, I am adding the ingredients to the rice.
>>
File: IMG_5490.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5490.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
FUCK ME.
>>
File: IMG_5491.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5491.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
After adding the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, sesame seeds, pepper, cayenne. I dont use salt because of the soy sauce.

As you saw earlier I also didnt season my chicken. I dont think it really needs it because I am adding all of these ingredients to the rice. The chicken would probably be better with some seasoning, but meh, whatever.

My question is, was it too soon to add the soy/sesame/vinegar??
>>
stop using a nonstick pan, use something that can withstand very high heat, like a carbon steel wok or cast iron skillet.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-fried-rice-chinese-thai-wok-technique-right-type-of-rice.html
>>
File: IMG_5493.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5493.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
Add in the chicken and the veg. Mix it up so that the rice flavors the other ingredients.

Should I have added the soy/sesame/vin/etc after mixing up the rice, chicken and veg? idk.
>>
>>7397918
>started losing my hair a few months before turning 19. It really sucks

It's really fine. just shave your head and learn to be confident in your looks. It matters not a bit; if balding was really that unattractive, women would have stopped having babies with bald guys a long time ago and evolution would have ensured no balding men were left.

Anyway, food looks good, that's for 'butin
>>
>>7397918
femanon here. much like i would never date any guy under 6', or shorter than me, i would never date a guy with a hairline higher than me, or higher than joe jonas's current hairline.
>>
File: IMG_5495.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5495.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>7397935
I read all the time about the importance of super high heat with fried rice. Can you explain why that extra heat will really make a difference than my shitty electric stove's "hot" heat? Perhaps if i had my own kitchen I would have a bigger arsenal of pans but for now I only own one and it is super convenient to have a non stick pan for everything else that I cook.

Plate it. I add extra sesame seeds on top. I can't wait to graduate and move into my own kitchen.

>plate it
>not using a plate
>>
>>7397949
>this is how americans think evolution works
I shave every day, and so did my dad, why aren't my children clean shaven?!
>>
>>7397949
I think I'll shave my head once I start balding. I still have plenty of hair on my head and I think it looks better than having a shaved head. I am not really sure about it honestly. It's not an easy choice, especially because like <1% of guys my age have shaved heads.
>>
>>7397963
holy shit you are retarded. probably 17 years too since your go to reaction is to call him an american for no reason
>>
>>7397968
>him
>>
>>7397963
Are you being serious? If no women liked bald men then the genes for going bald would be less common due to being passed on less frequently. It has nothing to do with deciding to shave, retard.

If it was impossible to shave and being hairless or clean shaven was consistently selected for long periods, the same thing would happen.
>>
File: file.png (62 KB, 1074x360) Image search: [Google]
file.png
62 KB, 1074x360
>>7397977
fuck off underage faggot
>>
File: joe-jonas-600x450.jpg (134 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
joe-jonas-600x450.jpg
134 KB, 600x450
>>7397953
Thanks for your precious input. Joe Jonas's hairline looks totally normal. I had to google it. If had that hair I would certainly not fuck it up by adding colors like he recently did.

I am 5'7 and still do fine with the ladies. Not that hard when you exercise, eat well, have interests, and can carry a conversation. It also doesn't hurt that I can cook for girls, which is a panty dropper at this age.
>>
>>7397851
>Bare with me
>>
>>7397959
The chemicals in nonstick cookware cannot tolerate high heat, which is necessary to really develop deeper caramelization flavors. Plus, nonstick coatings degrade over time, while cast iron and carbon steel cookware can last for centuries with proper maintenance and are very cheap.
>>
>>7398002
Ha. nice catch. I haven't used that phrase in such a long time. If yall want to get naked while scrolling though the thread, feel free.
>>
>>7397981
don't forget to like & subscribe my posts, you clearly enjoy them
>>
>>7397943
Nice dish.
But...
>>7397851
All your ingredients are wrapped or packed in plastic film
>>
>>7397943
Might just be the pic, but its a good idea to chop your veggies to be the same length and size. Means they'll cook more evenly in the pan together.
>>
One thing I did to take my fried rice game up another level is to make less than one serving at a time. Heat as high as it can go. I make enough so as to leave room for dessert. It's not leisurely cooking. But only takes 15 minutes including prep if you do it right. The day old rice thing does make a difference but not enough for it to be a real concern. If you have it use it. Else use fresh rice that has cooled down and lost its moisture.
>>
>>7398125
my veggies are not the same size. I am lazy and don't think it matters that much. If i were cooking for other people I would practice more precision, and I certainly wouldn't cut my carrots by biting them.
>>
>>7397885
ur cute and have nice teeth btw
>>
you need to cut your chicken in smaller pieces, same for the vegetables.

also the egg should be cooked much later, in the same way you did.
>>
File: 1451982602662.jpg (53 KB, 863x925) Image search: [Google]
1451982602662.jpg
53 KB, 863x925
>>7397959
Keep in mind when fried rice is made in a Chinese kitchen they are using a wok that is being heated over a gas burner that looks like a jet engine. Slightly burning some of the parts of it is actually part of the flavor.

You nor I have that kind of setup nor are we trying to make actual Chinese fried rice but a good thing to keep in mind because it requires a lot of heat (gas burner) and a lot of motion (use of the wok). Your burners appear to be electric which puts you in the same situation I am in where I pretty much can't do stir fry or good fried rice because I can't get enough heat. Like in >>7397896 its not really a proper way to add egg to a stir fry/fried rice and there really isn't enough heat to cook it correctly. Ideally you pre-scramble the eggs, make a well in the middle of the pan and pour them in there. Put something over the wok (or pan); it doesn't need to be a tight fit but you need a little steam. After 30sec to 1 min with the cover, break up the eggs with chopsticks or a fork and start tossing it with everything. I do my eggs last not to overcook them but it doesn't matter that much.

It honestly doesn't look bad and probably tasted great. You should try roasting some nuts or spices in the pan yourself if you really want to try something different. I like your effort here and your attitude in >>7397918 , good luck
>>
File: IMG_5497.jpg (284 KB, 1932x2576) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5497.jpg
284 KB, 1932x2576
>>7398215
Thanks. This isn't cooking related but my teeth are actually my biggest insecurity (my height and hair dont bother me. I still have some good hair). I had some bonding work that eroded and now one of my incisors is bigger than the other. Also, I chipped my front tooth and even after bonding work, the front of my smile was never the same.
>>
>stinking up the entire floor by using the communal kitchen
>>
>>7397885
>>7398451
>looking completely normal, neither good looking enough to be accused of camwhoring nor ugly enough to be lashed out at and berated for no particular reason except hate
stop posting, I prefer extremes
>>
>>7398451
I won best smile in high school you cant compete fagget
>>
>>7398468
two people actually said it smelled really good after the garlic and ginger started cooking. Happens every time. The kitchen itself smells like hell though. It's like some animals died and were buried in there. It's a mystery.

>>7398474
this is /ck/. Go back to /b/
>>
>>7398451
Your teeth look fine, anon. But I too know the feel of chipped teeth. I'm too poor to repair them and I will have to get a tooth removed (a molar, tho)

/blog
>>
>>7398489
>Go back to /b/
Oh you're one of those people who always says that whenever someone says something that they don't like. Well at least now I have a reason to hate you, thanks.
>>
>>7398245
you could cook eggs first, until they're 70% done, and take them out.
and then put them back in the fried rice for the final mix when everything else is cooked.

source: i'm chinese
>>
>>7398507
>hate
haha. I've only hated two people in my entire life. You should pursue some activities to reduce the hatred in your life.
>>
>>7398530
if you don't hate a lot of people or things you should get off 4chan while you can
>>
>>7398245
>>7398527
Do you have any input on when to add the sauces? Before or after mixing in the veges/protein? Do yall season/marinade your protein for fried rice?
>>
>>7398538
marinate it in soy sauce ginger n teriyaki
>>
>>7398538
>when to add the sauces
Usually I cook all the ingredients first and add rice last. When I add rice I also add all the seasoning. But desu I think adding seasoning at any other time would probably be okay.

>do you season/marinade protein
I don't eat meat anymore but when I used to I would always marinade any meat before any stir fry.
>>
>>7398559
oh and for marinade I usually just use soy sauce and pepper but depends on how sweet your soy sauce is you could always add sugar

also for fried rice I would never add chopped ginger but you can use it if you like it ofc
>>
>>7398538
Sauces either via marinade or added at the very end. Always try a marinade if you think something you're making is so-so and you aren't already marinading. Honestly, just marinating the chicken in store bought italian dressing and washing it off before cutting it up and adding to the stir fry will suffice.

>>7398527
That sounds so much simpler. Crafty Chinese
>>
File: file[1].jpg (47 KB, 620x425) Image search: [Google]
file[1].jpg
47 KB, 620x425
>>7397953
>>
>>7398538
I mix the sauce in a little mixing bowl, then once all my other ingredients are cooked I toss towards the edge of the pan to make a little circle in the middle and that's where I add the sauce. Let it bubble for 30s and mix.
I don't season the protein.
>>
>>7397885
your a cheeky little cunt I'll give you that.
>>
>>7398654
lol
>>
>>7397959
that looks so fucking good
>>
>>7398451
see >>7398011
>If yall want to get naked
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.