[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I learned about Perpetual Stew some time ago and decided
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: bread_PNG2322[1].png (4 MB, 2217x1061) Image search: [Google]
bread_PNG2322[1].png
4 MB, 2217x1061
So, I learned about Perpetual Stew some time ago and decided to make in in my own ( lazy ) way. That is, whenever I make a stew, I store some of it in the freezer and use it as a stock next time I make a stew. So far the stews taste much more wholesome than they did before.

Today I'm making bread ( glorified pizza dough with some seeds and oat-flakes ) and I got to wondering, could you do the same with bread? I do know of sourdough but keeping it is a hassle. Could I take part of the bread-dough I make today, freeze it and make a new bread of it later ( and not use yeast in the new bread ). Would it work?
>>
It would be easier to have a starter that you keep in the fridge, unless you bake infrequently. I bake all my bread, so me starter is being fed twice a week.
>>
>>7368758
That's just it, I don't bake very often. I did read some people got good results with starter in fridge for up to 6 months but ehh... I don't think I'd be able to keep it alive and I'm too worried about contaminants.
>>
Freezing will sometimes kill yeast and sometimes not, but unlikely to work. Keeping a starter is way easier than you'd think, about on par with remembering to feed a goldfish.
>>
>>7368803
Oh, I was always instructed to store yeast in the freezer... so far haven't had problems with it.
>>
>>7368803
Maybe I'll see about the starter. Mom's moving into the same city and I know she has some, she'll be glad to share it I think.
>>
>>7368834
Making a starter is as easy as mixing flour and water in a 1:1 ratio, and adding a bit of yeast and letting it ferment for a little while in a plastic tub.

Over time, the store bought yeast will be replaced by local yeast, but you can use the starter immediately regardless. Freezing wet yeast might kill some of it because of ice crystals, but not all of the yeast.

Feed it by adding flour and water in a 1:1 ratio, and if you don't take some out for baking, eventually you will have to throw most of the starter out to keep it fresh.
>>
>>7368858
Okay, you make it sound far easier than the articles I googled for it did.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.