[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's your local restaurant scene like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: 1455687949370.jpg (47 KB, 700x513) Image search: [Google]
1455687949370.jpg
47 KB, 700x513
what's your local restaurant scene like?
>>
Varied
>>
that looks disgusting, why not just put the meat and sauce in a glass of water
>>
>>7384726
I think it would be okay as long as the cucumbers were salted first to dry them a little
>>
>>7384730
I've used cucumber slices for cold cuts when I didn't have any crackers. Worked well.
>>
>>7384730
The cucumbers would be really hard as it is. You'd almost have to cook them a bit.
>>
>>7384716
Excellent, thank you for asking
>>
>>7384716
I live a block away from a restaurant that has never received anything less than 5 stars.

And I agree with the assessments. The place is fantastic.
>>
>>7384716
Here in Wisconsin people rate Olive Garden pretty highly.
Just because we're not on the Coast doesn't mean we can't enjoy fine dining.
>>
>>7384716
When I lived in NYC for 30+ years I never really considered it that much, I just considered it as what it was. Now upstate NY it's not bad, there are few local joints, not better or worse than the NYC stuffy shit, and it is what it is.

I really don't consider it that much since generally I'll make my own shit as I did in NYC. The only reason I'd go out in either place is for some chick. Chicks always need to be impressed or need something to do when I'm just as happy making something for myself and fucking around on the internet, watching TV, or working.

A lot of people especially hollywood morons and celebrity types make a lot more of this than it really is.
>>
That's really how they make their money, by being celebrities, and I couldn't give a shit about them. NYC can say fuck off to them.
>>
>>7384716
It's pretty shit. Nothing but 5/10 Chinese and pizza joints.
>>
>>7384962
Why not give an actual location instead of rank based on a bunch of nothing?
>>
>>7384945
Fine dining
Olive Garden
Pick one
>>
Endicott NY, for now, Nicks, pretty good pizza. Friendlies, pretty good. Some paki ass place, kind of shit. pizza slut, well you know what that shit is. Pappa johns, it's passable, but not worth the money. Corbin's decent diner type place but not worth it, friendly's is better, their burgers taste like something straight from a sysco bag. Various other places, not better than NYC, but certainly no worse.
>>
Seattle area. A lot of meh teriyaki mixed in with nice ones. Really good local places serving americanized Chinese. Not gonna lie I haven't really eaten much of the more authentic Chinese and Korean dishes around.
Some good ass hipster designer-esque cafes/small restaurants tol
>>
London

You jelly? Yeah, you jelly.
>>
The subdivisions of Indianapolis... lots of great mom and pop places but few are willing to try them unless they show up on tv...
>>
Collingwood, Ontario.

Close to a ski hill called Blue Mountain.

At the mounyain, lots of restaurants of poor to decent quality out there for the tourists.

Oliver & Bonacini, fine casual, at the Westin hotel, serves well executed but safe and unadventurous food. Overpriced.

Firehall Pizza, casual, is adequate. Better than chain pizza at least. Overpriced.

The Pottery, at the Blue Mountain Inn, fine casual, well executed. Better value than O&B. Excellent breakfast. Has an attached casual bar called Jozos serving a separate pub food menu. Decent. Get the smoked wings sauced with red pepper glaze. The other sauces are your typical bottled wing sauces.

Harley Scoops is an gift shop that serves ice cream. However, they serve Kawartha Dairy ice cream, which is good quality stuff.

There are other places that aren't really worth a mention. Also, it's a tourist trap. Only The Pottery/Jozos aren't overpriced.

In town itself, better prices. Canadian chain restaurants like Kelsey's, Montana's, Boston Pizza, and Swiss Chalet.

Huron Club, fine casual, well executed. Good value. More interesting food compared to what you find at the ski hill places. My girlfriend is a line cook there.

Northwinds Brewery. Casual brewpub. Gastropub fare. Decent to very good quality beer. Lots of beer styles available. Excellent wings, good burgers, haven't tried the other food yet. Attached bottle shop.

Pie. Casual. Sit down pizza place. Wood fired oven. Thin, crisp, yet pliable crust. Uses decent cheese, not brick mozzarella. Better than Firehall. Good by Ontario standards. New Yorkers would bitch.

Hungry Sumo. Decent sushi.

Crystal Buffet. Canadian Chinese. It's Chinese buffet, it's not great but whatever, sometimes I crave it. Weirdly enough, the place has amazing wings lmao. Tempura batted, crispy, perfectly seasoned. Now that I think of it, worth checking out if you think of it as an all you can eat wing joint. The take-out food tastes better than the buffet food though.
>>
>>7384716
Macon, GA. Went to one of the best restaurants in town (which is actually a very good restaurant with an actual chef cooking actual French-type food), ordered a veal cutlet in a red wine and mushroom reduction, and then asked what beers they had. The first three beers they mentioned: Miller Lite, Coors Lite, and Bud Lite. They had better beers, but seriously... "Yeah, man. Let me get a Bud lite to go with my veal." I guess they'll get there eventually, but seriously...
>>
>>7385030

(Continued)

The Beaver and Bulldog. Casual pub. Go for the wings. Get them ginger honey glazed. Inconsistent service.

There is an excellent tea shop in downtown Collingwood selling a good selection of quality loose teas and a few pu-erhs.

The Smoke. Decent BBQ and burger joint. Burnt ends are to die for. Smoked salmon burgers are badass. Pretty good pulled pork. Haven't tried the chicken, ribs, or the brisket aside from the burnt ends. Overpriced, but BBQ always is in Canada. sad face.jpg

There are some other fine casual and non-chain casual joints I haven't tried yet.

45 minutes from town, near the village of Singhampton, is a place called Eigensinn Farm. Place was on the San Pellegrino Best 50 Restaurants list at one point. Quirky farm to table place, upscale fine dining but with a weird atmosphere. This is second hand reporting though, its way out of my price range lol. Has a more casual bakery/pizza/dim sum (wtf!) place on the same property.
>>
>>7384716
that must be an enormus cucumber
>>
>>7384716

My girlfriend would eat those lol. She loves cucumber.

I'd peel the skin though.
>>
North suburbs of indy, we have way too many burger, pizza, and deli places on top of too many shit chain restaurants.
>>
>>7384716
Well if the food looks like that, horrifying I'd say.
>>
>go out to breakfast with grandfather every week because he's lonely
>he likes this one restaurant because the waitresses are nice and always bring more coffee
>the food is terrible
>only edible thing on the menu is an omelette
>somehow they make it taste like rubberized air
>even the coffee is bad
>went for dinner there the other night with family (grandpa likes the place that much)
>ordered my favorite dish, eggplant parm, figure they can't fuck it up
>couldn't even identify it as eggplant
>swear to god is was pieces of cardboard or some sort of flatbread layered with greasy fake cheese and marinara by the gallon
>they put paprika as a garnish
>paprika
>mfw there's a 5/5 french breakfast nook, with the same prices, that has divine food just around the corner
>pulling teeth to get him to go there once in a while instead

It seems like the worst restaurants get the most traffic. Really shitty diners are packed here, and good places get little to nothing. It's like bizarro world. The kids at my uni were raving about this one local diner. I went there once. The food was so bad I could barely eat it, picked at the dish and left hungry. Meanwhile god tier places keep closing up.

Fatasses just like the places with the greasiest shit and biggest portions, regardless of quality. Oh, and fast food everywhere. Hard to find a mom and pop place anymore, but fast food you can't throw a stone without hitting one.
>>
>>7384732
That's a little different from a sandwich. You can kinda keep all the stuff together on a sandwich. One bite into this thing and all the meat would squish out the back.
>>
File: Living-In-Ohio-3.jpg (208 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Living-In-Ohio-3.jpg
208 KB, 640x427
Here in Ohio we have some of the finest chain restaurants available in America including the famous P.F. Chang's. Our state dish is chili cheese spaghetti. A Chipotle just recently opened in our town. At first the locals heavily opposed having one, but they are slowly accepting it, authentic Mexican food is a very new concept here.
>>
>>7384716
>scene
It's lackluster to say the least, especially now 3DM is out of the game
>>
>>7385416
As a Cincifag I was very pleased when I ate at a Skyline in Naples FL. I later learned that it is the only Skyline within a thousand miles south of Lexinton.
>>
>>7384999
No, because I'm from Melbourne.
Eat a dick.
>>
>>7385431
Enjoy your overpriced.. everything.
>>
>>7385434
Overpriced if you go to the wrong places.
Also our wages are pretty good so matter of perspective I guess.
>>
>>7385439
Last time I was there I grabbed a filthy Big Mac out of convenience.
Was something retarded like $13 in a combo
>>
I live in Chicago so we have plenty of great new restaurants and new ones are always popping up. One of the most energetic culinary scenes in the country desu. Me and my girlfriend go to a new place once a week and then write a yelp review together
>>
File: 1450626550292.jpg (63 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1450626550292.jpg
63 KB, 700x700
It's fucking garbage.

Indie special snowflake lunch restaurants popping up everywhere, serving cookie cutter food truck garbage that's not worth the asking price.
Regular restaurants are like a decade behind and serve stale food.
Gourmet restaurants are pretentious and pretty uninteresting as well.

Poland.
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 840x446) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 840x446
>>7385416
I now crave lettuce wraps and a 4-way with onion. Damn you. Also only people in Ohio and a few other eatern states get to enjoy Donatos pizza. Even more specific and delicious is Masseys pizza in central Ohio. Pic obv related
>>
>>7385449
Couldn't confirm, have eaten that shit in a long time.
But that's a fairly standard price for a cheap(ish) lunch.
>>
>>7384716
If those were peeled, it'd be better imo.
>>
Is dining out in the US really predominantly at chains?
That makes me sad, if I see a chain/franchise it stays in the "Only if starvation is imminent" column..
>>
I live in tourist central on the east coast of Australia. Most of the food here sucks dick, I guess they aren't relying on return customers so much in the tourist areas. There is some good places if you know where to look and seafood is pretty great everywhere.
>>
>>7385518
Tourist areas do suck in Aus. Because they don't have to live up to the standards that most of us expect. They can get away with serving shit out of convenience and a nice view.
I worked in rural VIC near the coast and I could never go out to eat a nice meal on my day off.
Terrible breakfast and lunch, pricey as fuck.
Dinner.. absolutely embarassing.
>>
>>7384716
Hyperlocal, as in varies every 20 blocks. In my neighborhood it's mostly Mexican (with other assorted Latin American thrown in) and Chinese. 20 blocks north it's Greek, Italian American and Middle Eastern. 20 blocks in the other direction and you find the kind of precious places that source their ingredients carefully, make their own pickles and charge higher prices. Part of me wants to make fun of these places, but some of them make such good food that I have to give them credit - they're worth the price for a splurge.

Anything else I want requires travel by bike, subway or car, but if I'm willing to do that I can get pretty much anything I want.
>>
>>7385490
Chins are replacement meals in case you haven't cooked. The good spots are for holidays / anniversaries. Chains are popular because Americans are busy. We are the hardest worked people on the planet.
>>
>>7385535
>Chains are popular because Americans are busy.
Not the Anon you're responding to, but I would say chains are popular because most people in America don't cook and have pretty low standards when it comes to what they eat. Nationwide our favorite flavor is crunchy.
>We are the hardest worked people on the planet.
Anyone who feels like they're among the hardest worked people on the planet, and the reward for this is going out to eat at chain restaurants (paid for on their credit card) has a pretty fucked up set of priorities. But there are many people who just don't know any better.
>>
Local eating and fine dining is starting to seep into the south, and NC has a ton of good brewers. We're rediscovering some of how our great grandparents ate before the depression and using the warm climate to grow veggies all year instead of just slapping fat and grease on a plate. Plus most of the old smokers have died so everythign doesn't have to be salted into oblivion.
>>
>>7385490
Mostly in suburban and rural areas are chains more predominate, where for many people "going out" for a "fancy meal" to celebrate something means going to red lobster or something.

Much better restaurant selection in urban areas
>>
>>7384999
No. I'm not jelly of having to suck up to islamics you London freak.

LOL
O
N
D
O
N

LOL
O
L
>>
>>7384996
Tacoma isn't any better. We do have Marrow Kitchen, which is god-tier. At least you guys have Serious Pie, we have Elemental Pizza down here which tries too hard to be like Serious Pie but is really mediocre.
>>
>>7385020
Went there once to visit some friends, you guys have this whole area full of just little restaurants and it was so fun. Tried out the place that sells chicago style hot dogs and that was bredy gud.
>>
Not the best selection t b h

Smalltown Ohio, and the one good bistro we have/had (at this point) went downhill p. fast over the course of a couple years. Crappy service last time, but the curried carrot soup was good. Hanger steak wasn't as tender as ones I've had before, and the chimichurri sauce on top wouldn't have done all that much for me if the pickled red onions they included weren't there. Oh well. They still make a class cocktail, had a good manhattan and a white negroni (hit it a *little* too hard with the chartreuse though).

Got a decent mom and pop sub joint that makes a dank cheesesteak, though clearly not 'authentic' if that matters. Steakhouse does a good porterhouse, ribeye and burger, and mom and pop BBQ joint next door does quite good pulled pork, but the rest of their offerings are lackluster. P. decent hibachi grill.

Other than that, usual chain fare (though Donato's, as mentioned above somewhere, is quite good).
>>
Pittsburgh.

Best dining out side of NYC and LA...

Eleven
Dish Osteria
Nine on Nine
Seviche
Park Brugges
La Palapa
Dish Osteria
Stagioni
Meat & Potatos
The Cure
Salt of the Earth (closed, unfortunately)
Tako
Eighty Acres
Sienna Mercato
Butcher in the Rye
Braddock Brasserie
Spoon
BRGR
Bread and Salt
Carmellas Plates and Pints
Hyeholde
Joseph Tambellinis
Avenue B
Bar Marco
Legume
Toast
Lautrec
Penn Ave Fish Company
Marcillo
Point Brugges
Piccolo Forno
Root 174
Casbah
Grit & Grace
Wild Rosemary
Cafe Io
Cage Zihno
E2
Gaucho Parilla
Vivo
Umi Japanese
Whitfield
Hyde Park
Truth
Notion
Habitat
Tamari
Los Cabos
Casa Rasta
Round Corner
Nickys Thai
Union Pig
Everyday Noodles
Kaya
Dinette
Donatos
Sienna on the Square
Las Palmas
Smoke Taqueria
>>
>>7384985
>What are /ck/ memes, Alex?
>>
File: dirty-baby.jpg (13 KB, 348x249) Image search: [Google]
dirty-baby.jpg
13 KB, 348x249
>>7385416
youre serious arent you. I'll clue you in. the famous p.f. changs is a shitty Chinese restaurant and chipotle is the furthest thing from authentic mexican food you can find.
>>
Family owned tex mex dives out the ass, a few mediocre Italian restaurants, and lots of big chain restaurants.
>>
>>7385463
enjoy your boogers and cum.
>>
Richmond, KY

We got a great sushi place, a traditional Mediterranean restaurant and an amazing coffee shop. Beyond that, it's the standard fare. I like our few options more than any of the options in Lexington though, because all they have up there are bullshit vegan restaurants and shit.

Big advantage of having few options is that everyone tends to learn to cook. Our farmers market is completely packed every weekend.
>>
>>7385975
>thinking the tone of that post is anything beyond pure sarcasm
>>
>>7385991
>thinking the tone of that post is anything beyond pure sarcasm
>>
NYC area, so I've got pretty much everything except African food within a 15-block radius.

Japanese (low quality tho), Chinese, Chinese-American, Vietnamese, Vietnamese-Cajun, Thai, Korean, Korean-French, French, crepes, Dominican bakery, Italian bakery, Portuguese bakery, upscale cake-shop, a chocolatier, sandwich shops, multiple pizzerias/Italian, Indian, Jamaican, bar food, Portuguese, Mexican, Tex-mex, ramen, tea shop, coffee shops, gelato, rice ball, American, bbq, Cuban, Puerto-Rican, Dominican, Brazilian, and infinite chains
>>
>>7386013
Yeah, I do. It's formatted stupidly and appears to have been written by a stupid person, probably you. No hyperbole, no fallacy, no mecanism to indicate that it should be taken sarcastically.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.