[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Breadbox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
I need a breadbox. What do I order? Budget is $25-30
>>
File: noshit.jpg (63 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
noshit.jpg
63 KB, 500x379
fuck that, you need a Bag Hutch
>>
Just pick one that you like. It's literally just a fucking box you put bread in.
>>
>>7386640
Theres lots of different kinds on amazon, and no consensus
>>
>>7386644
That's because consensus doesn't matter because it's a fucking box.
>>
>>7386669
some have poor build quality, stick, too big / too small

do you have a hard time grasping that or do you just order things that turn out to be shit?
>>
just pick one thats cheap and you like how it looks
>>
>>7386677
I just avoid buying gimmicky, useless things in the first place.
>>
>>7386735
how else do you keep your freshly baked bread from becoming stale, oh edgy one?
>>
>>7386574
Tests by a swiss consumer NGO here showed that actually, bags made of linen or other fabric do really well for crunchy wheat bread.

The other things that tested that worked well were the Wesco Breadboy and a wooden Beech tree box

Test results here, but it's german:
http://www.srf.ch/konsum/tests/kassensturz-tests/welcher-brotkasten-wirklich-frisch-haelt
>>
>>7386747
I put it in a bag or just turn it cut side down and leave it on a cutting board..
>>
>>7386747
Cardboard box.
>>
>>7386753
>I put it in a bag
but how are you going to take a slice? Remove the bag every time?

>or just turn it cut side down and leave it on a cutting board..
so you give up a valuable cutting board? What if you cut both ends?

>>7386757
>Cardboard box.
you carbox box big enough to cover a couple loafs on the counter? Unsanitary.
>>
>>7386765
>but how are you going to take a slice? Remove the bag every time?
Yes, because I';m not lazy. How is opening a bag more work than opening a box?

>so you give up a valuable cutting board? What if you cut both ends?
I own multiple cutting boards. Why would I cut both ends? I'm not an idiot.
>>
>>7386751 (correction)
It was a cotton bag, but linen cloth also was mentioned to work.

Other suggestions in the article: The box should allow some passage of air, it works better, high humidity is bad. Keeping it very clean also is something you should do for fungus reasons.

Anyhow, you can maybe not get the exact models from the article over in the USA and your bread is not typically crunchy crust, soft dense interior - type wheat bread (from my experience with US bread), but perhaps that helps you identify an useful bread box anyhow.

Don't think too many more scientific-ish tests of the topic in question have been done.
>>
>>7386765
I use plastic grocery bags to store my bread (I bake bread at home every 2-3 days), it's quite simple to pop the loaf out of the bag, slice off the desired about, then put the loaf back in the bag which is tucked closed to keep air out.
>>
>>7386765
How is a cardboard box unsanitary when a wooden one isn't?
>>
>>7386780
well, one is paper first of all
>>
>>7386791
And the other is wood. What's your point?
>>
>>7386636
>Mr. Show
Thanks for the memories
>>
>>7386795
what do you think my point is? Ever spill something on cardboard and try to clean it up? What if I want to store chocolate or blueberry muffins where the chips / blues could very well be touching the bottom? Which one will clean and which one will have soaked in juice?
>>
>>7386803
So get another cardboard box? Why would you store blueberry muffins in a box without putting them on a plate or something anyway? They'll stain the fuck out of a wood box and get it all sticky as well.

Your arguments are pretty weak. If you want to buy a bread box, then buy a bread box but just realize that it's just a stupid box and it doesn't matter at all which one you pick.
>>
no one puts their bread in the freezer? The fridge dries it out, but the freezer retains the moisture.
>>
>>7386842
When for some reason we bought + baked too much, we occasionally do.

It ruins pretty much any good bread crust, but otherwise I guess it works okay.
>>
>>7386842
I'll put a loaf in the freezer if I'm making 2-3 loaves at a time and don't plan to use them or give them to anyone soon. I normally bake a loaf every few days and end up eating it before it gets too stale.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.