[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some advice /ck/ I'm a single soldier living in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_6127.jpg (102 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6127.jpg
102 KB, 800x600
I need some advice /ck/
I'm a single soldier living in the barracks and I would like to start making my own food. I was only given a fridge and a microwave so I plan on most likely getting a toaster oven and a crockpot this upcoming weekend. What else would you recommend on getting for a "starter" kitchen of sorts, as well as simple foods that I can make regularly?

The shakshouka image is not entirely relevant
>>
File: gr1_hero.jpg (31 KB, 451x369) Image search: [Google]
gr1_hero.jpg
31 KB, 451x369
>>7391159
Get one of these and hide during inspections.

Or go find some dumb whore and marry her for the BAH.
>>
>>7391159
I'd recommend getting one of those electric skillets. ONe with a lid would be preferable.
>>
>>7391168
Agreed. Some of these models have different attachments which adds variability.
>>
>>7391168
I've checked before but I've never seen anything stating that we're not allowed to have those in my barracks regulations so I might not even need to hide it
>Marry someone for BAH
I got pretty close to a single mom, but she was trying to cheat and invited me to church so I got away from her real quick
>>
I thought, like, the US military just gave soldiers food, at a mess hall or something. Are you not US or am I mistaken; I don't keep close tabs on mi familia in the SS.
>>
>>7391381
Well they do, but I'd really not eat at the military "cafeteria". While the food is selected to be part of a healthy/balanced diet the manner in which the food is cooked/prepared does not make it an enjoyable meal. It's on and off though, sometimes it's alright but for the most part I do not like going there because chicken that's about as dry as a biscuit is not what I want from a chiken
>>
>>7391159
maybe get a hot plate, definitely a small rice cooker. you might even be able to buy a rice cooker/slow cooker combo device.
i don't have a lot of ideas right now for food. i can think of meatloaf in the slow cooker, and pork shoulder in the slow cooker. if you get the hot plate, you can make loco moco.
>>
>>7391159
Been a few years but I don't think crock pots are approved for use in the bricks.

Just go to the chow hall, you're paying for it anyways.
>>
>>7391400
Skip the hot plate and buy an induction burner. They're flameless, now inexpensive, and less dangerous than hot plates. Not military though, so I don't know what you're allowed.
>>
>>7391397
What branch?
>>
>>7391159
Just become an officer, it's easier than learning to cook.
>>
>>7391441
Depends on what the command allows.
I had a cappuccino machine and a hot plate.
They never said shit.
>>
>>7391441
Pressure cooker - no

Crock pot yeah
>>
>>7391686
I'm in the regular army
>>
>>7391159
> I'm a single soldier living in the barracks and I would like to start making my own food.

Is the food that bad?

I wasn’t in the military but back in the late 1970s / early 80s I was in Boy Scouts and ever year we did a “camp out” at Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Michigan and the food was fantastic, served in hug quantities and cheep as hell.

I remember getting a whole cafeteria tray piled with pancakes, (which are the best I’ve ever had) bacon, ham, sausages, any kinda eggs, fruit, danishes, etc. for something like $1.50 and dinner had dozens of choices and was only $3-4.
>>
>shakshouka

god can you get any more reddit
>>
>>7392068

>served in hug quantities

Sounds a little like rape, anon.
>>
>>7392078

Not that anon, but I was going through my old /ck/ folder earlier today and saw that I'd saved an almost identical image of shakshouka from here 5 or 6 years ago.

Do you go to reddit just so you can form the opposite opinion of everything they say? I really don't get it; why not just post here and ignore it if you don't like it. Only reason I don't go there is the site design, so I don't have any idea what gets posted there or reposted here, and honestly couldn't care less.
>>
>>7391159
Is the army really as gay as everyone says it is?
>>
>>7393207

It's not navy gay but it's pretty gay.
>>
>>7393218
/hm/ gay or /fit/ gay?
>>
File: shakshuka_c.jpg (53 KB, 435x329) Image search: [Google]
shakshuka_c.jpg
53 KB, 435x329
idgaf this is now a shakshuka thread, sorry OP
>>
>>7391159
Which nation's Army and which barracks?
>>
>>7393249
No it isn't, faggot.
>>
>>7391159
>crockpot
If you can find some kind of induction heater, then get a thermal cooker pot instead. You'll get browning and the food will taste better while not heating your room. Plus it's safer.
>>
File: Weber smokey Joe.jpg (146 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Weber smokey Joe.jpg
146 KB, 1500x1500
>>7391381
>I thought, like, the US military just gave soldiers food, at a mess hall or something.

They do, but the only time the chow halls put out max effort is during the duty day when all the troops, and the command, are likely to use it, and then they slack the fuck off during the week ends when only the single soldiers living in the barracks are likely to use them.

Some of the fuckers even close down, which means those soldiers have to travel half way around post to find the chow hall actually operating, and since they are all ran by different organizations, the quality changes depending on who is actually operating the facility.

In short, the U.S. military fucks over the single soldier and treats them like shit at every opportunity.

>>7391159
>I need some advice /ck/

First, get a grill, pic related: Weber smokey joe 14inch grill....like $30 at walmart. Don't settle for an imitation brand and get the Weber, as they make good shoot.

Buy some bulk meat items, keep them in the freezer, and then grill those bitches outside, or you could even smoke em'. Delicious chow, and you learn how to grill.

Second, a hot plate, or a portable gas stove, will allow you to use a skillet to saute items. Get a fan and point it out the window while using the skillet to keep air circulating, and have a fire extinguisher near by for grease fires, just in case.

Lastly, a crock pot will allow you to slow cook and prepare some large quantities of chow that you can store for later use. Chilli, red beans and rice, stews, soups, pork and beef roasts, you can do them all in the crock pot.

Good luck, and don't burn the fucking barracks down...
>>
>>7391159
Hope you see this man,

I've been the army for going on five years now, and have became a pretty good cook while cooking in the barracks. I could go on for days about cooking in the B's but here's my tips:

-Toaster Oven (Had mine for 4 years now) can be used to cook meat and potatoes ect.

-Rice Cooker for steam vegetables and rice

-Buy a hot plate, can't stress this enough, without some kind of electric stove top you cannont sustain cooking. Not the one for just heating water but full on two burner electric stove top probably not allowed in the barracks just keep in a cupboard or some shit.

-Buy a couple pots and pans

-Stock up on Spices and Oils to spice up meals

Once you get all this you'll be good to go, Lastly don't buy for individual meals, buy ingredients that can be used in multiple meals i.e Chicken Breast, Rice, Different Vegetables, Beans, Eggs, Potatoes shit like that and start cooking.

Hopes this helps bruh, I know how much the DFAC sucks, I haven't eaten there in years, Once you stock your kitchen with Spices and other kitchen essentials you can cook for yourself 3 meals a day for only about 60$ every two weeks.
>>
>>7393352
>In short, the U.S. military fucks over the single soldier and treats them like shit at every opportunity.

>This
>>
>>7393442
>dipshits in military compliaining about their welfare

Nothing to see here.
>>
you can cook eggs in the microwave, crack one in a plastic cup and add just enough water to cover it. Microwave on high for just over a minute, no more than two. a few seconds will make the difference between hardboiled and perfectly poached
>>
>>7393222
Both.
>>
Heh, Air Force here. Food isn't bad desu senpai.

Army has better food down range though.
>>
>>7391906
Guess it's better than the irregular army.

I dunno how army chow is, but I bet u got a whole bunch of autists paired with a few people who actually care about their MOS, what's yours btw? If you can go watercraft operator. It's either open galley, or there's one cook and he's on his a - game
>>
>>7393634
>buy a grill for your barracks room
>probably e3/e4

Don't mind me staff sergeant just cooking a few burgers. Want one? Yeah and we got some beers in that cooler over there. Major is stopping by in a few to toss a few back. Man he is a hoot once you get him going!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.