[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone make sashimi and sushi out of Costco salmon fillets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_7864[1].jpg (120 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7864[1].jpg
120 KB, 320x240
Anyone make sashimi and sushi out of Costco salmon fillets?

Got tired of paying $6 for a tiny sliver of salmon. Last night I sliced up a fresh fillet into sashimi and ate it with a side of rice. There was way too much fish for myself so I'm going to cook the rest tonight (not going to eat day old sashimi).
>>
>>7386634
No, most of Costco's salmon is farm raised shit. I like Costco but their fish selection sucks. Unless it's fresh, wild fish I wouldn't do it.
>>
>>7386634
pray to god that was previously frozen wild alaskan salmon.

even then, it's not sushi grade fish.

you may be dead even before reading this warning
>>
>>7386649

Or have stomach cramps.
>>
File: stomach-worms-raw-fish-calgary.jpg (93 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
stomach-worms-raw-fish-calgary.jpg
93 KB, 780x439
>>7386634
Hope you purchased previously frozen salmon.
>>
>>7386634
Dude, i’m gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks fcking pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I’m being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. you’re a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. gert areal family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont eever potst your fuking poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro, fuking phaggot.
>>
>>7386660
Weak attempt at memeing
>>
>>7386649
>>7386659
It's kirkland brand costco grade.

They're all flash frozen to be fresh which kills parasites.
>>
>>7386683
What the fuck did you just fucking say about my memeing, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Culinary Institute of America, and I've been involved in numerous iron chef challenges, and I have over 300 confirmed recipes for Creme fraiche. I am trained in Habachi and I'm the top cook at my local Japanese Steak House. You are nothing to me but just a poorly trained cashier. I will feed you with culinary skills the likes of which have never been seen before on this Earth,? mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with serving cold fries to me over at McDonalds? Think again, chef. As we cook, I am contacting my secret network of bakers across the US and your ingredient sources are being traced right now. So you better prepare for the repossesing, maggot. The repossesing that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your kitchen. You're fucking smoked, kid. I can cook anything, anytime and dice you in over 700 ways, and that's just with my spatula. Not only am I extensively trained in ragu alla bolognese, but I have access to the entire spices of the United States Starbucks Corps. And I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable dish of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your extra "spicy" dal makhini was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would've held your fucking spoon. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're wasting the chickpea, you goddamn idiot. I will frost cupcakes all over you, and you will drown in it. You're fucking smoked, kiddo.
>>
>>7386685
> frozen
> fresh
Gordon would like to have a word with you
>>
If you have a good freezer you could do this. You will need to get it down to -4 F for 2 weeks straight. Problem is that most noncommercial freezers don't do this. Most home freezers can get down that low, but won't maintain it and you'll have a 5-10 degree F fluctuation. Even in commercial freezers you have fluctuations, but the sushi freezers are set to accomodate this.

I work as a purchasing supervisor and work very closely with our sushi chef in order to source product and keep appropriate records on all the seafood going through the restaurants. I would not recommend doing this though. This fish is sold at costco for a reason, it is not top quality and is likely from a substandard farm. From a purely food safety perspective you would be putting yourself at risk. How big is that risk? Not huge, but enough to think heavily about it. You will need to handle it carefully.

If you want some good sources of sushi grade fish that will ship to you let me know and I'll give you some links to suppliers I use.
>>
>>7386715
flash freezing keeps the fish fresh while it's being transported to the processing center

otherwise the fish will degrade even in ice

not everyone lives on the coast and go to the catch of the day shoppe
>>
>>7386787
Sushi grade fish is available at the japanese market 10 mins away but it's overpriced too like $8 for a small slab

worst case which is like 0.1%; i take some deworming medicine. I already have it for my dog and it's the same active ingredient as what they give humans. People would be surprised how much cheaper pet meds are and its the same thing under a diff label.
>>
>>7386702
>I will feed you with culinary skills the likes of which have never been seen before on this Earth,?

when the Kitchenaid rolls an imperfect piece of pasta
>>
>>7386823
Okay then. If you are willing to take dog medicine because it has the same active ingredient then by all means, go for it and eat that shit raw.
>>
>>7386823
That seems like a lot of risk just to eat some raw fish.
>>
>>7386860
Won't need to but just saying it is the same (provided you look at all the ingredients), you just adjust for the mg in the pill for an adult
>>
Worms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkeLTIl3oLo

Maybe they'll help you lose weight...
>>
Just the fish guy at Costco if its been flash-frozen and when they get it in. Should be fine as long as long as its been frozen and it hasn't been sitting around too long- make sure to smell it too.

I mean, sushi gets sold at supermarkets and even gas stations all around the country and people rarely get sick - most people in this thread are too cautious.
>>
I've made sashimi out of Costco tuna fillets before, never out of the salmon. Doesn't taste as good as true sushi grade fish but it's half the price. Like the other's have said just make sure it's been frozen and you should be fine.
>>
>>7386823
>>7386869
Don't you think thats sad in any fucking way? As a human you have the ability to make decisions. Dogs eat anything and just deal with the consequences, you are a human, if everyone's telling you this is going to fuck you up then you should really just not do it. Not compromise to do it and then take your dogs medicine.

That's like in cartoons where a character eats shell fish despite the fact that they are deathly allergic just because they have an epi pen
>>
>>7386930
>I mean, sushi gets sold at supermarkets and even gas stations all around the country and people rarely get sick - most people in this thread are too cautious.

This is bait.
>>
>>7386787
I'd actually be interested in the suppliers. I'm not that interested in actually ordering, but I'm more interested in the prices/process of having fish shipped to you. If that makes sense.
>>
>>7386715
Even in the best sushi restaurants in Japan they use flash-frozen fish. There's literally nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>7386951
Flash frozen is flash frozen. doesn't matter.
>>
>>7386958
Sure thing. Mind, these suppliers are US based only.

http://www.trueworldfoods.com/ Our main supplier at work. Very high quality fish, you must buy in bulk. Whole salmon you break down and full tuna loins kind of bulk. We typically pay about $200 for a 18 pound loin. They also have really damn good rice.

http://www.wismettacusa.com/about/ Our secondary supplier. They tend to be more expensive, but have more specialty products. I would recommend their shrimp over True World.

http://catalinaop.com/ Used these guys when I was out in California, but it's been almost 6 years so I can't talk about their current quality.

http://www.sushinut.com/ I have used this one for myself and I like the quality. They're easy to deal with when you're not a restaurant or in my case a hotel. Plus they will adhere to their 100% satisfaction guarantee.
>>
>>7386958
I hit post before I finished...

The process of actually getting fish to you varies a lot based on where the supplier is located. If you have a local supplier and your order is high enough they will typically send one of their own trucks to you. Too low an order or an out of town/don't fall on their route supplier will send via FedEx or UPS. It will come on dry ice and be in appropriate packaging to protect the product and you are typically responsible for shipping costs.

Depending on supplier you may need to set up an account as well where you verify your credit so they know they'll get paid. This is more typical in restaurant settings where you're paying invoices after receiving product rather than a retail arrangement where you're paying up front. As long as you do not misrepresent yourself while ordering/setting up an account you can likely avoid that.
>>
>>7386955

Flash-freezing kills any parasite and their eggs - after that all you have to worry about is bacteria, like any other foodstuff.

Do you think grocery stores would continue to sell sushi if people were getting sick left and right?

I bet you cook your pork to 165F too.
>>
>>7387008
Wow, awesome information thank you so much! Currently in school for operations management, so this kind of stuff interests me a lot.
>>
protip

99% of fish is frozen as soon as it's hauled up onto the boat
>>
>implying that the fish wasnt already a day old (porbably more) when u got it

o-okay OP...
>>
Protip, if you're buying farmed salmon it's almost guaranteed to be a diseased, infected animal.
Farmed salmon are extremely problematic. They're growing pens are literally the perfect vector for disease.
You're eating diseased food.
The government is literally covering it up in BC. MAJOR issues with diseased fish, especially passing it on to wild fish.
If you're eating farmed BC salmon, it's most likely diseased, think Mad Cow disease except for fish.
DO NOT BUY THESE PRODUCTS. FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.
>>
>>7387110
Protip tilapia literally eat feces and millions upon millions of people eat it every day and nothing happens.
>>
>>7387134
Poop isn't Mad Cow disease bro.
These salmon are diseased, it doesn't have anything to do with what they eat, although they are fed weird shit.
These salmon are weird mutated filled with puss, cysts and all kinds of shit, they're inflamed, stressed, and just shit.
There's a reason why farmed and wild salmon look so different.
They're carrying flu type viruses. And more.
So yeah, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>7386715
Theres a difference between putting something in your freezer and flash freezing.
>>
>>7387152
>flash freezing something means it's not frozen
>flash freezing is fresh
>frozen is fresh
Wow nice.
>>
>>7387160
100% stupid
>>
>>7387160
>cryogenically stopped in less than a minute so it stays exactly the same
>not fresh
Some of the best sushi places use flash frozen fish
>>
>>7387168
100% shill.
Are you invested in frozen fish in some way anon? You're sure acting like it.
>>
>>7386715
If you're buying fish for raw consumption that hasn't frozen, the FDA and USDA would like to know where you're getting it. It is illegal for a reason. "Sushi grade" (or any fish intended for raw consumption) fish in the US has to be frozen for at least 20 hours to kill some-long-fucked-up-scientific-name.
>>
>>7387179
100% stupid
>>
>>7386955
Gas station sushi is cheap and delicious. I've never gotten sick, but then again I don't take a Purell bath every day. Stop washing your hands so much and drink some milk, as long as you stay away from bushmeat you'll be fine.
>>
>>7386649
>falling for the "sushi grade" meme
>>
I read farm salmon don't get parasites, I've eaten the regular sushi like in ops pic raw before. Never more than a few ounces though.
>>
Former Costco meatdept guy here. Fish comes in fresh. Not frozen at any point. Enjoy the worms faget
>>
>>7386685
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvop89mqEg
>>
>>7386649
>Sushi grade
>salmon
That's not really a thing, Japan thinks salmon is a disgusting fish. Think some Jews had churn up a marketing machine the likes that created the diamond craze in order to get Japs to eat them.
>>
Sushi is supposed to be made with the absolute freshest fish, me and my dad go to a place where I swear they kill the fish right before serving, it has warm life in the meat and fresh rice. It's all about freshness. If you want to eat costco salmon, bake or grill it in butter and dill or hollandaise sauce.
>>
>>7388008
>it has warm life in the meat
Fish are cold blooded...
>>
>>7388015
Cold blooded just means the blood is roughly the ambient temperature of the environment. So cold blooded animals need to survive in warm climates.

Did you even watch the magic schoolbus
>>
>>7388023
And most commercial fish is caught in deeper waters which are colder as well as being iced down or kept refrigerated until used.

So you're saying the sushi restaurant lets their fish sit around at room temperature before serving it so it's warm? Sounds legit.
>>
>>7387008
>sushinut
>out of stock on almost everything
>gives prices but not how much product you are getting

I dont even
>>
>>7386634
dude, if you have a smoker and know what you're about, cold smoke that bitch
>>
>>7386634
See how it's not sitting in direct contact with ice? No. No it's not alright to eat it raw. You probably wouldn't have problems, but I prefer to not take that risk. I only eat fish raw when it's been kept on ice since it was cleaned. (or immediately frozen).
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.