[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to order myself some sushi. What would /ck/ suggest?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11
File: IMG_3255.jpg (147 KB, 640x416) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3255.jpg
147 KB, 640x416
About to order myself some sushi. What would /ck/ suggest?
>>
Do they have sushi with pizza or cheeseburger filling yet?
>>
DON'T EAT ANYTHING WITH CRAB

Just trust me. Never eat raw crab.

I don't want to tell you why because you're about to eat.
>>
>>7386501
Avacado salmon roll is good, OP.
>>
spicy tuna maki

unagi nigiri

salmon sashimi
>>
>>7386501
is this a picture from chin chin cafe in ashburn?
>>
>>7386561
/thread
>>
>>7386550
W-why anon...
>>
>>7386589
It looks like take-out and that's probably someone's countertop.
>>
Just, for fucks sake, try to get rolls that aren't drowned in sauce. And if you get anything even remotely resembling a California roll, I'll beat you like a red headed stepchild.
>>
>>7386577
Booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiinnngggggggg

Salmon sashimi is the WORST. At least get hamachi for fucks sake. And unagi? Nigga please, it's not fresh. All unagi is cooked and shipped frozen from Japan.

Get some nigiri with roe, uni, and quail egg yolk. Thank me later.
Also, hamachi sashimi, otoro, surf clam, escolar, and an order of vegetable tempura rolls.
>>
>>7386550
You'd wish to get any crab in cheap sushi. Even the crabmeat has zero traces of crab in it.
>>
>>7386625
Basically this. My exception to the CA roll is something called a sunshine roll. Where I'm from, it's basically a CA roll layed flat with a huge mound of 2-3 types of tuna and chili oil. The advantage of a CA roll instead of just rice is that the creamy-ness of the roll balances out the chili oil.
>>
Why can I only find those shitty rolls?
I like the stuff where it's just a piece of fish over white rice, but I can only ever find the rolls
>>
>>7386680
Sunshine roll at this one place I go to has kiwi sauce with salmon. There's no standard for roll names except for some of the bigger combos like spider and caterpillar rolls.
>>
>>7386550
>raw crab
are u fucking kidding me kid

do some fucking research before posting online PLEASE
>>
>>7387124
Please elaborate
>>
>>7386501
>order myself
You should "order yourself" to an English class.
>>
>>7387156
crabs come fully cooked when you take them out of the ocean iirc
>>
>>7387156
I believe he is referring to that fact that no one prepares sushi with raw crab, as it is dangerous. Some folks think that all sushi is raw, which is certainly not the case.
>>
>>7386501
Hamachi (yellowtail tuna) is always the bomb
I like unagi (freshwater eel), but some folks don't.
I also really like tako (octopus). If they have takoyaki (octopus pancakes), get some!
>>
>>7387171
you should order yourself a nice big glass of shut the fuck up you smug shit-posting cunt.

>u le said something that was not le grammatacklly correct imma shit post about it XD

avocado/salmon sounds amazing by the way OP
>>
>>7387231
>ignorance on parade
>>
>>7386501
Order Her Majesty, Flaming Phoenix Resurrection and Abyssal Kraken.
>>
>>7387243
autism
>>
File: Surrender-WW2-Japs-BE047790.jpg (121 KB, 800x630) Image search: [Google]
Surrender-WW2-Japs-BE047790.jpg
121 KB, 800x630
>>7387245
More like "His Majesty, from god, king of Japan and emperor of everything and this and that." Yadda Yadda Yadda.
>>
>>7386501
Maguro, Chuu-toro, Otoro, Salmon, Tamagoyaki, and Unagi.
>>
>>7387227
If your takoyaki is flat its not takoyaki
>>
where is soy sauce and wasabi ?
>>
>>7388054
Good sushi has the wasabi in the sushi
>>
>>7388054

It's grocery store sushi.

The wasabi is top right, next to the ginger, and the soy sauce comes in little packets next to the chopsticks.
>>
anyone else bothered by literally all sushi rolls having rice on the outside now?
I don't mind it but why cant I get it the normal way anymore! the whole enjoyment of a sushi meal it me is variety and they are all served the same way now
>>
>>7388105

>anyone else bothered by literally all sushi rolls having rice on the outside now
>literally

I haven't noticed that, and since you put the entire piece in your mouth at once it really doesn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>7388050
>Otoro
Meme cut
>>
>>7388117
>it really doesn't make much of a difference
That's not entirely true. There's a totally different initial texture and even scent. In the inside out rolls the rice is burying the nori so the scent is more muffled.
>>
>>7388148

I'm not going to say more is more, but the inside out rolls often have roe or sesame on the outside.

Texture wise, inside out or regular hardly makes a difference.
>>
>>7388158
>Texture wise, inside out or regular hardly makes a difference.
A piece of dried seaweed hitting your tongue vs rice is a pretty big difference. Nori on outside adds a noticeable crunchiness whereas rice on the outside is mostly just chewy
>>
>>7388186

It makes a difference for a split second, but as said above, inside out rolls are often rolled in sesame seeds, roe, or nori, adding another texture.

I am against rolls that are drenched in two or three different sauces, don't get me wrong.

If I'm going to order rolls, I go for less ingredients; I just don't see a problem with the rice on the outside.
>>
File: 1376894523398.jpg (467 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1376894523398.jpg
467 KB, 1600x1200
eel, cucumber, avocado roll for life

caterpillar roll can come too

PS. have to try octopus sashimi at least once

PPS. why does all sushi with shrimp taste bland?
>>
>>7388205

>caterpillar roll for life
>caterpillar roll can come too
>>
>>7388205
Tako isn't terrible raw, but its not good either. Ika is awful though
>>
>>7388208
caterpillar roll has like 3 times the avocado to eel ratio and most places put krab in the middle.
>>
>>7386513
I've been to a place that sells sushi pizza. it's basically cheese melted on top of a roll of sushi. tastes like shit
>>
>>7387223
This. Folks don't understand that most sushi have to be FDA approved before being shipped out. How do they get rid of the parasites/potential bacteria? Well, believe it or not, they flash freeze it to kill them. Yes, its no longer "fresh" out of the ocean, but its safer that way.
>>
>>7386513
Yes the one i had was surprisingly good; filled with beef cubes lightly marinated in some soy mirin thing and cheese, nori on the inside then the rice wrapped in a panko crumb. It deep fried until cheese is melted, panko is crispy and the beef is heated through. Served with spicy mayo, bacon can be added to the roll and chicken is also an option.
>>
File: 1449414092838.png (446 KB, 593x407) Image search: [Google]
1449414092838.png
446 KB, 593x407
>>7386645
>escolar
>>
>>7388259
Whatever that is its not sushi
>>
>>7388342
>implying there is anything wrong with escolar
Do you have like, no self-control whatsoever? Are you afraid you're going to inhale five pounds of raw escolar in one sitting, while struggling to breathe normally, as is your normal eating routine with any other food item?
>>
>>7386501
Salmon Skin Rolls if they have them. Toasty crunchy salmon skin is fucking awesome.
>>
Depends on the place.

Fuck that imitation bullshit.

Yellowtail & freshwater eel, of course.
>>
>>7388955
I'd had two pieces before and promptly shit myself a few hours later. Highly recommend.
>>
>>7388205
eel is best sushi
>>
Eel, uni, otoro. Salmon roe, if they have it.
>>
>>7389087
Yeah but you're that guy who gets volcanic shits from strolling through the "ethnic food" section of the grocery store

It wasn't the escolar, white boy
>>
>>7386589
What the fuck anon, I've been to that place. My parents live nearby.
>>
>>7386501
Unagi nigiri and anything with salmon has always been good for me. There's just so many varieties so just sample everything.

There's a restaurant not too far from me called Minado's. It was hands down the best sushi I've ever eaten in my life. My Khmer coworkers took me there after work as part of a guys night so sushi + kirin ichiban = happy night. If you live near the Cape I suggest it.
>>
>>7386501
EEL MY NIGGA EAL
>>
>>7389136
I'd rather visit the water closet a few extra times than be anything other than white, boy.
>>
File: 1n26zXw.jpg (33 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1n26zXw.jpg
33 KB, 540x720
SPIDER ROLL
>>
>>7391196

Centipede posting is against /ck/ rules.

Delete this.
>>
>>7391205
It's a millipede you fuck
>>
>>7391214

Millipedes are soft and cuddly ('cause of all them extra legs I suppose).

Centipedes are literal demon hell spawn.
>>
>>7391214
That's a centipede. You can tell because it has one pair of legs for each body segment, while millipedes have two.
>>
>>7391238
anon is correct. It's a mother centipede guarding her young
>>
File: suishi-burrito.jpg (90 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
suishi-burrito.jpg
90 KB, 590x590
>>7386501
Get the sushi burrito.
>>
>>7391196
I'm terrified just looking at this.

I know the very second I begin to pour lighter fluid in this to nuke it or even pick it up to dump it in the toilet the demon queen is going to *blitz* towards me at unholy speeds and envenom me multiple times (while crawling over as much of my surface area as she can) and then lay her eggs in my desecrated corpse.
>>
>>7391298
I can't decide whether that's disgusting or amazing.
>>
>>7389137
I live nearbly too bro
>>
>>7391376
its amazing tf you havent even tried it dont make assumptions
>>
I like going with the good old tomago maki or tomago sushi cause it's super cheap and tastes nice, made it a few times myself but I utterly fail at forming rice.
>>
>>7386501
Anything yellowtail. GOAT sushi meat
>>
>>7391376
to me it just looks like a curry wrap but the rice is sticky rice instead and it probably has some fish in it. probably great
>>
>>7386501
Escolar.
>>
California roll

Inb4 not real sushi, shit is good anyways
>>
Deirbergs crunchy roll is pretty decent. Same goes for their dragon.

I'm not sure they're worth the price they are, but I'm willing to splurge for one if I'm shopping there.
>>
>>7391298
Is it weird that the thought of raw fish doesn't seem bad to me, but a cold burrito grosses me out?
>>
I hate soy sauce on sushi. It ruins it for me. I'll just stick with eel sauce and spicy mayo.
>>
>>7388052
That would be okonomiyaki then
>>
>>7391940
Uh, NO. Okonomiyaki is completely different.
>>
>>7391940
okonomiyaki is a savory pancake
>>
>>7391925
I've actually had a sushi burrito before. It's better to think of it as a bigger uncut sushi roll with more filling and the ends tucked in. The picture here >>7391298 is wrapped in soy paper, but some places wrap it with seaweed.
>>
>>7391943
Takoyaki doesn't have cabbage, but wouldn't a flat takoyaki be pretty much the same as a flat mini tako okonomiyaki with a slightly different sauce?

What I've always wondered is why they don't make takoyaki like products with something besides octopus
>>
>>7391979
This seems like a better version
>>
Gook food noice.
>>
>>7391979
>uncut
disgusting.
>>
>>7391993
We all love a girl with talent.
>>
File: index.jpg (14 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
14 KB, 222x227
UMAAJI sushi is the best!!
you should know about UMAAJI style
okey?
>>
>>7386501
Korean hookers, they're cute and eager to please.
>>
>>7388205
The shrimp that is suppose to be used in sushi belongs to another species aka Botan Shrimp.

However, Alaskan pink shrimp is cheaper and more plentiful and closer to the taste and texture of Botan shrimp, so America ended up forcing most of the world to use their Alaskan pink shrimp in most shrimp sushi outside Japan.
>>
File: Jiro Perfection.png (249 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
Jiro Perfection.png
249 KB, 620x349
>>7388205

>there's not enough uni here to fill this up
>just start shoving in cucumber slices until it's the same size as everything else
>>
>>7386501
before i found a sushi bar that does an all you can eat my go to rolls were eel avocado, crunchy spicy tuna, atlantic tempura roll (cream cheese, smoked salmon fried in tempura), and spicy crab. but it depends i changed shit up constantly
>>
>>7392462
his documentary was actually really cool. the lengths he goes to are insane. who the fuck wants to massage octopus for 45-90 mins?? but apparently he does it better than anyone. also i love the little shit he does that he never mentions like passing left handed people their sushi on the left.
>>
>>7388096
>It's grocery store sushi.

That's how most sushi places prepare it if you order to go, not just when it's sold in grocery stores.

Don't tell me your local sushi place puts take-out orders in styrofoam containers...
>>
>>7394102

I've been eating sushi pretty regularly for nearly 30 years and I don't think I've ever gotten it to-go from a restaurant, or even ever had leftovers.
>>
>>7386501

never get the spicy rolls. they use the old shitty fish. i am all about the salmon. anything without mayo
>>
>>7391920
>>Deirbergs

Hello there St. Louis bro.

FYI, no one else here is going to know wtf Deirberghs or Schnucks is. We are like the only large metropolitan area where the grocery market is dominated by two local family owned businesses, the majority of these people shop at national chain owned groceries.

FYI, since I have been waiting for the opportunity to tell someone this since I started reading /ck...
Schnucks brand crunchy kettle potato chips, jalapeƱo flavor.

They are not stupid "add mor capsaicin so they burn" flavored, they actually taste like the fruity, slightly spicy peppers they are named after. Seriously best store brand thing ever. You are welcome.

Also, love that deirberghs sushi, better than half the actual sushi joints in the area.
>>
Do a barrel roll
>>
Tuna avocado
Salmon avocado
Cucumber eel avocado

Sense a pattern?
>>
>>7386501
>sushi

more like memeshi
>>
>>7392871
>but apparently he does it better than anyone.
I've never been there, but I hear mixed things. Some say it's the best, others say it's all just hype and that his son's is much better food and service wise.
>>
>>7386501
Spicy white tuna roll.
>>
File: fish.png (7 KB, 264x195) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
7 KB, 264x195
>>7386501
>About to order myself some sushi
literally worse than hitler

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160220-do-fish-have-feelings
>>
>>7398706
Go back to tumblr.
>>
>>7387171
It's a reflexive verb. He is literally about to order something for himself. He's going to order himself some food. The subject and object that are being predicated are the same. There's nothing grammatically incorrect about that statement.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.