[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shun blue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: shun-blue-10-inch-kiritsuke-3.jpg (73 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
shun-blue-10-inch-kiritsuke-3.jpg
73 KB, 1200x1200
Why Do they call it blue steel /ck/? I love Shun, used a classic 10" for the better part of 3 years and I splurged on a Kiritsuke (recommended for home use, not commercial; unless you're rich).
>>
>>7389412
Blue steel refers to the tempering temperature and color of the steel while being tempered.
>>
>>7389412
That knife looks like it's marketed exclusively to weeaboos.
>>
File: ku-medium.jpg (40 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
ku-medium.jpg
40 KB, 320x240
>mfw
>>
Because a famous metallurgist named Dr. Ing. Iwasaki Kamisori OBE once determined that the hagane that came in the blue kami had different properties than the hagane that came in the white kami, and from that day, national living treasure swordsmiths would recommend to the hagane factory to produce the hagane that comes in this or that color kami, depending on what variety of hochou they wanted to forge that day.

Shun is not a very good brand because it is sold in Williams-Sonoma, which is insufficiently authentic. You should purchase all of your hochou at Korin instead. It's a little hole in the wall, very authentic, and I assure you, you have never heard of it.

Especially not you.
>>
>>7389421
Not a weaboo at all and I think it looks badass.
>>
>>7389412

It was endorsed by Derek Zoolander
>>
>>7389417
Blue steel is a type of carbon steel, has nothing to do with the tempering. Iirc blue and white get the name from the paper or some shit they come in before being made into knives.
>>
>>7389431

>You should purchase all of your hochou at Korin instead. It's a little hole in the wall, very authentic, and I assure you, you have never heard of it.

Fucking shitposters, I swear.
>>
>>7389504
It has everything to do with the tempering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy)#Tempering_colors
>>
>>7389513
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/blue2steel.html
>>
>>7389412
>high quality knives
>for home use, not commercial
Dude what? Commercial is where a great knife makes the most sense. If you're going to be using something 16 hours a day, day after day, it's really worth getting something great. At home I don't care as much, I'm just not doing the same volume or the same speed.
>>
>>7389417
>>7389513
>implying steel used to forge knives come already tempered
>implying kitchen knives tempered at that temperature wouldn't be uselessly soft
>implying you have any what you're talking about
>>
>>7389504
Right.

>>7389431
>>7389417
>>7389513
[spoiler]lol[/spoiler]
>>
>>7389412
Marketing crap from the sneak attack Japs.
>>
>>7390273
nice spoiler attempt
or not
>>
>>7389715
This is true but my shun classic is what I'd use in the kitchen. This is just a showy knife.
>>
>>7389715
a good sharp knife is fun to use. feels good in the hand. I enjoy my cooking experience more when handlign a high quality knife although no need to go crazy. My chef friend gifted me a cool knife and i really enjoy using it!
>>
1) Shun knives are massively overpriced for what you get.

2) The steels are called "white" or "blue" based on the colour of paper the ingots come wrapped in from Hitachi Metals

3) You will see larger benefits from investing in waterstones and developing the skills to use them than from buying very expensive knives.

4) The quality of heat treat, geometry, and ergonomics matter much more than steel choice except in outlier cases.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.