[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All right time to fucking settle this What's the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: Philly-Cheese-Steak-Sandwiches.jpg (66 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
Philly-Cheese-Steak-Sandwiches.jpg
66 KB, 700x467
All right time to fucking settle this

What's the best way to make a philly cheese steak what's the best condiments other assorted crappie to put on it
>>
Throw sreakums on a sub bun
Add hot cheese wiz
Thats how they do it in Philly
>>
>>7389357
>assorted crappie
I've never had crappie on a philly cheese steak.

But one of the best phillys I've had was: steak, provolone, grilled onions and peppers (sweet and bell), lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on white bread. It was from a hole in the wall convenience store.
>>
Thin sliced ribeye, provolone, fried onions, crusty italian rolls.

Peppers/mushrooms are optional. Not really "authentic" depending on who you ask, but still good.
>>
>>7389372
All I look for in a good philly is the steak, provolone, and grilled onions and peppers. That's all you need desu
>>
Whenever I go to Jersey Mikes, Penn Station, etc I get a Philly with Provalone, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, lettuce, and mayo.
>>
>>7389378
For me that's the basics of a philly. Like the bare minimum requirements.
>>
>>7389364
but bruh, he's looking for the best, not the most authentic
>>
>>7389405
But arent best and authentic synonyms on this board?
>>
There is no such thing as a good philly cheese steak.
>>
>>7389411
Faggot.
>>
>>7389409
so what if they are, remember this is also the board that reccomends boiling your mushrooms before cooking to sterilize theme
>>
>>7389409
Hey, what's up Irish Stew Guy?
>>
>>7389433
up is a directional imperative, inversely defined by gravity
>>
>>7389405
I think whiz works better in the cheesesteak context than provolone.
>>
use sodium citrate with sharp cheddar cheese as the sauce. perfect consistency for these
>>
Mustard
Hot sauce
Mayo
American cheese

Das it mang
>>
>>7389446
I just don't care for the taste of canned cheese
>>
>>7389357
Thin sliced steak
onions-caramelized, yellow
provolone (white american if you're okay with trash food)
amoroso/italian roll

no peppers
no wiz
no anything else
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 770x682) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 770x682
lets quit lying to ourselves. best sandwich is italian beef from Chicago, STFU!!!!
>>
File: 1448686960018.gif (4 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1448686960018.gif
4 MB, 640x360
>>7389454
I bet you prefer dick cheese, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>7389465
um I think you mean fromunda cheese bruh
>>
File: cake.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
cake.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Anything wrong with substituting mushrooms for peppers? I get made fun of for that.

My coworker puts ketchup on hotdogs and philly cheese steaks. I give him a really hard time about those two things and this is the birthday cake my employer gave me a few years ago.
>>
>>7389474
nothing "wrong" with it but at that point it's not really a cheesesteak
>>
>>7389474
Substituting mushrooms for peppers is about as wrong as having peppers on there at all, so I think you should go for it.
>>
>>7389357
If you 'ese 'eak isn't cheese wiz with caramelized onions, it's wrong.
>>
>>7389531
>'ese 'eak
>trying to force a meme this hard

Just stop.
>>
>>7389531
>'ese 'eak
Did you just have a stroke?
>>
>>7389456
>>7389446
>>7389409

Did you know the original cheesesteak cheese was Velveeta?
>>
I've really been getting into making them now, i don't really know if they are legit but they are good as fuck.
>Sub bun
>Flank steak cut thin
>onion
>Salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder
>Medium cheddar
>Cholula
Shits cash
>>
>>7389461
Basically. I'm not even from Chicago. Philly cheese steak is tasty but its pretty pleb tier.
>>
>>7389357
provolone and onions (banana peeper is good to)

Nothing else should be used
>>
>>7389364
That's why it is disgusting
>>
When I do my cheese steak I like to make a cheese sauce that has both provolone and cheddar. I think it makes it even better
>>
File: DSC04479-937x622.jpg (132 KB, 937x622) Image search: [Google]
DSC04479-937x622.jpg
132 KB, 937x622
Why do so many people outside of Philly think that green bell pepper belongs on a cheesesteak? I'm very curious as to how this originated.

I've never made a cheesesteak at home, but the best condiment for a cheesesteak is pepper relish.
>>
>>7391388
bell peppers are just filler that is thrown on anything. It never actually improves anything, just adds some color and makes it look like more effort was put in

Whether it is cheesesteaks, pizza, burritos, omelets, other sandwiches, whatever, bell peppers are just for show

banana peppers on the other hand are delicious and are great on sandwiches and pizza
>>
>>7391388
>pepper relish.
Need to be more specific on this.
"Pepper relish" in sub shops here is usually just diced cherry peppers, but there are also plenty of sweet pepper relishes out there.

I've only ever had phillys with peppers and onions on them and I like them plenty. I'm not likely traveling to philly to get an "authentic" one either.
>>
If I'm feeling fancy, I'll add a little au jus to the pan and cover the steak for a couple seconds, just to add a bit of flavor.

Then its:
Roll
Steak
Provolone
Grilled onions

Add pepper or mushrooms. Don't fucking put lettuce and tomato like some pleb hoagie.
>>
>>7389465

Legendary gif. That asshole was my favorite player in college. I got smashed at a wedding the night this gif occurred
>>
Onions, peppers, mishrooms, banana peppers, jalapeƱos and extra provolone
>>
>>7389461
Live in SF Bay. Was a Chicago native in my home town who had a tiny restaurant that only served these +\- Italian sausage. There was always a line going out the door. So fucking good. Thank you, Chicago.
>>
>>7389461
I lived in Philly for 4 years for college. I'm now in Chicago for grad school. Italian beef is definitely inferior to a cheesesteak.
>>
>>7391710

Diced cherry peppers. When you go into a cheesesteak shop and go to the pepper bar, that is the kind of pepper relish they provide.
>>
Philly here. Order "wiz wit" which comes with cheese wiz and fried onions. Thats it. Some people use ketchup but I don't mess with that.
>>
>>7391831
>Ordering wiz

You're not from Philly, you're a tourist from Delaware.
>>
>>7391834
Nah senpai. Wiz wit from Jim's is 10/10 forever.
>>
>>7391842
No you get provolone from Jims, or even better from Chink's
>>
>>7391859
>not based Chubby's or Dalessandro's

But yeah, fuck wiz.
>>
Onions, peppers, provolone and Steak meat.

Have to have mayonnaise. Lettuce and tomatoes are a plus but not a must.
>>
>>7391414
Wrong as fuck. They have a distinct taste and go great with onions like a 1,2 punch
>>
>>7391722
GO TO HELL OLE MISS
>>
>>7391924
Neither of those places is as good as Jim's or Chink's
>>
>>7389357
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBHkQoWC8Q
>>
>>7389465
lol at the black guy smiling
>>
>>7391766

Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread
>>
>>7389357
ONE
WHIZ
WIT

(Cheese Wiz and Onions/Bell Peppers)

That is all
>>
File: 12koolaid123.jpg (33 KB, 406x397) Image search: [Google]
12koolaid123.jpg
33 KB, 406x397
>>7392881

correcto mundo
>>
>>7392453

Everything I type is a contribution to this site
>>
When I make them at home it's just super thinly sliced beef (cut varies based on what looks good at the butcher, try to just go for leanness), fry up some onions, and just salt and pepper and flash cook the beef. Mix all that together then add provolone cheese usually but lots of times I just go without the cheese since I really don't eat cheese except for cheese steaks and I hate to let it go to waste. Make sure to pull out some of the inner bread filling from the roll. Banana peppers on top after assembly. Steak sandwiches are kind of a meme food so I hate to put in any more effort than is needed, as far as like cooking peppers and mushrooms.

When I go to a restaurant I do it equally plain but I will add mushrooms at some hole in the wall places where they actually prep them well. Jim's always has rubbery mushrooms because the cook them ahead of time and just let them sit.

I miss living in Philly. Cheese steaks always make me feel like I could have just grilled the steak by itself and gotten a way better meal out of it. But going to a steak place was awesome convenience food if I wasn't in the mood for cooking anything.
>>
>grilled steak
>grilled onions
>melted white american cheese
>on a toasted sub roll

That's it. Anyone who puts peppers on a philly should be shot.
>>
>>7393888
lmfao ok geno keep running your second rate tourist trap while we make our steak sandwiches actually good.
>>
>>7389357
Italian beef>Philly cheesesteak

Although, if you're doing cheesesteak, onions and cheez whiz. Italian beef is peppercorn jack and a shitload of marconi hot gardineria
>>
>>7394840
pork is long hots and brocolli rabe you heretic
>>
grew up in philly and tried like 100 varieties of philly cheese steak the best ive ever had was from a restaurant near fort dix in jersey
>>
Merican cheese
Fried onions
Black pepper
Wet hots
>>
>>7391124
Again, he said best, not authentic
The velveeta thing is the only reason people still use wiz, but it's only a gimmick
>>
Recently moved to Philly from the Midwest. Back home, they were always marketed with green peppers, onions, and provolone. Get here, cheese whiz, American, often times no peppers.

When I order them I always just go with green peppers, onions, provolone, Mayo, spicy mustard.
>>
File: PhillyCheeseSteak[1].jpg (781 KB, 1376x456) Image search: [Google]
PhillyCheeseSteak[1].jpg
781 KB, 1376x456
Cheesesteak hoagie with hot peppers
>>
File: 1444771297838.jpg (127 KB, 605x615) Image search: [Google]
1444771297838.jpg
127 KB, 605x615
>>7391414
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.