[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is baking? Good bread is like 6 bucks a loaf. I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: baking[1].png (946 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
baking[1].png
946 KB, 1280x720
How hard is baking? Good bread is like 6 bucks a loaf. I can't afford that shit.
>>
baking is legos dude

just follow the instructions
>>
>>7395231
It's all about technique, ingredient-wise you could make a month's worth of bread for ten dollars because it's just water salt yeast and flour.

Also takes a lot of fucking time to make a decent product.
>>
>>7395231
It's not. But bread isn't worth consuming a lot of, anyway. A fun luxury, but like all "staples" it should only be frequently consumed by poor people who need to fill out their calorie intake.
>>
>>7395231
Where do you live that good bread is 6 bucks a loaf? Prison?
>>
>>7395240
>a staple
>should only be consumed by poor people
What stupid meme is this?
>>
>>7395248
The ancient "common sense" meme that nobody usues anymore. All staple foods are empty carbs.
>>
>>7395271
Surely there must be some people left who still get most of their calorie intake from staples such as bread, pasta, or rice.
>>
>>7395240
>luxury
>should only be consumed by poor people
Is English not your first language? I hope so.
>>
I liek bread dipped in sketti
>>
>>7395369
/thread
>>
>>7395231
I find baking to be easier than cooking over a stove top.
I've lost track of the number of times I've screwed up a recipe by overcooking/undercooking/burning/drowning/ food in a pan but I've never messed up a cake.
>>
>>7395231
Stick to simple no-knead breads and it's not that hard. You just follow the recipe. The waiting periods are honestly the hardest part of the recipe to endure.
>>
Are bread machines worth it?
>>
>>7395285
yeah, poor people
>>
>>7395378
The ones with a Fleshlight are.
>>
>>7395231
Easy, only difficult step is kneading.
Easier, if you have a stand mixer.
Even easier if you use a no knead recipe.
>>
>good bread is $6 a loaf

That's a buck more than here. Even a dollar per loaf is too costly considering I can bake one for under 45¢.
Anyway, I used to work as a bread baker while I was at university, learned to bake on the job and have been baking bread for myself ever since. Flour, water, yeast, salt, time and heat. That's all you need.

Buy strong/high gluten/"bread" flour from supermarkets when on special offer, which is usually around Christmastime and/or Easter, or in bulk from a supply shop or wholesaler. I get eight sacks of King Arthur at $1.99 per 5lb bag every December. Literally all the supermarkets around here have it on sale at the same time, always at $1.99 per sack. I assume the same is true elsewhere.
Next, get some active dry yeast. Don't buy sachets/packets. Typically, Mexican grocers will carry jars or vacpacks of the stuff for about $2-3 per pound. Considering that a single large loaf will only use about 6-8g, that pound of yeast should last you a year if you bake a loaf weekly.

>>7395239
>a month of bread for $10
What kind of gilded, diamond-encrusted bread with white truffle, beluga caviar and kopi luwak are you baking, Anon? It's literally under $2 for a month's worth of homemade bread.

>>7395285
Yeah: all of the people from the world's blue zones. Like me. We live to be so old that senility kicks in and we just kind of forget to die.
And we all eat rather carb-heavy diets, despite being from completely different cultures.

>>7395378
Not really. They don't knead well, they can't bake crusty breads and take up a huge amount of counter space. Better to learn to knead and shape bread on your own.
>>
File: Bread.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Bread.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>7395483
>Buy strong/high gluten/"bread" flour from supermarkets...

I buy 25 pound sacks of generic AP flour for like 7 bucks and it works fine for almost everything from bread, to tortilla's, pasta, you name it....

>>7395378

Fuck no, anon.

Making bread is easy, and if you use a no knead approach, the longest part of the process is the baking, which takes like maybe 20-30 minutes.

Pic related: a hand made baguette recipe I tried the other day made with generic AP flour. Turned out great.

If I can do it, you can, anon.
>>
>>7395606
I don't mind paying 10¢ more per pound for strong flour and am very happy with it. I've tried AP and it just doesn't bake well for the sort of bread I bake.
Admittedly, many sorts of bread come out okay with AP, but they're not types that are as firm-crusted as I prefer. And forget trying to use AP in baking rye or whole wheat breads. Not a good idea at all.
>>
Google "Sweet Paul, skillet bread"

It's a simple recipe that won't disappoint.
>>
File: IMG_0034.jpg (100 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0034.jpg
100 KB, 640x480
I just made eclairs for my girlfriend!
I think I needed to bake them a bit longer though because the filling was really quick to make the inside of the pate a choux soggy.
>>
Why the hell is everyone telling anon to use no-knead recipes or a stand mixer?

Knead the bread by hand. That shit is zen and totally my favorite part about baking bread.
>>
>>7395647

Any chance you have a money shot?

They look pretty good from the outside.

I've done a few things with pate a choux, but have never tried eclairs before (though I don't see them being that difficult).
>>
>>7395647
Would eat while drinking a cup of coffee.
>>
File: IMG_0035.jpg (84 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
84 KB, 640x480
>>7395666
The first picture made them look a bit bigger than they actually are. Roughly the size of a banana.
>>
>>7395671

Would tongue and nibble.

The outside definitely looks fully cooked, so I'm guessing the inside was soggy because you put in too much filling (which I think I'd be perfectly okay with).
>>
>>7395483
How long can I keep flour for?
>>
>>7395684
At least a year in an airtight container, upwards of 2 or more in the fridge or freezer.
>>
>>7395348
It's not, but I'm so good at the language that I'm able to pick up on contextual cues to determine the precise usage of a particular word.

For instance, when the word "luxury" is used in the sense of "desirable for comfort or enjoyment, but not indispensable," I am able to figure out that it is not meant of the sense of "costly or opulent surroundings or possessions."

It's just a gift I have. Knowing a language better than its autistic native speakers.
>>
>>7395796
Bwahahaha, no, poor people don't eat "fun luxuries" as staples. Nice attempt, though.
>>
>>7396021
Yeah, they eat cheap and not particularly fun bread as a staple. There are also better breads that are fun to eat.

Do you know much about bread, anon? You seem inexperienced.
>>
Do you guys know any good comprehensive beginner baking guides? I want to practice baking.
/ck/ really needs a sticky.
>>
>>7396573
Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast by Ken Forkish.
>>
baking if very easy if you have a good recipe, the necessary equipment, and quality ingredients. there are only a couple of techniques that you need to learn, and these are fairly easy if you can find a good demonstration.

>>7396573
>/ck/ really needs a sticky.
no, you need to learn to use a search engine
>>
I bake a sourdough loaf every other day, just about. Quick and easy and cheap as hell. I let the bread machine do the kneading and shape the dough with my oiled hands, so cleanup is minimal
>>
>>7396853
We're a community with particular experiences and standards that a Google search might not match.

>>7397210
You eat half of a bread loaf per day?
>>
>>7398308
>We're a community with particular experiences and standards that a Google search might not match.

This is one of the most hilarious things I've read all day.
>>
>>7395231
not hard, just messy
like my peepee desu
>>
>>7398318
I have to kind of believe that to justify ever coming here. Sometimes there's a good thread about some specialty topic that makes me think it, like cheese or mushroom threads.
>>
>>7398358
or a good dick measuring thread on who is the worst/best alcoholic
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.