[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are sprouts not popular? i love them on sandwiches. i often
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: sprouts1.jpg (31 KB, 312x279) Image search: [Google]
sprouts1.jpg
31 KB, 312x279
why are sprouts not popular? i love them on sandwiches. i often can't find them in the supermarkets and most sandwich shops don't have them. i'd rather have some nice crunchy sprouts than whatever sad excuse for lettuce or other greens most sandwich places use.
>>
They go bad pretty quickly.
>>
Because watercress is better.
>>
File: Sprouts.png (120 KB, 464x535) Image search: [Google]
Sprouts.png
120 KB, 464x535
>>7394338
Meh. Not even the best sprout.
>>
They go bad too quick. I work produce and we used to carry them. We'd get a case, not sell any, three days later have to throw them all away and get a new case. I tossed two cases a week in the garbage and was lucky if I even sold 2 containers of sprouts.
>>
They used to be hugely popular back in the 80's and early 90's - sold everywhere and offered on sandwiches in restaurants.

Then a couple people got sick and virtually everyone stopped offering them.

I ate them all the time growing up, and just recently found a store that carries them. Bacon, avocado, sprouts, and mayo on toasted whole grain bread was, and still is one of my favorite comfort foods.
>>
Op you should grow your own.
>sproutpeople.com
>>
>>7394456
this. I don't even think you can sell them without food poisoning warnings anymore because of that
>>
>>7394415
>>7394441
>>7394456
didn't know that. that sucks.

>>7394432
i like bean sprouts too, but not for sandwiches. i can usually find those at an asian market.
>>
You can do up your own sprouts
http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/grow-your-own-sprouts-jar.html
>>
>>7394464
>>7394498
might try this for fun. how do i make sure my sprouts don't give me food poisoning?
>>
>>7394338
i buy a bag of sprouts twice a month.

sandwiches, noodles, salad
>>
File: 54450293_p22.png (569 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
54450293_p22.png
569 KB, 1024x764
I hate it too, I have to grow my own because you can't find them anywhere where I live.

At least they're easy to grow, and you can do it indoors so you can do it all year long
>>
File: tuna_sprout_sandwich.jpg (183 KB, 1200x809) Image search: [Google]
tuna_sprout_sandwich.jpg
183 KB, 1200x809
>>7394338
>why are sprouts not popular?

I had a tuna sandwich once at Jimmy Johns with bean sprouts and thought it was much better then with lettuce but I don't like Jimmy Johns, as I can't see them making my sandwich and Subway doesn't offer bean sprouts.
>>
Is this what Americans call cress?
>>
I throw those bad boys on my sammies when I can. Also if your baking dish whole, I love to stuff the fish full of sprouts. Tastes & smells amazing. Also looks cool coming out of the fishes mouth
>>
>>7394572
No.
>>
>>7394432
Mung is God-tier.
>>
>>7394509
Read the FAQs on those links.
>>
>>7394509
Don't shit on them.
>>
the real reason?
http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/types/fruits/sprouts.html
>What can consumers do to reduce the risk of illness?
>Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure that raw sprouts have not been added.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.