[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canning/Jarring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: tushonka.jpg (193 KB, 1188x891) Image search: [Google]
tushonka.jpg
193 KB, 1188x891
Who here has canned/jarred their own stuff? I'm just getting into it and I'm loving the results.
Pic related is some tushonka I made tonight, it's basically slow cooked chuck eye with onions, garlic and spices packed into sterilized jars pipping hot.
Anyone else have cool suggestions for canned shit? I was thinking of trying roasted, seasoned potatoes, maybe the smaller fingerling ones.
>>
>>7388581
The canning community it notoriously overcautious and vindictive
>>
>>7388586
What the fuck are you talking about?!?!

Op I do a lot of canning. Mostly I make jam/jelly, preserved fruit, pie filling, salsa and stock/broth.
>>
>>7388581
Also, why are your jars upside down?
>>
>>7388581
Ok, silly question here. but are you pressure canning that?

>>7388586
We're cautious because botulism is a real and deadly thing.
>>
>>7388581
I can soup and souce for lazydays. And salads and pickled cucamber when the price of veggies is low.
>>
>>7388827
You can't can salad.
>>
>>7388865
Cole slaw is considered a salad. Basically you can can anything with a high acid, salt or sugar content.
>>
>>7388822

That's a pretty typical thing to do. By flipping the jars upside down the hot food sits against the lid of the jar. That heat helps to soften the sealing material on the lid, making sure you get a good seal.

It's also a great way to identify fuckups. If the jars leak when flipped upside down, throw out the contents!
>>
>>7388879

You can can pretty much anything regardless of it's acidity or salt content. The only difference is the technique required.

If the food is not acidic then you need to use a pressure canner. Simple as that.
>>
>>7388908
Yeah. i just assume most people on this board don't have a pressure canner.
>>
>>7388865
>4kg of sliced cucecamber
>1kg of chopped onions
>1kg of grated carrots
>handful of salt
>250ml of oil
>2 spoons of vineger (30%)
Mix and let it set for 24h. Then raise to boil in the same pot. But in jars. Let it sit in the jars for a week or two before eating. I fucking love it. Try it. Easy,cheap and good.
>>
>>7388990
Reminds me a lot of Chow Chow. Which is basically, take any garden veggies you can't use up, chop them up, add salt , vinegar, and cayenne powder. Can. let sit. eat all winter.
>>
>>7388908
>>7388879
No, you can't can "basically everything".
>http://www.sbcanning.com/2011/11/what-food-and-ingredients-cant-be.html?m=1

>>7388882
That is NOT how to safely can anything. The lids should be hot before placing them on the jars. The jars should be upright and untouched for 24 hours.
>>
>>7389049
I do the 'upsidedown' thing with no preheating and I rarely get a bad patch.
>>
I have souce I want to can but it needs flour to be 'fattened'. What else can I use to 'fatten' the souce?
>>
>>7389049
That link
Avoid
>Sauerkraut
>avoid high fat meat
>barley
I have recipe that is only thouse 3 things and half year in a jar is not a problem.
>>
>>7389099
>>7389065
That doesn't make it safe.
>>
File: 20160204_213729.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160204_213729.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7388581
are you pressure canning? i don't think you you are because you don't need to sterilize or hot pack if you're pressure canning

if you want to stay alive i seriously recommend reading at least the basics on canning because your jars shouldn't be upside down on the ball or bernardin canning supply websites
>>
>>7389111
Upside downis old school open kettle techniques and I am willing to give it a pass. Can work great for jams/chutneys in my experience.

Open kettle (no water bath process) for something with neat that should be processed in a pressure canner? Hell no.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.