[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vegetables
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: recommended-vegetable-list-fb.jpg (40 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
recommended-vegetable-list-fb.jpg
40 KB, 1200x630
Britfag here, in need of more vegetables In my diet.

In britain we just throw vegs in a pot, add water, boil, then its fucking done. And that my friends, is absolutely fucking shit.

Suggestions on how to cook or serve vegetables?
>>
>>7388771
>In britain
speak for yourself m80pt80
>>
>>7388771
Depends on the vegetable, but some of my favorites are:

-root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and parsnips are great roasted in a hot oven

-smallish vegetables like corn kernels, peas, and green beans are great when briefly blanched, then stir-fried with a little miso paste.

-squash and eggplant are fantastic fried
>>
>>7388771
Roast, stew, stir fry, deep fry (followed by stir fry). Also make vegetable soup.
>>
sautee/stir fry is fine. get some soy sauce, add garlic, add a little sugar or maybe honey, and bam, you have a good stir fry sauce. cook the meat seperately and cook it on low heat. combine the sauce with veggies, thicken with flour or corn starch is necessary, or just put sauce in earlier so it cooks down.

then combine meat
>>
>>7388819
forgot ginger, the spice ginger is also good with stir fry sauces
>>
Scotland here, had a mostly alright but really low vegetable diet with lots of carbs.
Since joined a gym and switched to more of a keto diet (high protein, high veg, low carb)

Tips:
>This single page has been my saviour, and I make sure I always have a couple of these every day, but cycle through them all so I'm getting everything my body needs: http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
>Stir fries make lots of veggies easy and quick. Adding mushrooms/chicken/noodles/whatever helps you vary shit up.
>Soya sauce + Brown sugar + garlic + Lime/Rice Vinegar = Ridiculously tasty chinese sauce that works with 80% of veggies
>Learn how to make mirepoix. This will mean you can make a mean veggie stock and/or flavour lots of other dishes with veg.
>Tomatos in the UK are fucking awful. You need to pay more or pick carefully. I buy vine-ripened little guys from the supermarkets which are around £2.50/kg I think? and very worth it. Salad tomatos in the UK are basically completely worthless and tasteless.
>Learn to make veg soups like leek & potato, cream of tomato, sweet potato & lentil, minestrone, etc.
>Brown rice/lentils are really cheap, really healthy and you can stick countless veg in there with them
>Learn to make coleslaw and other veg slaws. I still fucking hate salads, but I'll eat a bowl of slaw with some peanuts or something, easily.

Increasing the percentage of my diet which is veg has increased the amount of matter I eat per day but vastly reduced my calories while increasing the nutrients and minerals, and I love them now too.

Before this I ate maybe 1-2 veg per day and had a fairly shit diet. It's amazing how much enjoying veggies changes the way you eat, not to mention your health.

Rock on
>>
S A U T E E
A
U
T
E
E

Also soups and veggie stews on winter, there's actually a huge amount of surprisingly good soups with all kinds of veggies.
>>
>>7388853
Agree on tomatoes
You have to pay good money for good tomatoes here
>>
>>7388771

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Halve you brussels sprouts, or quarter them if large enough. Blanch them by immersing them in a pot of salted boiling water. When their green colour brightens, remove them and shock them by immersing in ice water to stop the cooking process.

In a separate pan, render off some chopped bacon. You can use side/streaky bacon or pancetta depending on your preference. The bacon would be cooked through, but not quite crispy. Add brussels sprouts, tossing them in the bacon fat. Deglaze with your favourite white wine. Season to taste with salt and coarsely ground black pepper.

Optionally, you can add some toasted almonds slivers while the bacon is rendering.

My personal preference for wine in this dish is to use off-dry aromatic whites like gewürztraminer, riesling, semillion, vidal, or muscat. But as I said, use YOUR favourite white wine.
>>
Make some ratatouille.

Fucking so delicious you would swear it's not vegetables.
>>
get a cast iron frying plan and cook your vegetables on highish even heat so they kind of brown on the outside and are crisp on the inside

salt and enjoy

also don't put all your veggies in the pan at the same time, cook them in order of what takes the longest to cook
>>
>>7388771
Grilled zucchini ( coat with OO) salt, pepper, grill em up.

Spring mix greens with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette topped with grilled or baked chicken is wonderful. I eat a huge bowl of these greens everyday and make vinaigrette about 2x week.
>>
>>7388771
>In britain...
No, that is how they're cooked in your backwards shack at the arse end of nowhere. The rest of us steam, stir-fry, grill, bake, roast, saute and very, very occasionally boil our delicious home-grown veggies. You twat.
>>
>>7389106
>ratatouille
which ingredients do you use? what kind of peppers?
>>
Roasted Vegetables (the basics)

Ingredients
Fresh vegetables
Oil (vegetable or olive)
Garlic, minced (optional)
Spices/Herbs: salt, pepper, thyme, crushed red pepper, rosemary, oregano, sage (optional)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Cut vegetables into approximately equal-sized pieces—enough to fill a sheet pan without overcrowding the pan.
3) Brush/spray/toss in oil.
4) Optional: toss in minced garlic and/or spices/herbs.
5) Cook according to the directions below, tossing/stirring vegetables at least once during cooking:

Vegetable Roasting Time (approximate)
Carrots / Parsnips / Potatoes / Sweet potatoes 40-45 min
Onions / Fennel / Brussels sprouts / Beets 30-40 min
Broccoli / Cauliflower 20-30 min
Zucchini / Yellow Squash / Eggplant / Bell Peppers / Asparagus 10-15 min
>>
>>7389217
what if... i... i dont own an oven?
>>
>>7389217
nice, i always liked roasted veggies. simple yet delicious
>>
>>7389231
then follow some of the other suggestions in the thread. roasting is my preferred method but stirfrys are also solid, as is grilling (if you have access to a grill...)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.