[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Ben & Jerry's ice cream so popular? Is it because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: 1449689058189.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1449689058189.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
Why is Ben & Jerry's ice cream so popular?

Is it because of marketing or do they actually have really good ice cream? If it's the latter, what makes their ice cream so good compared to other brands?
>>
>>7396615
Good marketing
Paper tub, no plastic taste
Distinct cream taste
Distinct additional ingredients to basic ice cream

But mostly the paper + marketing
>>
>>7396615
marketing, over the top names and different flavours. Many ice cream makers just have the basics, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry.. you know. B&J packs all kinds of stuff in theirs. Something not many brands do, at least not to my knowledge.
>>
everything has caramel swirls.

'cause caramel is cheap, but cream is expensive. more caramel = more money saved.
>>
It's a combination of both
Good marketing and good taste
>>
Their ice cream has a much higher cream content than normal ice cream. It's the same with haagen-dazs. That's what makes them "luxury ice cream".
>>
>>7396624
matey, it just tastes of sugar

Strawberry cheesecake Hagen Daz for me
>>
>>7396615
You've never tried it? What are you doing with your life? Go to the store, get yourself a pint of chocolate fudge brownie, find out what everybody else has been enjoying, and shut yo ass up.
>>
>>7396691
Why does Häagen-Dazs taste like stale cardboard with a hint of freeze-fried flavor if it's so luxurious?
>>
>tfw no more Mission to Marzipan
>>
>>7396615
>what makes their ice cream so good compared to other brands?
it taste better m8
>>
>>7396615
ben&jerry's is the bose of ice cream. overmarketed, overpriced, mediocre shit.

they're just huge hippies that made actually great icecream, but they sold it to some corporation years ago and the quality has declined steadily in the interim.
>>
>>7396615
Its just like Apple, sell a decent product with for a ridiculously high price thanks to marketing
>>
File: oXRmvsF.jpg (116 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
oXRmvsF.jpg
116 KB, 640x640
I did a bit of research on ice cream brands after reading an article on how every single top brand wouldn't be called ice cream by standards set 50 years ago.

Literally the only ice cream brand I could find with actual cream in it was Haagen Dasz, and even it barely met minimum dairy standards.

Ben & Jerries is one of the worst, but also has one of the best ranges of flavours and textures. It's also usually got more sugar in than other brands.

High volume = low cost = more demand and more sales. Simple economics.
>>
>>7396954
>how every single top brand wouldn't be called ice cream by standards set 50 years ago.

Fuck you
>>
>>7396615

its all those flavors they have, and good at marketing or economics or whatever it is that allows you to buy shelf space in a store.
Ben and jerrys tastes really bad in my opinion, I prefer other local brands. To be honest all the big branded stuff tastes shitty compared to the supermarket finest ranges and small local brands.
>>
Best way to compare ice creams. Put a cup of plain vanilla by volume of each next to each other. Compare weight.
Melt, knock out bubble. Look at new volume.

If you really want to go full autism you can then simmer out the water and compare weight of resulting solids.

Honestly the melted volume will shock you. The cheaper brands are literally whipped air trapped in cream matrices
>>
>>7396955
They literally use skimmed milk powder and vegetable to meet government standards now.

Fuck you too.
>>
>>7396954
What are the standards? I'm curious as to whether or not standard clotted cream ice cream would qualify as 'ice cream' fifty years ago according to cream and milk content.
>>
File: 80klnwcity_figure12_large.jpg (298 KB, 1024x723) Image search: [Google]
80klnwcity_figure12_large.jpg
298 KB, 1024x723
>>7397206
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-393432/The-chilling-truth-ice-cream.html

>The FSA requires ‘dairy ice cream’ to have a minimum of 2.5 per cent of milk protein and an additional minimum 5 per cent of dairy fat. That’s all.
The only good news is that in ‘dairy ice cream’ vegetable fat is not allowed. But this is not the case with anything labelled simply ‘ice cream’.
Here, the product is merely required to contain 2.5 per cent milk protein and 5 per cent of any kind of fat. This rarely comes from any fresh ingredient. Partially reconstituted skimmed milk is one source. Another is whey solids.

Shitty source but it checks out, american standards are even lower. Ice cream is essentially just sugary oily milk now.
>>
>>7396890
But it doesn't. Its literally the best mass marketed ice cream
>>
>>7396989
So by this metric the best possible icecream would just be a frozen solid block of cream, sugar, and vanilla?
>>
They have pretty good chunks of whatever in their ice cream, but the stuff's definitely overpriced. It's a nice treat once in a while tho
>>
>>7396691

disagreeing here

I feel like Ben and Jerry's is really dense and milky while other ice cream is more light and airy.

I fucking love it. God-tier American ice cream.
>>
>>7397239
but does any of that actually matter if it tastes good? its not like you eat it everyday
>>
>>7396615
It is actually really good ice cream. The ingredients are top tier. Their marketing and distribution have them in most supermarkets with other ice creams that are filled with chemical binders and artificial flavorings. Compared to Breyer's or Turkey Hill or Blue Bunny, Ben and Jerry's is pretty fucking good.
>>
>>7397297
Goddamn you are one insufferable faggot.
>>
>>7397270
Only if you like real ice cream I suppose
>>
>2016
>not eating real, homemade 'ice cream'
>>
File: IMG_1598.jpg (1 MB, 2750x1666) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1598.jpg
1 MB, 2750x1666
Haagen Daz vs Ben and Jerry's ingredients list.

No thanks. I'll take HD any day over BJ ' partially defatted peanut flour', 'carrageenan', and whey protein concentrate.
>>
>>7397849
That's quite alarming...
>>
>>7397849
lol fuck off cunt.
All of those things are perfectly natural.

>Partially defatted peanut flour
Literally just means peanut butter, fried in a pan to sear the fat like a steak then mixed with flour

>whey protein concentrate
Boiled whey protein

>natural flavor
Water mixed with berries

>soy lecithin
Just means egg noodles mixed with soy sauce then pureed in a blender

>sodium bicarbonate
Salt mixed with flour

>carrageenan
Indian name for margarine

Butthurt Hagen Dick detected
>>
File: bjschwed06.png (109 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
bjschwed06.png
109 KB, 500x340
>>7397882
Lol then why doesn't HD need that shit?

Take your guar gum and inferior cream content and get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>7397849
These are different flavors lol.

The bnj looks like one with cookies and that's just regular coffee ice cream from hd
>>
>>7397849
Hardly a fair comparison. The B&J one is Peanut Buttah Cookie Core, which has a lot of other stuff in it.

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/peanut-buttah-cookie-core
Ben and Jerry's Vanilla:
>Cream, skim milk, liquid sugar (sugar, water), water, egg yolks, sugar, guar gum, vanilla extract, vanilla beans, carrageenan
http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/vanilla-ice-cream

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla:
>Cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract
http://www.haagendazs.us/Products/Product/2473

B&J does use thickeners and added water but note that they do use vanilla beans and not just extract.
>>
Honestly, ice cream is bad for you, and going with less or none at all is a better way to live.

Like they say, anything that's too popular is bad!
>>
>>7397922
>Like they say, anything that's too popular is bad!

Who exactly is "they"?
>>
cuz it's a meme that millenials fall for
>>
>>7397906
Compare it to HD Vanilla Bean, which is
>cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, ground vanilla beans, vanilla extract

It's the same thing as regular vanilla, except with tiny flakes of vanilla pod. Note that the superior Haagen Dazs vanilla bean makes do without Fair Trade© thickeners and stabilizers. It's already perplexing enough why people like to mix in cookies, fudge, nuclear waste, and other garbage but actually thinking that the Ben and Jerry's base ice cream is better in any form than HD is taking it to a new level.
>>
File: 1455312145162.png (15 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1455312145162.png
15 KB, 480x480
>arguing over ersatz-custard

i pity you subhumans
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.