[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ I have a question for you. I've been watching some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1452737504237.png (287 KB, 540x489) Image search: [Google]
1452737504237.png
287 KB, 540x489
/ck/ I have a question for you. I've been watching some cooking videos and such lately and I keep hearing them mention you should never put your cooking knives in the dishwasher because it will "ruin them". I've also heard this IRL as well but whenever I ask how it would supposedly ruin them I get a "it just will" or occasionally some retard spouting "it'll ruin the temper" which is complete and under bullshit unless your dishwasher is using Satan's piss to rinse your dishes.

So what's the real answer because I see absolutely no way how a dishwasher could ruin your knives unless you're an idiot that lets them smash against each other in the utensil bin.
>>
>>7376259
It's probably just that, people letting them smash against each other in the utensil bin. Still, it is more convenient to just wash them in the sink, it takes all of 10 seconds.
>>
>>7376259
>under
*utter
Damn head colds.

>>7376270
Sure but if I've got a load ready to go, sometimes I'll stick them in if there's room.
>>
Back in the day handles were and continue to be comprised of wood. Wood needs special care, a light oil wipe. long periods in a dishwasher remove the oil and dry the wood out causing it to shrink and become loose over time.

Modern composite handles pose no such problem and are dishwasher safe.
>>
>>7376285
That makes sense but all the videos I've seen they were using composites.
>>
I have some knives that will rust when you leave them wet for too long - i guess thats why you should not put them in the dishwasher. And i thouight about another think - that the soda you put in the dishwasher has an effect like sandpaper on the edge of the knive making it dull .... i guess?
>>
>>7376351
>I have some knives that will rust when you leave them wet for too long - i guess thats why you should not put them in the dishwasher.
Dishwashers have a drying cycle for a reason. Unless you live in the middle of the rain forest it wouldn't matter.

And i thouight about another think - that the soda you put in the dishwasher has an effect like sandpaper on the edge of the knive making it dull .... i guess?

You really think all those chemical engineers would spend millions developing new formulas to have them scratch your dishes and silverware all to shit?
>>
>>7376379
wow, what's wrong with you?
so why are they telling ppl not to put the knives in the dishwasher even though they spend millions on developing the best f*cking soda there is and they have an amazingly drying cycle? (and i'm sure the knives i have would be spotted with rust despite the drying cycle and there is not much needed to dull a cutting edge - some cleaning particels flying around in the water is enough to have a smoothing/sandpaper like effect)
>>
>>7376415
>so why are they telling ppl not to put the knives in the dishwasher
Because it sounds like /ck/'s version of fuddlore. Something that somebody said 50 years ago and people just kept repeating until everyone thinks its true. The anon mentioning wooden handles is the only thing so far that actually makes sense.

>what's wrong with you
Nothing, I'm a machinist by trade so I think I know a bit more than you do about how metal reacts to different things. Everything you said was just retarded because the powder they make dishwasher detergent out of isn't hard enough to scratch carbon steel if you're even still using a powder based detergent and I've run my knives through the dishwasher dozens of times without so much as a spec of rust. Maybe you should stop leaving your dishes in the dishwasher for days on end if you think they'll rust in a normal wash cycle.
>>
>>7376540
>wooden handles is the only thing so far that actually makes sense.
Most knives have wooden handles, I'm not sure why you're acting as though this is a non-reason.
>>
File: sdadas.png (2 MB, 1905x796) Image search: [Google]
sdadas.png
2 MB, 1905x796
>>7376554
>Most knives have wooden handles
Yes, just look at all that wood.
It's not a non-reason but it's case specific and wooden handles are fading out very quickly.
>>
>>7376563
>wooden handles are fading out very quickly
It's not the 90s anon, global isn't all the rage anymore and outside of pro kitchens where there are other considerations, home users have come to realize that wood is nice. Partly because it's perceived to be (and is) used on high quality knives, and partly because it is aesthetically pleasing and pleasant to touch.

Also, the same issue applies to horn, which is in one of your images.
>>
>>7376540
not every knive is made out of carbon steel and even if the powder in itself is not hard enough to scratch metal it's a high pressure envirenment in there.... even the smoothest stuff can scratch if it's under the right amount of pressure.
maybe your knives are just made out of metal that does not normally rust? mine start to rust if i leave them wet for ... two or three minutes. and nooo i don't leave them in the dishwasher for days, i don't even put them in the dishwasher.
even if you are a machinist by trade, knowing about how metal reacts to different things won't help you if you don't know what the "thing" is that is happenig to the metal....
It's really no fun writing with you.
>>
>>7376605
inb4 "carbon steel is fading fast" and something about weeaboos
>>
>>7376605
>made out of metal that does not normally rust
My knives are carbon steel, they'll most certainly rust. And if the powder was flying around fast enough to chip a steel blade then what do you think it would do to your china which is much more brittle and prone to chipping?
>>
>>7376605
Almost no kitchen knives are made from carbon steel, as the vast majority are stainless.
>>
>>7376613
?maybe there is some misunderstanding going on? - chipping and scratching sounds like too much and too big of a damage i never meant - i am talking about really really tiny "scratches" that only affects the really really small cutting edge, smoothing the edge out - damage you would only see under a microscope thingi or something...

after a quik google search - it's should be not recommended because of salts, leach and acids in the detergent that reacts with iron containing knives making them rust and porous (well there is a bit more to it but i can't translate that)
>>
>>7376656
That's not how that works.

>salts, leach and acids in the detergent
Also not how that works, what the fuck are you reading?
>>
>>7376669
some article of a cooking show(a pretty serious one, not one of these attention seeking drama cookingshows), explaining why you should not put your knives in the dishwasher :D

but as i do know that metal will react with acids making it porous (larger of surface) wich is bad for a cutting edge, i think it makes sense that the knives certainly won't profit from putting them in the dishwasher - i don't think a dishwasher will brake any knives but i can imagine there can be a bad combo of wrong kind of metal for the wrong kind of detergend making the knives live shorter and more sharpening intensiv.
i don't even have a dishwasher so i will stop caring now.
>>
>>7376695
There's a lot of shit inside dishwashers that can be very bad for metal. Heat, salts, and oxygen is a great was to get some good rust going.
>>
>>7376706
Not nearly enough of any of those three to cause rust on stainless. 150 degrees F is basically still room temp as far as steel is concerned. Salts wouldn't be in contact for long enough either since you know, it's a fucking dishwasher. And oxygen by itself won't rust stainless, it needs a catalyst like lots of heat or a salt bath.
>>
>>7376720
Not with good quality stainless steels no, but even the best can have impurities, non-homogeneous patches, and surface precipitates that wouldn't be noticeable until they start corroding.

And even then stainless is only rust-resistant, not rust-proof.
>>
>>7376833
Unless it was basically pot metal poured in China, that's a non-issue because it can and will lead to the foundry getting the ever living fuck sued out of them.

>hurp a derp it's only resistant
I know that, but the conditions needed to rust stainless steel far exceed anything you'd see in a kitchen unless you decided to toast some soaking wet salt at 500 degrees in the oven and accidentally your knife in the bowl.
>>
>>7376842
Even the best manufacturers in the world can't avoid imperfections. All the material certifications in the world won't prevent it. It's a serious enough issue that even the DoD assumes the preexistence of defects in the material when they calculate the service life for airframes.

>foundry
Also, that's not how they make sheet metal.
>>
>>7376880
My point was that all of those imperfections and impurities still have to be within certain ranges or whatever the steel is can't legally be called what they were trying to make.

>not how they make sheet metal
Yes actually it is Mr. Smarty Pants. Or did you think they just will 303 stainless into being? They pour massive slabs of whatever alloy they're making and then it gets further refined from there. That's also where those imperfections you mentioned would form, leaving your point stupid and inapplicable anyway.
>>
>>7376880
>>foundry
>Also, that's not how they make sheet metal.
Here, educate yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXtUKYs3tw
>>
>>7376605
What the fuck kind of dishwasher are you using that creates a "pressurized environment"?

Also pretty sure the detergent designed to go in my stainless steel dishwasher isn't going to adversely effect my stainless steel knives. Are you one of those REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CHEMICALS BAD people?
>>
>>7378263
You like fucking dead threads?

You disgust me.
>>
>>7376259
Two reasons.
1. While in the dishwasher, the knife could get chipped or dulled as it moves around and knocks into things, or things knock into it.
2. If your knives aren't stainless, the dishwasher will be shit for them. Same deal for wood handles, even if they're treated.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.