[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on shakshuka? what should go in it, what spices, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
Opinions on shakshuka?

what should go in it, what spices, what toppings

should i kill myself
>>
>>7369319
Stolen land and whataboutism: the food
>>
>>7369319
>Opinions on shakshuka?
>what should go in it, what spices, what toppings
>should i kill myself

Good stuff.

As a base, I've used fresh or canned tomato, and I've done it with a puree and with diced. Just cook it down to get the consistency you want. I like to brown the shit out of onion, bell pepper, and garlic alike, before I add the tomato to cook down.

As for spices, I go with salt, pepper, cumin, than add some chili powder and a bit of cayenne.

Garnish with green onion, and serve with bread. This is an excellent meal with corn bread.
>>
>>7369319
whatever floats around your fridge I´d say.
yesterday I made one with chorizo and eggplants, a couple of weeks ago with leftover roasted mutton an red bell peppers.
For herbs or spices, I´d say definitely chopped parsley, cumin if you´re in the mood, paprika, Oregano, marjoram,thyme,etc...
the only obligatory things for me are eggs and the tomato based Sauce.
>>
>>7369359
it`s a very versatile dish, of course you can make it it veggie-only (apart from the eggs) but i`m a bit of a carnivore, so I always like to add some sort of spicy meat like the chorizo
>>
>>7369319

I prefer eggs in purgatory to shakshuka.

It's basically the same, but sticks to just garlic, black pepper and chili flakes for seasoning the tomato sauce you cook your eggs in.
>>
Dishes like this always make me think that traditional cooking is kind of a goof. It's one of those universal dishes. Literally 'a mix' where you basically just throw whatever you have into it. Every culture has this same kind of dish. Why don't we stop using all these stupid bullshit names like "shacksocks" or whatever and just call it a fucking mix. Or something. It's just stupid and backwards in a modern, secular world.
>>
>>7369388
Everyone laugh at the flyover with a chip on his shoulder about religion.

Protip: if you move somewhere secular, le superstitious christfagz can't force you to pray to le invisible sky father
>>
>>7369319
So fucking good. Bowl of rice, spoon two/three eggs in and then cover in the sauce. Top tier m8.
>>
>>7369319
>shakshuka in a cast iron pan
oh no.. buddy...
>>
>>7369396
Anon I know that "secular" is a big word for people like you and that's okay, but please at least use google to learn what it means before posting.

It means that something is worldly, or in other words beyond cultural or national bounds. In this context it means using a 'secular name' across all nations for these types of dishes rather than closed-minded old-language names that vary across the world but all mean the same thing.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (32 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
32 KB, 448x252
>mfw no one has said to add harissa paste
>>
>>7369396
The only people pretentious enough to use "secular" more commonly live in one of the coastal containment zones.
>>
Extreme amounts of sweet paprika.
>>
Shakshouka/Eggs in Purgatory is great with some diced bacon that is first browned and then left to simmer in the tomato sauce a bit before you put in the eggs.
>>
>what should go in it, what spices, what toppings

whatever you want, just make sure your shakshuka is off the hookah
>>
>>7369540
CHEF JOHN
>>
>>7369424
>Le cast iron is literally more fragile than fine china meme

A bit of acid isn't going to ruin your cast iron, as long as you're not making the sauce from scratch in that pan. Probably wouldn't be the end of the world even if you did
>>
>>7369600
just add a pinch of cayenne
>>
>>7369885
elderberry wine spiked with arsenic, strychnine and just a pinch of cyanide.
>>
Reminds me of Huevos Veracruz:

http://www.anotherpintplease.com/2014/01/what-on-grill-294-huevos-veracruz.html
>>
>>7369319
Go home Chef John, youre shit posting again
>>
>>7369427
>Waaahhhhh the semantics of a dish's name don't agree with my worldview, everyone change your language just because I said so!

That's what you sound like. Shut up.
>>
>>7369928
>This is Chef John from Foodwishes dot com.... wiiiiiiiiiith............
>>
>>7369928
Chef John is the best
>>
>>7371402

>FRESHly grounnd black pepper
>>
A waste of eggs
>>
>>7371434
ur a waste of ur moms eggs
>>
i prefer menemen desu but thats because i prefer scrambled eggs
>>
Love shakshuka. Easy to make, stays good in the fridge for a long time, filling, and reasonably healthy. I keep mine pretty simple. Brown onions and bell peppers, throw diced tomatoes and tomato paste, let reduce a bit and get to the right consistency. Cumin, curry powder, cayenne, and cracked pepper. Toss them eggs on and let them cook to your preference. Boom. Easy peasy. Works well as a topping as well for things like grilled chicken or fish.
>>
I like to puree the tomato sauce a little bit before I add the eggs. Not to the point of being totally smooth, but so that it's more easily dippable with toast/bread.
>>
THE MIC RULA
>>
>>7369346
This but i like to use coriander as well at the end.
>>
>>7371695
THE OLD SCHOOLA
>>
>>7369319
I use fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried chili flakes, paprika powder and fresh coriander in my shakshuka. Always turns out nice.
>>
>>7371666
This is what I do. When I started making shakshuka i used chopped tomatoes and quite often it would turn out a bit watery. Pureeing the tomatoes is a good idea.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.