[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best brand of Japanese rice sold outside of Japan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
What's the best brand of Japanese rice sold outside of Japan? I want something authentic. I know shinmai rice is almost impossible to get but is there anything else worth trying?
>>
>>7390889
japs themselves literally buy american grown rice.
>>
Go to a Japanese grocery store and ask for a recommendation on vintage and varietal.

Quality changes with the seasons.
>>
>>7390902
>japs themselves literally buy american grown rice.
This.

The best rice you can get at your grocery is probably Texmati, and that brand. If you want a short grain rice of creamy deliciousness of starch, try the spanish section for Goya Diana Valenica rice and make a nice risotto. If you want something special get some "popcorn" rice from Lousiana, for like the best of jasmine and basmati flavors.
>>
>>7390889
>outside of Japan
>authentic

Cool your heels
>>
>>7390902
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2008-05-22/how-japan-helped-ease-the-rice-crisisbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

>The U.S. fought for years to end Japanese rice protectionism, and getting Tokyo to agree to import rice from the U.S. and elsewhere was long a goal of American trade policy. But while the Japanese have been buying rice from farms in China and California for more than a decade, almost no imports ever end up on dinner plates in Japan. Instead the imported rice is sent as food aid to North Korea, added to beer and rice cakes, or mixed with other grains to feed pigs and chickens.
let the meme die
>>
>>7390934
You can't make onigiri with shitty 'Murican rice
>>
>>7390889
go to an asian market
find the most expensive bag of short grain rice.
itll be good.
>>
>>7390912
>texmati
>best

Texmati isn't bad rice, but the best US grown rice comes from California. Nishiki is what you want to buy if you want rice for Jap food. It's grown in California under the supervision of the JFC. Also, Californian rice in general has some of the lowest amounts of arsenic compared to other rices from around the world, as does Pakistan, oddly enough.
>>
>>7393498
Tamanishiki is better than Nishiki.
>>
File: image_247.jpg (67 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image_247.jpg
67 KB, 700x700
Pic related is very good.
>>
>>7390902
Literally every brand of rice in the 3 grocery stores near my apartment in Tokyo is grown in Japan, the vast majority coming from Chiba
>>
>>7393604
this
>>
Hitomebore is the one my Japanese gf buys here and bought in Japan.
>>
>>7390889
any brand of the big ass bag of jasmine rice you find at the asian market is fine anon
>>
>>7390889
But why? Do you have authentic Japanese bowls and cookware as well to connect to your anime fantasies?
>>
Hitomebore is the brand my Japanese girlfriend buys. I can't tell the difference because I didn't grow up on rice but she says she can
>>
>>7394446
>Hitomebore is the brand my Japanese girlfriend buys. I can't tell the difference because I didn't grow up on rice but she says she can

Now my post shows up after I type it out again. Fucking lag kill.
>>
>>7394414
Jasmine rice is terrible for Japanese food
>>
>>7394419
Japanese rice is pretty distinct. Imo its the best type of rice, i like it with Chinese food also.
>>
Just eat that whatever rice coz i'm asian
But truly,some thai/viet rice was not make full for long time
>>
>>7390934
>mixed with other grains to feed pigs and chickens

lmao, makes sense that Americans like their own. fucking pigs
>>
File: 1429583973_rice.jpg (56 KB, 630x400) Image search: [Google]
1429583973_rice.jpg
56 KB, 630x400
What do you put in your rice to kinda make it less plain? I like eating a lot of rice but plain gets boring really quickly. I usually make some teryiaki and dip the rice in that.

I know some people put some veggies in to cook with it, any suggestions?
>>
Thai rice is actually the best and most widely available
>>
>>7397456
broth
>>
>>7397456
I thought this was the grossest thing til I tried it:

My GF cooks an egg over-easy or sunny side up, puts it on rice and pours a little soy sauce over it. She then chops up the egg and coats the rice with the yolk.

It actually tastes pretty good. I don't do it unless I don't have anything else good in the fridge though.

Also there's chinese stuff called char siu that flavors your rice if you pan fry your rice with it.
>>
>>7390889
>authentic
Time to grow up, kiddo.
>>
>>7397456
furikake
>>
>>7397456
I eat my rice with a few splashes of fish sauce. You can never go wrong.
>>
>>7394748
says you pendejo
>>
>>7390889

Tamanishiki
Tamaki

pick one, they're both good and only mildly pricy
>>
Ways to cook rice I've deployed recently :

>cook it in broth
>flavour it with olive oil and soy sauce
>fry garlic and onion the add the rice
>one egg splashed in there
>cook random vegetables and serve on the side.
>>
>>7397576
Oh ye, I forget sweet rice. Apricot jam, tahini, peanut butter, normal butter, brown sugar, maple syroup, cinnamon, chocolate whey proteions.. Endless possibilities!
>>
>>7397520
Says anyone that has had real Japanese food
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.