[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you cook for one? do you just always have an insane amount
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: lasagna15.jpg (2 MB, 4272x2848) Image search: [Google]
lasagna15.jpg
2 MB, 4272x2848
how do you cook for one? do you just always have an insane amount of left overs? pic related lasagna for the week lmao
>>
Cook smaller portions or have leftovers to eat for the next few days or freeze.

I usually just cook a big batch of whatever, eat leftovers for a couple days and then portion and freeze the rest if there's still some left and I don't feel like eating it anymore.
>>
>>7394465
>do you just always have an insane amount of left overs?

The trick is to cook for four and then split it into four portions, and freeze three of them.

Lasagne is actually an okay dish to do that with, as it happens.
>>
>>7394474
>>7394480
Not everything can be made into leftovers. Things like pizza are shit after just a day in the fridge.
>>
>>7394483
Pizza is easy to scale to a smaller recipe. If you don;t want a ton of leftover pizza, make a smaller pizza.
>>
i cook and have leftovers
>>
>>7394483
>Not everything can be made into leftovers.

Well yeah, no shit. You need to pick your dishes for things that can be frozen & re-heated without affecting it too much.
>>
>>7394465
Just eat all of it and do some cardio.
>>
>>7394494
Right, so the only things I can ever cook are things that can be frozen and reheated? That's just great
>>
>>7394499
cook some food. eat as much as you feel like. freeze it. re cook it. why is this a problem for you? pizza is easy to make for one anyway OPs lasagna isn't
>>
>>7394499
That's a fucking huge range of dishes, familiar.
>>
>>7394499
What are you trying to make that can't be made in smaller portions and is unsuitable for leftovers?
>>
>>7394515
Some things take way too much effort to be worth making just 1 portion, yet can't be made into leftovers.
>>
>>7394516
Such as?
>>
so with leftovers if I freeze it how do i thaw it? do I put it in the fridge the night before and just microwave/ recook it?
>>
>>7394529
Yes.

Once defrosted do not re-freeze.
>>
>>7394529
I usually just defrost in the microwave. Sometimes I'll put stuff like stew or soup into a pot and heat it up over low heat until it's hot. Sometimes I'll just leave it in the fridge overnight or out on the counter for a few hours to partially defrost first. I've put stuff like frozen lasagna or other leftover casserole type things in the oven to defrost/reheat as well.
>>
>>7394465

Take the recipe, read up into how many servings it it and then divide the ingredient requirements until you have a single serving
>>
>>7394542
This dosn't *always* work, especially when you have small amounts of certain things. I did some garlic butter prawns last night, which called for 1/4 cup of chicken stock to 11/2lb of shrimp, which is silly if you half if because there isn't enough liquid to cook anything before it boils off.

You have to use your brain a little.
>>
>>7394545
5.5 lbs of shrimp is a lot
>>
>>7394483
How are you reheating the pizza? If you're using a microwave, then you're doing it wrong. Use the oven or a pan.
>>
>>7394545
Eggs are also a pain to divide desu
>>
>>7394465
cook for four, eat for two, dine for two.
>>
>>7394483

Yeah but when you make pizza there's never no leftovers namsaying nigga
>>
So ITT people tell OP hoe to cook for one, and his response is basically just
>no I don't want to be limited to food that can be reheated!!

You either need to make recipes that scale down or recipes with good leftovers. What other options are there? There are plenty of cookbooks that advertise cooking for one.
>>
>>7394545
>11/2lb
Are decimals this hard for Americans? Did you mean 5.5 or 1.5?

And if you used a smaller pan (you know, scale it with the rest of the recipe) it would cover your shrimps and cook them before boiling off.
>>
>>7396410
>And if you used a smaller pan (you know, scale it with the rest of the recipe)

Brilliant thinking that man!

So...know anywhere I can buy quarter-size pans?
>>
>>7394465
Just half or quarter the recipe depending on how many people it feeds? It's not that hard
>>
>>7394492

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
File: 2016-02-20 14.33.46.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-20 14.33.46.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>7396425
>quarter-size pans
are you telling me you have never seen pans of different sizes? the far left one is tiny, so you can cook tiny servings with it
>>
>>7394552
>>7396410

He obviously meant to say "1/2" Holy shit
>>
When I cook for one I find that it's easiest to put one steak in the pan instead of two, because if I cooked two steak then I'd have one left over.
Hope this helps.
>>
>>7396425
>quarter-size pans
Which quarter? You guys really have fucked up units...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_%28unit%29
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.