[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Never made Ratatouille before Blown away by how close this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160219_074822868.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_074822868.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>Never made Ratatouille before
Blown away by how close this tastes to meat

I added a touch of smoked paprika and it's even closer.

How can I make it taste even closer to meat?
What are some spice combos that turn veg into meat?
>>
All meats taste different from one another though...
>>
>>7392125
Add a little msg, it's my wife's boyfriends mother's not so secret ingredient.
>>
try a tiny amount of bootstrap molasses or ginger. both create much earthier flavors in small amount. molasses is very bloodlike in nature
>>
>>7392156
bootstrap lol woops. blackstrap
>>
>>7392154
What this anon said. Use it carefully, and remember that anybody who says it's unhealthy is an idiot. MSG has never been shown to cause any harm, ever. If you want to get really funky on it, check out the chefsteps confit byriani ratatouille recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/get-creative-with-pixar-style-ratatouille
>>
>>7392154
>>7392161
I actually have an excess of MSG sitting in the cupboard, didn't even think about it. Good call, cheers.

>>7392156
Right on. Ginger seems to go really well with garam masala too, which also enhances meaty flavours.
>>
>>7392125
Add some marmite.
>>
>>7392125
>How can I make it taste even closer to meat?

put meat into it

I have no fucking idea how inaccurate your taste buds are if you eat ratatouille and think it's anything like meat in flavor.
>>
>>7392296
>I have no fucking idea how inaccurate your taste buds are if you eat ratatouille and think it's anything like meat in flavor.

It's intentionally flavoured like meat and is widely known as resembling meat. You're probably cooking it wrong or doing something retarded.
>>
I have to make this one day because although I'll eat anything I just can't see it being as great as it's popularity suggests it is. The same with a lot of Frenchie cuisine actually.
>>
>>7392300
>is widely known as resembling meat.

Really isn't though. And if it is, it's among stupid people.

There's nothing meat like in it, flavor or texture wise.
>>
>>7392308

It's not that great, nor that popular.

The thing with Keller and Ratatouille (the movie) is that it's a peasant food, requiring the freshest ingredients and a master chef to elevate it into something special. The movie also have the Proust aspect of involuntary memories - the food critic having grown up eating his mother's version in the country as a child, or whatever.

Most often it's just a pile of mushed vegetables.
>>
>>7392316
get fucked and get out please
>>
What's your recipe?
>>
>>7392362
I just did a quick google and winged it with what I had in the fridge.

>Celery chunks
>Tomatos
>Some brussel sprouts
>Asparagus chunks
>White cabbage diced
>Garlic chunks

>Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil
>Teaspoon of brown sugar
>Passata
>Touch of lemon juice
>Paprika
>Dash of parsley I had leftover

20 minutes in the round metal heat maker and bingo bongo
>>
>>7392125
MUSHROOMS
>>
>>7392323

Leftover ratatouille is a God tier omelette filling though.
>>
File: 1454236973216.png (207 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1454236973216.png
207 KB, 557x605
>>7392377
>winged it
every cooking experience where i had to wing it always turned out great in the end
> when your improvised ingredients mix just right
>>
>>7392377
That's not a ratatouille. Not even close.

You aren't even using vegetables from the right season, apart from tomatoes. Though I suppose it must be winter where you are.

Its a summer dish, or courgette, tomato, garlic, onions and frequently bell pepper and aubergine, usually finished with marjoram, though any fresh herbs will lift it up.

Its also seriously good if you have halfway decent produce. I would suggest you actually try and make one during summer.
>>
>>7392323
>He didn't eat good ratatouille from his mother in the country as a child
I pity you. you probably didn't even have a good one as an adult.
>>
>>7392410
Yeah, I hear it has a light fruity flavour when done right, and I know it would've been better if I'd had aubergine or added courgette, but it was still fucking tasty.

Gonna try adding nutmeg, mushrooms and red onion next time. Marjoram is a good call too.
>>
>>7392410

It's pretentious as fuck to use French names for some ingredients and English ones for the rest.

French or English. Not both.
>>
>>7392433
There is just a period of time where all that shit is in season and so everything is fresh and good and cheap.

Its just at the end of it here and I have had some fantastic ratatouille this summer...

>Gonna try adding nutmeg, mushrooms...

And you aren't going to make a ratatouille then either.
>>
>>7392446
That's fine, I'm not here to get autistic about categorization, I'm here to discover and try foods
>>
>>7392444
Is it?

For what its worth all those terms are used pretty much interchangeably here, you will see courgette much more than zucchini and aubergine as much as eggplant.

I also just spent three years cooking in a french speaking kitchen in Brussels...

But stay mad at other peoples lexical choice if you want faggot. Doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>7392449
You mean invent instead of discover, don't you?
>>
>>7392457
Sure, whatever helps you feel better about being autistic on the internet
>>
>>7392464
Have fun emptying your pantry in your pots, uncultured swine.
>>
>>7392464
I have no clue what I'm doing, the movie.
>>
>>7392472
philistine
>>
>>7392125

cubed steak.
>>
>>7392455

You know what? I forgot how many Brits their were on this board. Aubergine and courgette are used in British English, aren't they?
>>
>>7392444
What this guy said
>>7392455
It's only a handful of fags who do that, you are literally why the "le" meme exists, congratulations cancer
>>7392495
No, only in the internationalized "nu-English" used by effeminate males who chopped their own dicks off because of tumblr
>>
>>7392300
>>7392342

>It's intentionally flavoured like meat and is widely known as resembling meat.

what the actual fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>7392709
If you ask anyone in the UK what a zucchini is, they'd be clueless. Like fuck, I didn't even know what one was until I browsed this board, it's always been courgette here
>>
>>7392444

says mr 'bleu cheese'
>>
>>7392719

>If you ask anyone in the UK what a zucchini is, they'd be clueless.

speak for yourself you fucking shut-in holy shit.
>>
>>7392709
>i get triggered by people using a loanword

it's courgette and aubergine, deal with it fag
>>
>>7392709
>>7392444

yes because mixing italian, mexican and english names is so much better
>>
>>7392719
Yeah but nobody in the UK knows what a chef's knife is either, do you really expect me to believe food words are a matter of national expertise for you?
>>
>pic of vegetable soup
>>Celery chunks
>>Some brussel sprouts
>>Asparagus chunks
>>White cabbage diced

>Never made Ratatouille
FTFY you fucking retard
>>
>>7392487
Underrated roast
>>
>>7392709
>amerifat gets angry when someone says a french word
>doesn't realise that around 30% of all words in the english language are french

you know celery is a french word too mate, as well as being a vegetable that you put into your ratatouille faggot
>>
File: Tom.jpg (25 KB, 314x246) Image search: [Google]
Tom.jpg
25 KB, 314x246
>>7392125
>Be Frenchfag born in Provence
>See OP's pic
>He calls that ratatouille
>Thinks it tastes like meat

Triggered.
>>
>>7393088
>>7392728

Loanwords have become English words. Aubergine and Courgette are Britfags trying to make themselves sound like fancy Europoors to make themselves feel better about their daughter becoming Achmeds fourth wife.
>>
>>7394224
What this guy said
>>7393088
So I suppose we should all say "ordenateur" instead of "computer" because many English words have a French origin?

No, fuck off pansy. I love French culture, half the cooking equipment in my kitchen was made in France, but here in the Anglophone world we use English words for vegetables. I'm sorry you're insecure about your heritage.
>>
>>7392721

It's blue cheese, actually.

How do you not know how to spell blue? Did you drop out halfway through kindergarten?
>>
Wow Americans really get triggered with unfamiliar names for things.

brb going to get some green onions I left in the boot to cook on the hob in my aluminium pan.
>>
>>7394242
Don't forget your faggots, faggot.
>>
>>7394242
I'm Canadian
>>
Add foods with natural glutamates. People itt are suggesting msg and thats good. But foods high on natural glutamates give you that umami or whatever that weeb word is. Mushrooms come to mind.

Chefsteps have a fool proof recipe for ratatouille that's really easy and has a nicer presentation than ops pile of vomit. I added wild boar and bacon sausages last time I made it, so yeah it tasted like meat.

>>7394210
Ratatouille is one of the least technical French dishes. It's the French pizza and there's no need for you to get butthurt like the Italians get over muh variation. It's literal scrap food.
>>
>>7394242
Why the hell doesn't know what a green onion is?
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 263x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 263x378
>>7392154
>wife's boyfriends mother's
>>
>>7394248
DUDE GRAVY ON FRIES LMAO!

Noose yourself.

>>7394261
You gotta keep the cuck meme fresh somehow.
>>
>>7394257
>glutamates

Go be a dumb merrylard somewhere else, ratatouille is a dish that shines with the right combination of ingredients. No fucking mushrooms, no stinking glutamate and certainly no 'american creativity' needed.
>>
Can anyone post the chefsteps recipe?
>>
>>7394317
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chefsteps+ratatouille
>>
>>7394328
it says you need premium
>>
>>7394334
wat
>>
>>7394336
yes
>>
>>7394275
Ratatouille is so good because of glutamates though. If you think glutamates don't belong in ratatouille, you must be making it without tomatoes.
>>
>>7394257
Fedora tipping tripfag : the post.
>>
>>7392125

Add mushrooms, especially shiitake, or just MSG, and onions. You could also roast the tomatoes before hand.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.