[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to Korea in a few weeks to work for the next year. Anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9
File: bbqpork[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
bbqpork[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Moving to Korea in a few weeks to work for the next year. Anyone have easy Korean recipes? Good places to shop or even just food pics of Korean food? I am going to be living in Cheongju. I will start with basically the only Korean food I know. Bulgogi.
>>
>>7395445
In b4 cultural stereotyping and racism
>>
File: 1.jpg (106 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
106 KB, 600x450
>>7395445
stop wasting bandwidth on terrible quality images.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 600x450
>>7395445
Stone bowl bibimbap #1 Korea food
>>
kimuchi is good
as your fermentation
^-^
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 400x300
As someone living in Korea, in Cheongju: Korean food is the most basic, simple food I've ever seen in the world. It's basically poor people food. There is almost no process or craft to anything they make here. This isn't me saying its bad, some of it is legitimately tastey. Try out Galbijjim, Tonkatsu, Jiggae, Dakghalbi, and Shabu Shabu.

For places to shop: Your local grocery store. Or the larger stores like Homeplus and E-Mart.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Lamb skewers.
>>
>>7395481
>bibimbap

i still cant get over that name. it sounds like some ragtime dance.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Forget the name of this. It's a stewed chicken with vegetables with a heavy black sauce.
>>
File: image.jpg (359 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359 KB, 1600x1200
Jjampong, spicey seafood soup.
>>
>>7395528
HOLY FUCK THAT LOOKS AMAZING WTF WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE
>>
>>7395514
That's because Korea hasn't taken their cooking out of the post-war stage yet.

I was in Busan for a while, so it is definitely larger than Cheongju, however most of the meals there are yeah basic. "Throw it all into a pot and boil it and that is the meal", which is tasty for some things and other things are just plain boring when done like that.

Over time Korean food will change slowly as the next generation starts to catch on with cooking and food which is slowly happening in Seoul and Busan.

>>7395518
Lamb is not popular in South Korea, you're actually more likely to find dog meat than lamb.

>>7395524
That is JjimDak (찜닭) which is super tasty.
>>
>>7395763

Where are you going to be in Cheongju?

Also I've had dog. Was not a fan.
>>
>>7395766

I wasn't in Cheongju, another anon was. I'm currently in Australia but I want to come back to Korea one day.

I had 보신탕 as well, not spectacular since it is just a meal of throwing everything into a pot and boiling it.

However I do want to do temple cuisine at whereever Jeong Kwan is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/t-magazine/jeong-kwan-the-philosopher-chef.html?_r=0

Because that does seem interesting and something that is divergent from the post war time meals
>>
File: homer drooling.gif (20 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
homer drooling.gif
20 KB, 250x200
>>7395528
>mussels
>spicy

You got me
>>
>>7395481
stone bowl is the heated one right?
>>
>>7395481
does the egg get any more cooked than that? i wouldn't be able to eat a straight up raw egg
>>
>>7395514
This is a good thing, I like basic foods just as much as complex. The cure of being an Australian in a gourmet boom
>>
Check out Maangchi, her channel is full of korean dishes and you'll find stuff you will want to try in SK.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Maangchi/videos
>>
>>7395949
*curse
>>
>>7395950
Thank you I will. I really love, as op said before, the post war cooking Korean's have. The basic meat and soup dishes may seem boring to some, but I am very interested in Korean history, and it is amazing how a countries food from the past has barely changed over 500 years. If you know what I mean. I am rambling a bit.
>>
>>7395478
I know I just googled it. My only excuse its it unlimited bandwidth.
>>
>>7395514
Jjigae looks amazing. I hear there is an amazing fresh food market in Cheongiu as well. Have you seen it?
>>
File: food.png (844 KB, 613x548) Image search: [Google]
food.png
844 KB, 613x548
Korean food is extremely simple and fucking delicious.

If you just get a few basic ingredients you can make almost every dish.

I suggest you start by learning how to make Kimchi jigae, which is basically the "starving college student" meal of Korea that anyone can make. Try making a new recipe from Maangchi's site every week, and try your hand at making homemade kimchi (saves you money, and is easy af). Banchan are also usually quite simple and quite tasty. Kkakdugi, kimchijeon, gamjajorim, and oi-muchim are good places to start.

Eat everything you see, and don't be afraid to try new things! Trying new stuff on the streets or in restaurants is also a good way to expand your Korean cooking repertoire. I'm really jealous of you OP, I'd love to go to Korea.

Also, I can confirm that Bulgogi is very easy to make

>pic related: beef bulgogi, homemade kimchi, oi-muchim, sukjunamul-muchim, and raw garlic, ssamjang, jalapenos, carrots, and cucumbers to make lettuce wraps
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.