[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Goodwill pan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Pan.jpg (67 KB, 1528x859) Image search: [Google]
Pan.jpg
67 KB, 1528x859
I picked up this wok from goodwill today. 4.99 and blue tag was %30 off today. Anyways I'm not sure what it is made out of. I fairly sure the handles are aluminum.. And I think the pan is. What I'm afraid of is the pan is old nonstick :/

I didn't think it was because the outside is the same dull color with not deep scratches. Just like the inside of the pan. Marks but nothing like old scratched up non stick.

Anyways ..does someone know what I got?
>>
>>7370658
Looks like you got a shitty flat-bottom wok to use with your gimpy electric stove. Good luck cooking anything at all with that thing, I doubt you could even successfully boil water with that combination.

Good thing you only flushed $4.99 down the toilet, it's a shame when people spend actual money on those things.
>>
>>7370658
Looks like carbon steel, fairly well seasoned too.
>>
>>7370665

What do you mean?

>>7370667
It's seasoned for sure but I'm not sure about carbon steal. Any way to find out?

Kinda gross. Going to clean it up if worth keeping.
>>
>>7370675
Just from the look of it. That's how carbon steel looks when it's been well used for a while. Woks are usually made out of either carbon steel, stainless steel or cast iron. It's clearly not stainless or cast iron, so that leaves carbon.
>>
>>7370675
I mean that a flat bottom wok is meant to be "compatible" with electric stoves except that the shape of a wok is meant to be used with a gas flame, so basically you're trying to cook with a 6 inch spot of heated bottom and completely unheated cold side walls, which defeats the purpose of a wok and isn't like wok cooking in the slightest.
>>
>>7370692
The sides of a flat bottom wok still get hot, that's how metal works, it conducts heat. The limiting factor to stir frying at home whether with a round or flat bottom wok is that consumer stove burners don't but out anywhere near the BTUs that commercial wok burners in restaurants do so you won't get the same results.

If you really want to make good stir fries at home, you should get one of those outdoor propane wok burners.
>>
>>7370695
BTU isn't usually the term of choice for electric stoves, but let's ignore that for now. A thin metal wok doesn't conduct heat away from the heating element in any meaningful way for cooking purposes. It is literally just a hot spot the shape of the contact area.

But on to the "BTU" thing. A good electric stove puts out pretty close to the power of a commercial wok burner. This is why a home electric stove boils water so much faster than a home gas stove. That doesn't really help when you're trying to heat up a metal surface 8 inches away from the heating element though.
>>
>>7370715
>But on to the "BTU" thing. A good electric stove puts out pretty close to the power of a commercial wok burner.
No it doesn't. Not even close.

Electric burners are also usually less powerful than gas burners. Most large electric burners on home stoves push around 2500 watts which translates into around 8500 BTUs which is actually lower than the largest burner on most home gas stoves which push around 10-12k BTUs.

Commercial wok burners push upwards of around 100k BTUs.
>>
>>7370751
Some push 100k BTU. Some push more. But more commonly what you'll see in a commercial kitchen is 15-20k.

Either way, if you are talking about 100k BTU gas burners, I don't understand how you could possibly defend a flat bottom wok on an electric coil stove. Get a grip.
>>
>>7370769
I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that on a home stove, it really doesn't matter whether you use a flat or round bottom wok on an electric or gas stove. Either way it won't be getting hot enough to duplicate the results you'll get from cooking on a commercial wok burner.
>>
>>7370658
>buy used teflon pan
>it's scratched

hope you like cancer
>>
>>7370775
you just use a big 12" flat bottomed stainless steel pan with a tight sealing lid and you attain the same results.

Farberware and Cephalon both make good models
>>
>>7370675
Check if it's magnetic.
>>
>>7370776
>Teflon

Retard.
>>
>>7370665
>Cast-ironfag detected
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.