[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /ck/, I don't visit here often, but I want to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: 1386304775785.jpg (1 MB, 740x3328) Image search: [Google]
1386304775785.jpg
1 MB, 740x3328
Hey, /ck/, I don't visit here often, but I want to learn how to make some fried rice. For starters, I'm completely inept at cooking, but it seems like an easy enough dish to get me started. Can you guys help me make a fried rice that isn't a mushy mess? And how much sesame oil should I use if at all, because the last time I tried to make it all I could taste was the sesame oil with the saltiness from the soy sauce and it was an ugly "soy sauce on white rice" brown, not that delicious golden fried rice brown, so I had to chuck it in the garbage disposal.
>>
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/fried-rice-recipe.html
>>
>>7381106
First off, use day old rice from the fridge, or it will be mushy. Make a stir fry sauce (something sweet, something spicy, something salty, aeromatics). Scramble some eggs. Cut up, season/marinade, and fry up the protein in the wok. Throw in the vegetables. Rice and stir fry sauce. Eggs.

It's all in the technique. I made some delicious ass shit out of spam and frozen mixed vegetables.
>>
Fuck, I knew I was missing something in the OP. I meant to add that I don't have a wok and I don't think it'd work the same on my electric range. Would some overnight Jasmine rice be fine to use? And should I just google for a stir fry sauce or are there some common recipes?
>>
>>7381119
is in reply to >>7381112
>>
>>7381119
No wok and no gas range? Guess you could use a really thick bottomed pot like cast iron and get it hot as shit, but your equipment may just mean it'll turn sub-par. I've always used short grain rice, probably because I buy it in 10lb bags.

Stir fry sauce is a shortcut american bastardization. I use soy sauce, finely minced onion/garlic/scallion, sesame oil, brown sugar, sriracha/sambal/spicy chili crisp, whatever dry ingredients, whatever. Pretty much "what do you think will taste chinese" then throw it in.
>>
>>7381119
>Jasmine rice be fine to use?
I prefer it myself. That's what is used in Thai style fried rice. I like using it fresh instead of refrigerated. Other rices I usually refrigerate.
Do you want Chinese style? Or Thai style? I can help with Thai style.
Thai is my favorite.
>>
>>7381144
I really don't care which style it is because I'm not a food expert, but my favorite is from this Vietnamese place over in the Asian side of town. So any help you can offer is great. I'd just like to be able to make it half decent with my limitations.
>>
>>7381155
dubs checked

Vietnamese is probably similar to Thai, I'd guess.
I'll share what I think I know then.
First of all, watch some videos (this is mostly how I learned).
http://importfood.com/recipes.html#Anchor-Vendor-49575
The street vendor videos are a great way to learn IMO.
>>
>>7381180
Damn, thanks. I mean, I'm a complete novice to cooking, I think the most "advanced" thing I can make is some scrambled ham/chorizo & eggs or a meatloaf.
>>
its pretty fucking easy. BUT HERES A LITTLE TIP THAT NO ONE KNOWS--EVERYOEN FUCKING READ THIS

You probably already know to use day old, room temperature rice (Don't heat it up before hand!)
But heres the best part--- in a small bowl mix together the liquid seasoning you'd be putting in your rice-- aka little soy sauce, hoisin some ginger powder a bit and some sesame oil-- little goes a long way-- also a bit of ketchup (i know it sounds weird but believe me, adds a nice depth flavor)\

THEN add that little bowl of liquid seasoning into the rice and mix it all together-- pre mix it before going in the pan! that way u can quickly fry the rice without having spots that arent cooked well/ seasoning isnt mixed right

source: asian family/ father also owned his own asian restaurant.

gl op

also u asked before about no wok-- u can do it with no wok its fine just make sure its screaming hot when u add the rice and that u NEVER STOP TURNING IT-- at the rice stage it shouldnt be lingering in the pan sauteeing-- it should brown quickly in couple minutes . no longer. also, it may seem a bit soft after a couple minutes but take it out the pan and set it aside, it should firm up nicely within 5 minutes
>>
>>7381194
>ketchup
u filthy gwailo
>>
>>7381203
>tfw full blown Laotian

u--uhm okay anon
>>
File: plSZCPf.jpg (55 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
plSZCPf.jpg
55 KB, 1024x768
>>7381194
Which of these 2 pans should I use? The one on the left is a standard pan, but the one on the right is non-stick(nothing, and I mean NOTHING sticks to this motherfucker, I love it.) and deeper and a bit thicker, too.
>>
>>7381209
dishonor.
>>
>>7381194
>some sesame oil-- little goes a long way--
I use too much sesame oil approximately 1000% of the time unless I'm using a teaspoon. Fuck if I know why the opening on the bottle is so big comparatively.
That's a neato idea though. I've only cooked fried rice half a dozen times but I always fuck something up.
>>
File: DSCN0115.png (745 KB, 806x605) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0115.png
745 KB, 806x605
>>7381191
hi, it's me again

>>7381194
agree with almost all you said, good advice. especially the ketchup.
that is Chinese/American style, though, so I'm going to continue with MY Thai style.

OP,
day old rice is , I believe, a misconception. I think it's an unnecessary step. I think it's a way to use up day old rice. If you REALLY want your rice to not clump (I actually prefer a little clump), then cook it and refrigerate it. THEN, if you're going to go that route ...here's the trick... then cover the day old rice with water, un-clump it with your hands, then strain the water out.

I use a 12 inch non-stick pan for fried rice on my electric range.
Over-crowding the pan is the biggest mistake you can make.
>>
Zero step, remember
DON'T
OVER
CROWD
THE
PAN

First step, scramble an egg (or two) and cook it.
Remove from pan.

Second step, cook the veg and then...
Remove from pan.
If you feel more comfortable steaming them, then do that. Cook them to your liking.
>>
>>7381217
get cast iron or carbon steel. it will be worth it in the long run. unless you want mediocre food then the one on the right
>>
File: DSCN0121.png (824 KB, 806x605) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0121.png
824 KB, 806x605
Third step, cook the meat/tofu.
Remove from pan.

Forth step, add a lot of oil. More than you think you should. Get it HOT!

Fifth step, add cooked rice. Toss it a bit to get it coated in the oil, then let it sit for a bit on high heat. sizzle sizzle sizzle... Okay start tossing and stirring the rice.
>>
>>7381252
The one on the right is ceramic, if that helps influence your choice of my available pans.
>>
keep stirring/tossing for ~3-5 minutes

Sixth step, add sauces to rice (while stirring nearly continuously).

Seventh step, add all of the cooked ingredients to the rice. Stir/toss to combine.

Eighty step, serve/garnish/eat.
>>
>>7381259
smoke break then I'll opine about that.
>>
File: 1436784959533.jpg (196 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1436784959533.jpg
196 KB, 800x800
>>7381112
>not knowing how to cook rice properly
>>
I've scanned the thread and nobody has mentioned oyster sauce, which is what my dad puts in his fried rice and what I put in my fried rice. If my dad's dad cooked for himself instead of his pre-arranged bride cooking for him I'm sure he would have used oyster sauce himself, but my dad learned from one of the Chinese restaurants he worked in while he was in school I think.

Anyways, oyster sauce is fucking great in fried rice.
>>
The bigger of the two pans. Use the biggest pan you have. The ceramic one in this case.

Disregard the pics I used. It was from many years ago. That wok was useless on an electric range.
Cast iron, heavy bottom is unnecessary as well if you
DON'T
OVER
CROWD
THE
PAN.
Like I mentioned, I use a cheapish 12 inch non stick pan. It can handle 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep of rice just fine for fried rice.

Ingredients for step six (Thai style):
Golden Mountain Sauce
Ketchup (optional)
Fish Sauce
Ground White Pepper (can use black)
MSG (optional)

GMS is just seasoned soy sauce, so you could substitute that.
Fish sauce stink to high heaven, I know, but a little bit makes a big difference. It won't taste fishy.
>>
>>7381282
>>7381285
I actually have Oyster Sauce, Sesame Oil, and Fish Sauce at my disposal. I actually sprinkle quite a bit of fish sauce on my rice when I get it at the Vietnamese place. dat umami flavor

Thanks for all the help, anons. Now to decide what cuts of beef to use.
>>
Sugar...
Forgot to mention it, but it's in the GMS.

For Chinese/American fried rice, I use day old rice and rinse it as mentioned earlier. This is how the restaurant I worked in as a youth did it. The end result is the equivalent of instant rice.

>>7381282
>oyster sauce
Absolutely, in Chinese style.

That flavor profile is (to me)
Oyster Sauce
Soy Sauce
Ginger
Garlic

Optional is sesame oil, it can be really overpowering though.

Side note, I like to season the proteins that I use in fried rice so that I get a bit of different flavor when I bit into them. Like BBQ pork. Usually I dust the protein with a bit of 5 spice when I'm uninspired.
>>
OP here, I'm going out for an hour or so, but I'll keep the thread open on my phone. I'm gonna pick up some stuff like the ginger and meat/veggies, and I'll look into a wal-mart wok, even if it is a cheapo one. But will it work okay on my electric range? Or should I just spring for a steel one?
>>
>>7381294
Cheap cuts cut thinly is the norm.
I've absolutely used expensive cuts though.

I strongly suggest watching those street vendor videos. It's just cool to see the authenticity and the OMG factor when they add stuff like MSG and ketchup.
>>
>>7381324
I can buy MSG under the name "Accent", right?
>>
File: 20160216_000348.jpg (687 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160216_000348.jpg
687 KB, 2048x1152
>>7381320
Friend,
don't buy a wok. Not even a flat bottom one.
They simple do not work properly on a normal range. You are better off with a large flat pan.
Think about it... there is direct heat transfer on a flat bottom pan, but a rounded wok ...the sides aren't in contact with a direct heat source.

>Cast iron, heavy bottom is unnecessary as well if you
>DON'T
>OVER
>CROWD
>THE
>PAN.
>Like I mentioned, I use a cheapish 12 inch non stick pan. It can handle 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep of rice just fine for fried rice.
>>
>>7381335
I don't think it is pure MSG, but pretty close.
It occurs naturally in fish sauce, so...
>>
>>7381320
>ginger
If you're going to use fresh ginger, then peel it with a spoon (if you don't already know that trick) and grate it on a cheese grater. Add it when you are frying the rice. It burns easily.

This hex build ain't gonna build itself, so I'm going back to dark souls 2. Godspeed. Hope at least something I said was useful.
>>
>>7381375
I was going to buy the dried stuff, thanks a lot, anon! Good luck with the hex.
>>
>>7381347
Jesus, and I thought my wok was in rough shape.
>>
>>7381517
Nigerian, plz
I put that coating on at work using a high BTU burner and many coats of oil. It is non-stick now.
No acidic items allowed.
Also it never gets used on my electric range for obvious reasons. Unless I am making popped corn. But that's a different thread.
>>
>>7381568
Fuck that noise:

Cold wok.
1/2 cup Orville yellow.
2 Tbls oil
Inverted SS bowl.

Turn heat to medium.
Wait until popping is ~5 seconds per pop.
Towel on inverted bowl, toss a bit.
Wait until ~5 seconds between pops again.
Invert bowl and wok.
Add 2 ounces butter to wok OFF HEAT.
Add popped corn to wok/butter.
Salt it.
Toss the wok and then return to bowl.
A rubber spatula used to get all the butter/salt out of wok.
Eat.
>>
>>7381583
>Wait until popping is ~5 seconds per pop.
*Wait until popping majesty has slowed down to ~5 seconds between pops
>>
I am ashamed of my fellow cucks here tonight for not mentioning a key fucking ingredient RICE VINEGAR. I cook fried rice more than any other dish. I use brown rice because it's the healthiest but surely any rice will do just fine. It sounds like for your standards, you can use fresh rice that wasnt already refrigerated. I will go over my recipe:

1. cook rice in rice cooker
2. cook protein (takes longest to cook) and put aside
3. cook veges and put aside
4. add rice on one half of the pan
5. fry an egg on the other half and scramble it as it cooks. One it is cooked, cut up the egg into desirable sized pieces and mix in with the rice
6. add sauces. In order of volume I add soy sauce, (sometimes sriracha) rice vinegar, sesame oil
7. add protein and veges back onto the pan
8. mix ingredients
9. fucking enjoy

optional: add garlic, green onions, ginger, and sesame seeds at any time. Also salt and pepper to your tastes. I usually dont add salt because soy sauce is already salty.

I learned from the legend's themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYvU3Iq9cA

TLDR: cook everything you want in your fried rice. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
>>
>>7381598
i forgot to mention adding oil to the pan whenever it needs it. this should be obvious even for an amateur.
>>
>>7381598
>I am ashamed
This isn't an ego thread.
There is enough sour in the ingredients previously listed.

I appreciate your recipe and method, but your candor is unappreciated.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Op reporting in, just finished prepping the rice. Letting it cool a bit before refrigerating.
>>
>>7381598
Should I season the meat in any way aside from salt/pepper/soy sauce? Or season it with the sauces when I mix it with rice?
>>
>>7381701
I dont add extra seasoning to my chicken but you could if you wanted to. If I am using strong ingredients like soy, sesame oil, fish sauce, etc, i tend to use less or no seasoning.

I am a super amateur cook. That is just what pleases my tastes, which is what cooking is all about.

I advise watching several youtube videos for recipes instead of reading text based recipes. After you've watched 1-3 videos you can see what ingredients and techniques are essential for your desired recipe. Goodluck anon.
>>
>>7381636
Good start

>>7381701
As I said, I like to add some flavor to the meat added, just to have some contrast. It isn't necessary. >>7381717
What did you get for meat?
>>
>>7381583
I would like to know your reasoning for the cold wok part.

My mom always used to put a single kernel into the pot she was going to pop corn in for stovetop popcorn, and when it popped she added the rest of the kernels. I've been thinking of using my wok for popping corn and I was going to stick to her method. What advantage is there for starting everything from cold?
>>
Things you need:
>day old rice
>vegetables
>protein
>beaten eggs
>soy sauce
>vegetable oil
>spring onions

Cook it all in a wok. It's supposed to be a simple meal for when you're feeling lazy or have a bunch of random ingredients.

t. a Chinese person
>>
>>7381746
Some cheap "stew meat" it's in little chunks, but I'll still need to cut them in half.
>>
1. cook rice in rice cooker a day before
2. prep veggies
3. lightly saute 1/3 cup onion, 1 tbsp. white part of scallops, thumb size of minced garlic, thumb size of minced ginger.
4. cook cubed protein i usually use pork, halfway through searing add same amounts of garlic, ginger and onion as step 3.
5. cook scrambled eggs with a shot of water in it.
6. fry rice
7. while rice is frying make a sauce of 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, and dash of fish sauce.
8. after rice is fried to consistency you like, add bean sprouts and add everything reserved(I keep a bowl next to my wok for everything that leaves the pan cooked to go into)
9. mix in sauce and 2 tbsp. green part of scallops
10. serve with a couple drops of sesame oil on top

after every step add 1 tbsp. of oil to the pan(i use peanut oil), always keep the wok on high as well for every step. Once an item is cooked(except frying the rice) add it to a bowl next to the wok to add in later after the rice is done frying. Pic related when i tried out carrots and peas, didn't like the carrots at all but peas were nice.
>>
>>7382432
*scallions
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
OP here, thanks for all the help, guys. First try was actually edible! Flavor needs a little work, though. Used Soy, oyster, and sesame oil for sauces.
>>
>>7381257
>parts of the rice not covered with sauce, very splottchy

i am disappoint
>>
>>7381106
http://theasiangrandmotherscookbook.com/2011/10/07/fried-rice-recipe/
I use this method's procedure, but I use a lower magnitude of ingredients (including sauces) because I only cook for myself and don't leave left overs.

To prepare, cook a cup a jasmine rice in ~1 1/4 cups of water. It makes rice that is slightly dryer than normal, I find it's easier to cook with. Shove it in some pyrex and put it in the fridge for a few hours after you cook it.
You should also cook the chicken in your preferred method beforehand also, makes their addition to the rice much easier later on. I find a good amount to be 1 breast/3 tenders (note, I'm a cheap shit who gets bags of chicken from the frozen section). I don't have any advice on other meat.

Also, I add all my veggies in the second step, not just carrots, and it's worked well so far. After like 2 minutes of cooking the veggies, push them to a corner of the pan and crack an egg in the open area. Prepare the thing however you want, but at the end make sure to smush it with the veggies and oil before adding the meat/rice.
>>
>>7384417
If you use my recommended amount of meat, make sure to use about a cup and a half of cooked rice to complete the dish. I like to add chunks of rice to the pan, pour soy sauce into that (use a little less than 1tbsp), then mix it with the rest of the ingredients while breaking up the chunks of rice.
After everything is mixed, turn the heat back up for several minutes while stirring a lot (to prevent shit sticking to the pan too much).

If you want to make it spicier, add red pepper flakes to the oil along with the garlic. It's better than sriracca.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.