[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xiao Long Bao
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
I have a hankering for xiao long bao, but I've ever attempted to make them only the pleasure of eating these amazing things. If you've never heard of them, they're soup dumplings. Pork broth is gelatinized then chopped and mixed with ground pork, bundled together in a dumpling wrap and steamed. In the steaming process, the gelatin melts and becomes soup again. I'd like to make these within the next couple weeks but need to buy a good steamer first.

Anyone have experience making these. Maybe some tips or suggestions where you might have errored or could have done better?
>>
No experience with xiao long, but dumplings in general I would suggest making maybe 1.5x as much dough as you think or the recipe suggests you need.

Leftover dough is more versatile than leftover filling, and it gives you the breathing room to fix fucked up dumplings.
>>
>>7380632
I love dumplings. If there are dumplings to be had, I say put utensils in my hand and point me in the right direction.
>>
Tfw work at a dumpling restaurant with an XLB speciality.
Tfw customers dont finish their dumplings and I eat them
Tfw the only white guy there
>>
>>7380730

Dude, that sounds like fucking paradise! Haha oh man I would put on so much weight working at a place like that. You have my envy, sir. Dumplings, next to soup or mashed potatoes, are one of my ultimate comfort foods.
>>
>>7380730
>Tfw customers dont finish their dumplings
This is the only part I'm disgusted with.

I went to a soup dumpling place a while back by myself and I ordered way too many dumplings. I finished all of it. Waste not, want not.
>>
>>7380632
>this thread is pertinent to my interests

I've been wanting to make Xiao Long Bao for the longest time.
I can buy premade dumpling dough in numerous quantities or numerous sizes. The filling is basically jellied pork stock and ground pork, right? So, what seasonings should I add. I don't have any issues or problems with making a thickly jellied stock, I do it all the time.
>>
>>7380750

Do you use a gelatin packet to thicken up your stock? I'd like to find a way to make the pork soup gelatin without it, more traditional I guess?
>>
>>7380773
Nah, if you do a long, slow simmer (like 24 hours) you'll extract plenty of gelatin. Just make sure you clean the bones/parts well first. I bring them to a boil, then strain and dump the water, and clean them with a vegetable brush, then restart the broth. It keeps scum and impurities from collecting and keeps the broth clean while it cooks for so fucking long.
>>
This thread makes me want to drive into Boston and go to Gourmet Dumpling House, but I don't think I'll have the time any time soon.
>>
Any of y'all have a tried and tested dumpling dough recipe?
>>
>>7380786
You can just continuously skim your broth.
>>
File: you buy pork bun?.jpg (140 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
you buy pork bun?.jpg
140 KB, 1920x1080
Good, you eat pork bun!
Any man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man!
>>
>tfw chinese
>tfw the white man is going to Meme-ize another childhood staple

FUCK La
>>
>>7381035
Evil white man appropriating your culture? Go back to tumblr, faggot.
>>
>>7381035
I wish. Two dumplings, a scoop of white rice, and some choy for two bucks at a fast food joint would be heaven.
>>
>>7381035
>dem culture vultures
>>
>>7381053
>>7381063
>>7381065

>2016: flyovers first discovery that chinese food isn't a subsection of the food court at the mall

Bravo! what will you Kooky cats discover next?
>>
>>7381082

>muh rednecks

wew lad I can feel the Bern!
>>
>>7381082
The fuck are you talking about? I listed takeout from Macau.
>>
>>7380730
>Tfw customers dont finish their dumplings and I eat them

This is gross. Have you ever seen old Chinese people eating? It's the grossest thing I've ever witnessed. And on top of that they use the chopsticks they put in their mouth on the food in the middle of the table so you're basically eating their nasty ass spit.
>>
>>7380730
Ew old dumplings are gross, especially after the inside re solidifies.
>>
>>7381165
the point of chopsticks is for the utensil to not touch the mouth. you are obviously blind.
>>
>>7381212
What the fuck are you talking about? Have you never seen people eating with chopsticks? They always touch the lips...
>>
hey op, you're welcome
https://youtu.be/U5n4uD6TSI0
>>
>>7380632
You see more hip whiteys than Asians eat this shit now. Posting pictures on their blogs like it's the second coming of Christ. Literally the memest of all fucking dumplings.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7381546
Except that it's called appreciating culture
>>
>>7381549
that and they taste fucking great.
>AMG PEOPLE LIKE THEM THEY ARE BAD
this is why i like being a normal, well-adjusted person. idgaf if it's popular or not, as long as it tastes good. i don't get hung up on caring if the cool kids like them or not
>>
>>7380632
I can buy a gallon of this shit in China for $5 usd
>>
>>7381579
fucking weak, i can get 2 gallons. Your haggling/charm skills are weak.
>>
>>7381165
He either works in a rich chinese restaurant or one frequented by whites because i've never heard of a reg chinese who wasted food they paid for
>>
>>7381165
>>7381269
Normally you get two sets of chopsticks, one for taking the food from the baskets or plate etc. and one for actually eating.
At least it's been that way in every restaurant I've been to in Hong Kong
>>
Anyone have a good pork stock recipe, seasonings wise?
>>
>>7382140
I do:
A shallot cut in half
A few slices of ginger
A few whole garlic cloves
A few garlic chives
1 star anise
About half a teaspoon each of white peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick, coriander and fennel seeds

Then adjust with rice wine and any brown sugar.
>>
>>7380681
I prefer leftover filling. It's great for stews. I like to use leftover filling and cook it with black cloud fungus and black rice vinegar and eat it with rice.

Not sure if you know this or not but use a hot water dough, OP. You can't just use any regular dumpling dough.

>>7380786
I find four hours is enough to make a really solid stock.

>>7382140
Star anise is essential. Ginger is important but can be omitted in my opinion because it's in the filling and in the vinegar. I recommend soy sauce because it's much more convenient to have it in the gelatanised stock than to add it to the filling. Wouldn't personally suggest brown sugar but mostly because I've never tried it before and wouldn't know what it's like. My father always uses star anise, ginger, onion, rice wine, soy sauce and sichuan peppercorns.
>>
>>7382094
Yes of course that's technically what you're supposed to do. The serving chopsticks are also often metal so that people don't confuse them and use them to eat with. But have you ever actually seen Asians who eat with their family? The older generation doesn't use those second chopsticks, they just use the same ones they eat with. I'm a /trv/estite and I live on the west coast, I know what I'm talking about here...
>>
>>7384305
When people eat with their families, they tend to know if someone doesn't have Hep A or the flu, though.
>>
>>7384317
That's true. Do you think the guy eating off random plates knows this though?
>>
>>7380632
People on /ck/ don't know how to make Chinese food OP
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.