[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
Looking for a new knife, what do you guys think of Bolo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkWwp_Xzq8
>>
File: chef's knife.jpg (19 KB, 600x252) Image search: [Google]
chef's knife.jpg
19 KB, 600x252
>>7391933
It's just a pizza cutter, but I'll play along: let's compare it to pic related, the chef's knife.

>more precise than a normal knife
A chef's knife, properly sharpened, is the most precise tool out there. The Bolo looks like a pain in the ass to sharpen, so a month or two into use, I can see everything but the limpest herbs slipping and quelching out from under it unless you use lots of pressure, which brings us to
>takes the strain off the hand
Using a rocking motion with a chef's knife doesn't strain the hand. Maybe if you're using a bread knife to cut pizza, yeah, it'd be a little easier - but like I said, if it goes dull, you'll be forcing more pressure on the blade, and by consequence, your wrists

Now let's look at what a chef's knife can do that a bolo can't:
>use as a utensil to bring diced foods to the pot or pan (extremely useful when you have little bits of garlic or vegetable)
>make horizontal cuts
>cut anything thicker than a carrot

A heavy, sharp blade with a concave edge extending downwards from the hand is the best tool for the kitchen. The Chinese know it, and they use a cleaver. The Europeans know it, and they use a chef's knife.

Bolo is poo.
>>
>>7392013

>The Bolo looks like a pain in the ass to sharpen

They should have put a stone in the handle which you could press on the knife. Just roll across the cutting board to sharpen.
>>
File: ff.jpg (461 KB, 1280x1426) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
461 KB, 1280x1426
that's a just a pizza cutter.
>>
>>7392077
I know what you're getting at, but that's wear down on the blade way too quickly.

Also checked
>>
>>7391933
How would you even chop an onion with that thing?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.