[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to buy my first knife. What should I be looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: knife.png (528 KB, 3355x3296) Image search: [Google]
knife.png
528 KB, 3355x3296
I'm looking to buy my first knife.
What should I be looking for?
I'm not trying to break the bank, I'm on a college budget.
>>
I suggest a karambit scorched (field tested) its kind of on the expensive side, but the animation is rather fun to watch
>>
File: jiroknife.jpg (17 KB, 776x400) Image search: [Google]
jiroknife.jpg
17 KB, 776x400
>>7379001
Gordon Ramsey, Heston and Jiro both use pic related.
Can't be bad.
>>
>>7379001
How much money do you have to spend?

Can you use a whetstone? Do you have one? What kind of chopping board do you have?
>>
>>7379095
up to 50$
i have regular garden variety wood and plastic boards
>>
>>7379072

Did you remove your name just to post that?
>>
>>7379001
Honestly, Unless you're looking to cook for multiple people for every meal, anything from a department store will be fine. Invest in the better tools later on, when you've got disposable cash, and skills that demand better tools.

This board is way too into knives.
>>
>>7379123

>this board is way too into knives

I know, anon, it's crazy that there are people who cook - sometimes professionally - on the food and cooking board, and occasionally discuss the most important tool in the kitchen.
>>
>>7379115
victorinox fibrox my friend.
>>
>>7379147
>>7379123
Thanks!
>>
>>7379142
And that most certainly applies to your average "I'm new to cooking" poster on this board. And most pros are recommending something like >>7379147 does. Really, it's an important tool, but you don't need a 50 dollar hammer to hang a picture, and you don't need German or Japanese steel for chopping vegetables. Get a serviceable knife, and learn how to keep it sharp.
>>
>>7379249
>and you don't need German or Japanese steel for chopping
Nice try Klaus, but mentioning your crapsteel in the same sentence as superior VG-10 is not going to fool anyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma5IUNMTn0
>>
>>7379282
I'm an American of German descent. I'm also the guy advocating for any old knife from a department store. My most used chef's knife is cheap Chinese shit, and I'm betting I turn out better meals than you ever have or will.
>>
>>7379293
>I'm also the guy advocating for any old knife from a department store

Why, when something that is noticeably better (like the commonly mentioned Victorinox Fibrox) is available for about the same price? You can discuss and recommend knives without having to talk triple digits (or higher) in price.
>>
>>7379293
I'll bet you are. I'll bet you're also wealthier, better looking, smarter, and more successful with your particular choice of sexual partners than anyone on 4chan.

But no matter what you do, your dad will never work for intendo like mine ^(:
>>
>>7379302
I'm okay with that. I come from a long line of self employed DIYers. They've had businesses in radio and tv repair, pottery shops, Baking, hunting guides. We make due with what we have. >>7379299 makes a reasonable argument. To which I will say I can get a cheaper serviceable tool from a secondhand shop for much, much less. If OP wants new, yeah, the Victorinox is well liked.

I'm just saying that a hand me down, or cheap department store knife will work as well for most people looking to make meals for themselves in their own kitchen. Save the money on the knife, and use the saving to get a good honing steel and whetstone.
>>
>>7379001
Tojiro DP Gyuto
>>
>>7379001
14 dollar dexter, honestly, look for your closest restaurant supply store and ignore people trying to sell you crazy expensive shite.
>>
Just get a 10 dollar knife from the store. It won't make your food taste different.

>>7379249
This.
>>
>>7379001

You need to say where ... there are other brands of decent stamped (ie. cheap) chef's knife than just victorinox. US has Mercer, Europe has Icel for instance.

No pretty handles though if you go cheap.
>>
>>7380417
Mercers are trash and can't hold an edge for longer than a day of work.
>>
I have a set of Victorinox and they are very good, I'd recommend them.
>>
>>7379001
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/

Budget recommendation is what >7379669 said but even if you go a different direction reading their methodology and reasoning can help you make your own semi-informed decision.
>>
>>7379001
Fibrox is the tried and tested budget knife. Some chefs stick to them beyond the novice phase, but the handles don't feel as nice in the hand as they could so I'm not sure why.
>>
>>7380468

They essentially tested the factory edge. After you sharpen it once that's pretty much irrelevant, as is their test.
>>
>>7380518
>expecting someone to buy their "first knife" to competently sharpen it themselves

great call

They also discuss how well the knives hold edges, as well as go over sharpening, but sure, shit on everyone without your bushido knife sharpening skillz
>>
>>7380493
some people prefer that feeling but I personally hated it
>>
>>7379147
This one thousand times.

Just picked one up on the advice of some cool dudes here, and I'm loving it so far for the cheap as hell price tag.
>>
>>7380493
>>7380534
It's all about preference, I can see how some people would love the feel of the fibrox handle, but I can also see how some would hate it. It's not my favorite personally, but I like it well enough.
>>
>>7380551

>it's all about preference

This.

My main knife is a Global, and people complain about the handle all the time, but I love the feel of it, and even have good sized hands.

It also doesn't get slippery, so stop saying that it does.
>>
>>7380562
>It also doesn't get slippery, so stop saying that it does.

I don't know why this sentence of your post just made me giggle like a faggot, but it did.
>>
>>7380592

Probably had something to do with the last clause of the prior sentence, mentioning "good sized hands".
>>
>>7379249

Agreed.

Unti l recently, when my girlfriend moved in with me, I lived alone. I only had to cook for myself. Not a lot of heavy prep. Not a lot of butchery aside from breaking down chickens now and then.

I cook at home with an 18 dollar ceramic santoku. It's sharp as hell, doesn't need to be maintained aside from washing, and generally gets the job done.

If I need to break down a chicken or cut really hard, large vegetables like a butternut squash, I use one of my work knives. Otherwise, I only use my work knives at work.
>>
>>7379001

you should be looking for psychiatric help.
>>
>>7379001
I'd get the one recommended by America's Test Kitchen. The victorinox. I got it at about half the price of my wusthof and it holds a blade much better. I'm a total knife pleb who can't sharpen to save my life though.
>>
I have been cooking professionally on and off since my teens (diner, Dennys, short order, southern bbq, steak house) and I don't understand people bellyaching over this or that knife.

Best knife is the cheap one with the white plastic handle from restaurant supply. About 13" long nice weight, cuts great and it was $20.

But what do I know, I just cook for a living. I always notice its the home cooks that tend to be snobs about such things.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.