[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ketogenic Diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: ChickenRoulade.jpg (204 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
ChickenRoulade.jpg
204 KB, 900x600
Anyone /keto/ here? I'm in the process of getting rid of all the carbs in my pantry. Share ideas and recipes pls.
>>
Semen, lots and lots of semen.
>>
>>7387924
>getting rid of all the carbs
do you even know how to eat or do you just do what the fad magazines tell you to do?
>>
>>7387946
Not him, but I'm doing a quick cut and keto is a great and faster way to do it without losing too much muscle. Stop assuming everyone is a meme and does meme stuff.
>>
>>7388009
>everything you just said was a meme
>>
>>7388009
that is meme stuff though. just because you corroborated OP doesnt make it less meme.
>>
>>7388009
When everything is a meme, then everyone is a meme and does meme stuff.
>>
>>7388009
high protein, insulin and leptin are much more important for muscle preservation, things you don't get on keto

keto is good for fat fucks who can't do portion control or count calories because fat tends to be very satiating and you naturally eat at a deficit
>>
>>7388032
>you don't get high protein on keto
what in the fuck kind of keto diet are you thinking of? meats, dairy and eggs are huge sources of protein and will be like 60% of a standard keto diet.

>average day on keto
2 eggs, spinach, mushroom, bacon, hot sauce
chicken, no/zero carb wrap, kale, carrot, avocado, spicy mustard
tuna, mayo, 1-carb crackers, pesto
bunless bacon cheeseburger with lettuce or spinach, mayo and mustard

that's like 15 carbs and about 130g of protein. if you're trying to gain weight, randomly snack on another chicken breast with hot sauce or some other zero carb condiment.
>>
>>7388109
the amount of protein you get on keto is purposefully limited, bro. too much will supply anaplerotic fuel, revving up the citric acid cycle and gluconeogenesis, knocking you out of ketosis

here's an example of a true muscle sparing diet on a modest deficit

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339.abstract

2.4 g/kg protein a day

good luck staying in ketosis with that, and good luck doing any sort of meaningful workout without carbs to fuel it

if you want an even more severe deficit, PSMF blows keto out of the water any day
>>
>>7388109
>this
I cant wait to see what your labs look like from your doctors office....BTW enjoy your gout you shitard
>>
>>7388009
OP is a fag, naturally, but so are you
>>
i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year.

a keto diet was tremendous help. it immediately brought my blood sugar back to normal and alleviated all my symptoms.
>>
File: lolgirls.png (376 KB, 435x388) Image search: [Google]
lolgirls.png
376 KB, 435x388
>>7388156
that diet showed that the 2.4 had more than the 1.2, not in comparison to what would happen to a keto diet. however that isn't the issue. the issue is
>you don't get high protein on keto
which is bullshit
also unless i'm remembering wrong, PSMF is a close to zero-carb diet with wait for it...

tons of protein.

you also need a really large amount of high protein without a lot of fat to get enough glucose to knock you out of ketosis. you have to basically try purposefully to do that.

>>7388164
>he thinks gout comes from purines
>pic related
>>
>>7388221
...wut?
50g carbs will/can knock you out if done over a...

shit
>>7388156
that's not a keto diet.. at all.
>>
>>7388221
>that diet showed that the 2.4 had more than the 1.2, not in comparison to what would happen to a keto diet.
looks like you only skimmed at the abstract and the results of their intervention, try to read the paper and look at some of the other studies cited. seems like the best amount of protein according to the data we have for lbm preservation is 0.4g/kg every 3-4 hours = 2.4g/kg a day

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2015.00245/full

>also unless i'm remembering wrong, PSMF is a close to zero-carb diet with wait for it...
>tons of protein.
yea, and no % calories from fat, which means more protein and muscle anabolism than keto by default

>you also need a really large amount of high protein without a lot of fat to get enough glucose to knock you out of ketosis. you have to basically try purposefully to do that.
evidence? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet#Variants seems to cap protein at 20-25% of calories, far the optimal 35% on a deficit
>>
Nutrition science drives me crazy. Everyone claims they have the right solution and no one admits that it's not a 100% accurate science.

Everyone's body is different. Everyone's workload is different. Everyone's daily activities are different. Everyone's climate is different. Everyone's mental state is different. Everyone's lifestyle is different. So on and so on...

Nutrition nerds speak as though there is an indisputable and authentic basis for their claims but the truth is that nothing is authoritative. A diet like this might work amazingly well for some, and be ineffective for others. Your body is a colony of innumerable bacteria and incalculable systems, and humans are arrogant enough to think that we can narrow down things into nice little numbered packages and ensure them in terms of effectiveness. Why is it that no one can agree on what is a perfect diet, if things can be reduced to simple numbers?

I only complain about this because literally anytime someone starts a thread about a type of diet, people rain in and shit on their idea rather than suggest something helpful or just fuck off.

It's a "science", not a fucking universal truth.

I'm cool with diets but this " objective" viewpoint is a fallacy, the truth is that everyone's body is different.

TL;Dr quit being faggots and help this guy or don't post
>>
>>7388334
>muh relativism

You sound pseudo-intellectual as fuck and clearly have no education extending beyond high school if you think your philosophy 101 tier platitudes are deep and insightful.

First post ITT btw.
>>
Bake a chicken breast at 400 for 30 min with this topping
>3 parts mayo
>1 part spices
>1 part cheese
>>
>>7387924

I did strict keto for a year in order to beat esophageal cancer. Here's what a I learned. I am also an athlete with very little body fat, so your mileage may vary.

>The first two weeks are the worst.
I went through an adaptation phase on this diet that was not pleasant. After a week of eating almost no carbohydrates whatsoever, I felt physically sluggish and mentally slow. These issues subsided in a fortnight, and I eventually perked back up.

>I could not gain weight to save my life.
While doing keto, I stuck to my regular training schedule. With no carbs to burn during my workouts, I shed every last ounce of fat on my body. I looked like I was ready to be on a magazine cover, but I had to consume lots of fats to keep from burning out on training days.

>I got extremely bored.
I only ate meat, nuts, eggs, avocados, cheese, butter, fatty oils, and an occasional helping of dairy while on keto. This got boring after a while, but I was never hungry because of the fat content in my meals. There were times when I really wanted a burrito.

>It stopped my GERD for a while.
I had been tested for candida and H. pylori, and my results were always negative, but I still had GERD. For whatever reason, keto went a long way to alleviate my symptoms. It also dropped my systolic blood pressure by 15 points.

>Cheating made me physically ill.
After six months of being relatively symptom-free, I tried to incorporate one cheat day every two weeks or so. As soon as I tried to eat carbs again, I felt like I had been run over by a truck. My symptoms also came back, so I eventually swore off cheating altogether.

>My testosterone went through the roof.
There was something about eating meat and nuts all the time that made me feel virile and aggressive. I would get aroused all the time. This was the most enjoyable side effect of keto, and I felt great because of it.

That's it.
>>
>>7388334
Ketogenesis is as close to a universal health effect of certain diets as can be possible. It's a natural reaction of your body responding to the stuff you are or are not putting in your body.
>>
>>7388359
You said it better than I could have myself
>>
Started doing keto 4 days ago, here's a chicken recipe, although I'm unsure whether the protein to fat ratio is optimal:

Cut chicken breast into pieces and marinate in harissa, olive oil, garlic, lemon and a little water.
Fry some bacon, remove bacon from pan and add chicken. When the chicken looks ready, add back bacon, add half a can of coconut milk, and add leaf spinach, and some more harissa.

Served with cauliflower rice, which is just grated cauliflower, which I boiled in water for like a minute.
>>
>>7388164
>I cant wait to see what your labs look like from your doctors office
I've done keto for extended periods of time twice and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels always come back resoundingly average.
>>
>>7388109
Except if you eat less than one carrot, there's no way that amounts to only 15g of carbs.
Just 2 medium carrots contain about 12g
>>
>>7387924
You should ease into no sugar and low carbs over the span of a week. Otherwise you can crash too hard.
>>
>>7388109
>root veg
>keto
ya dun goofed
>>
>>7389140
What's you're sleep like?
During ketosis I was constantly waking up at around 5 - 5:30 AM and just couldn't get back to sleep.
I was also having very vivid dreams, but that's not unusual for me, they were just.. more vivid, and every night.
I just go to exhausted after a month or so and reintroduced some carbs
>>
>>7388379
>baking mayo
>mayo and cheese
Jesus fuck that's bad
>>
File: 1455357978371.jpg (961 KB, 810x8815) Image search: [Google]
1455357978371.jpg
961 KB, 810x8815
>>7389140
>esophageal cancer
How did it help with your caner?
>>
File: 1455295769028.jpg (108 KB, 714x820) Image search: [Google]
1455295769028.jpg
108 KB, 714x820
Any of you guys have preferred ways to increase your fat intake? I'm having trouble getting more fat than protein. Also, do fish oil supplements exist -without- carbs? The stuff I saw at costco had 1g carbs per capsule. Only wondering, because between green stuff and fiber supplements I'm easily getting around 10-15g soluble carbs and I'd like to leave more room for additional green stuff.
>>
I've cut on keto twice before. It's honestly not too bad, but the shits can be unpleasant if you don't keep up your fiber. For some reason, keto made long runs a lot easier.

Here was my favorite keto "cheat" meal:
>chop up some peppers of choice
>fry up 16oz of hamburger with peppers
>drain and put in dog dish (like the fucking animal you are)
>shred cheddar cheese over burger pile
>add reduced sugar ketchup
>put bowl on the floor
>eat
>cry
>>
>>7387924
I underdstand that cutting out refined carbs is a good way to just get in the habit of eating healthier in general by replacing your pasta and bread with more nutritionally dense foods like vegetables. But what other benefits does that have
>>
>>7390205

I don't think soluble fiber affects ketosis. If that's what you're looking for anyway.
>>
>>7390253
It's a meme, mainly centred around dietary fat's ability to satiate you more than carbs. I personally don't like it, we are designed to use carbs as a primary energy source
>>
>>7389540

My sleep wasn't affected by keto. I always try to go to bed at a reasonable hour so I can wake up early and train. My average amount of sleep per night is between 8 and 9 hours.

>>7390030

Medical studies suggest that symptoms associated with GERD and LPR may be induced and exacerbated by the consumption of carbohydrates. I got tired of the sensation of bile in my throat and my doctors having no idea what to do with me, so I decided to replicate some of those medical studies by going on a keto diet. The results I got were favorable: no acid reflux, almost no regurgitation, and a voice that gradually returned to normal.
>>
>>7390244
This sounds like my keto diet

1. four pounds of hamburger, 80/20
2. four pounds of peas, frozen
3. throw both in pot with two cups of water
4. Cook until the hamburger won't kill you
5. add flavor of some kind
6. Maybe throw in an egg or something

I call it bachelor chow. I'm still eating it at 28 years old.
>>
>>7390288
>boiled hamburger and peas

That sounds terrible.
>>
>>7389140
if you want a burrito on keto get a package of flax tortillas and make one, also you got more testosterone on keto as dietary fat and cholesterol is a must for proper hormone regulation
>>
>>7390277
Weird, I had GERD and cut down on fats and all of the problems went away.
>>
>>7390030
>That thread
Every god damn time. Im going to take a shower and go to church. The only reasonable course of action is to burn it all to the ground and shoot that degenerate
>>
>>7390465

You probably had a mild case of acid reflux and not actual GERD. GERD is a life-changing condition. Have a look at one of the studies for more information.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16871438

I've tried every diet under the sun -- yes, every single one -- in order to beat GERD and LPR. Keto is the only one that helped. High-carb almost killed me.
>>
>>7390306
>>7390288
also not keto, peas are full of carbs
>>
File: 1455600074268.jpg (95 KB, 424x662) Image search: [Google]
1455600074268.jpg
95 KB, 424x662
>>7390271
I thought it was the insoluble ones that don't affect it.
>>
>>7390457

>if you want a burrito on keto get a package of flax tortillas and make one

It's not the same. I know what real Mexican food tastes like, so I don't even bother with trying to recreate it. I can't eat tortillas, either, no matter how carb-free they claim to be.
>>
>>7390649
you can get low-carb tortillas, around 6g net carbs per

I take bites out of one when I make fajita innards
>>
Been on keto since June. I lost 20lbs in about 2.5 months and since then (September) I've been struggling to lose any more. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm not cheating, I'm not eating too many calories, I exercise. Something is fucked up.
>>
I have been doing keto for months now. I lots a ton of weight and felt quite good, but I when I got blood work done, I was deficient in so much shit that my doctor told me to "stop my stupid fad diet." I feel fine tho so w/e.
>>
>>7390682

Incorporate a cheat day once a week and start doing HIIT.

Long-term keto slows down your metabolism considerably, which lowers your basal metabolic rate.

One cheat day a week will jack your metabolism back up, and HIIT will help your body tap into your last bits of subcutaneous fat for energy.

If you aren't working out in the mornings before breakfast, start doing that, too.

All of these things will help you get past this plateau.
>>
>>7390688
>thisisbait.jpg
>>
>>7390272
>carbs as a primary energy source
Lies and bullshit

I'm not a ketofag but it is obvious that the human body has evolved for diets where most calories come from fat with limited carb.

This is the most stable energy source, it is the most promising for longevity. It is also very nearly the only diet possible before roots and grains cultivated.

Stop shitting out your mouth
>>
>>7388022
Dubs don't lie, folks
>>
>>7390688
seems like bait. kill yourself anyways faggot
>>
File: wellmemed.jpg (234 KB, 700x546) Image search: [Google]
wellmemed.jpg
234 KB, 700x546
>>7388009
>this post
>>
>>7388009

I frequently tell anons to stop calling everything a meme, but this is literally a meme diet.
>>
>>7392118
Nope.
>>
File: fef[3].png (294 KB, 537x385) Image search: [Google]
fef[3].png
294 KB, 537x385
>>7392118
>it's a meme because I said so
>>
File: citation needed.png (35 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
citation needed.png
35 KB, 500x271
>>7389469
why in the world would you be having even a whole carrot in a wrap, much less two?
>>7391131
pic related
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.