[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a few chicken legs in my freezer that I'm not using.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: iStock_chicken%20leg[1].jpg (596 KB, 1697x1131) Image search: [Google]
iStock_chicken%20leg[1].jpg
596 KB, 1697x1131
I have a few chicken legs in my freezer that I'm not using. What are some recipes I could use with them? Since chicken legs are pretty difficult to panfry my preference goes to oven dishes.
>>
poach them then strain off the poaching liquor and reduce while dry frying them skin side down on a parchment-lined pan
>>
marinate in your the sauce of your choice and roast
>>
>>7383089
thaw
deconstruct
chop
marinate in soy+ginger+beer ~2 hours
stir fry with day old rice+whatever veg
roast leftover bones for soup stock
>>
Chop up in twos and cook potato stew. Diced onions, powdered and fresh paprika, tomato juice (puree), diced carrot, wheat dumplings...
>>
File: IMG_20160216_235925.jpg (112 KB, 640x390) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_235925.jpg
112 KB, 640x390
>>
If you've a significant number, consider separating drums from thighs.
In my country, drums and wings are our typical choices for chicken soup. It might not be a bad idea for you to go that route, but oven roasting is nice, too.
Toss in a baking dish with a bit of oil or chicken grease (see below) and sprinkle with dried rosemary, lemon zest (dried or fresh grated), thinly sliced garlic, flaked chilli and salt, then toss about to well distribute and shove into the oven to cook through.
As for the thighs, trim excess fat then de-skin and de-bone them. You can use the bones for making the aforementioned stock while the skins/fat can be rendered for cooking grease. The crunchy bits leftover can be eaten as a snack. The thigh meat can be used in place of any porkchop recipe or flattened for schnitzel (best chicken schnitzel is made from thigh rather than breast), cut up, battered and fried for nuggets/tenders or minced for fresh sausage. If you're clever, you can process the mince further into a smoother consistency and add curing salts, garlic and spices, squeeze into casings, poach or steam to cook through and, finally, smoke for cooked sausage.
If using like porkchops, my faovurite is to cook them in a paprika gravy. Just dredge them in seasoned flour and pan-fry in chicken grease then remove from the pan. Add a bit of flour, paprika and, if desired, freshly-powdered caraway to the pan to make a roux, cook it a bit, then stir in some sliced onion and either sauerkraut or mushrooms and mix through. Off the heat and keep stirring until the sizzling stops then re-up the heat, add a bit of stock and whisk to dissolve the roux. Chicken, vegetable or mushroom stocks are all great here, depending what you're going for. Finally, re-add the thigh/s and allow to cook until the stock is reduced to a nice, thick gravy. Really nice with a side of sliced bread dumpling and sour cream.
In all cases, once cooked, you can refreeze to be enjoyed at later dates, if ya want.
>>
File: 20160213_192718.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160213_192718.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Cassolet
>brown chicken legs in a dutch oven with some fat
>remove, add in mire poiux
> thyme, bay leaf. Fresh cracked black pepper
>pine nuts and dried soaked white beans
>put legs back in
>add a small packet of plain gelatin
>fill up with chicken stock 2/3rds of the way
>cover and put on at 225F in the oven for 6 hours
> uncover and cook for another hour at 250 or until a dark brown crust forms on top
>
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.