[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who actually works in the food service industry here? I worked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11
File: img_2770.jpg (796 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
img_2770.jpg
796 KB, 1936x2592
Who actually works in the food service industry here?

I worked dish for a couple years, then I did prep for about 6 months until I became a garde manger after our the one we had left. Hoping to move up to hot side within a year.
>>
Tfw owners wife's son gets hired and given hotside.
>>
File: 1zvtx4z.jpg (4 KB, 203x72) Image search: [Google]
1zvtx4z.jpg
4 KB, 203x72
>>7366953
I did eight years in the airborne infantry and a few years in ranger units.

Afterward, I did contract security and became a paramedic to be further marketable.

My interest in food came not from profession but from interest and joy. I love harvesting my own food and creating delicious dinners for my family and friends.
>>
>>7366968
I know this isn't related to the thread, but did you do any tours of duty? Were you a POG? What was your MOS?
>>
>>7366982
11B

I parachuted into combat while the enemy was shooting at me. I believe that exonerates any accusations of being a pogue.
>>
File: 570118478.jpg (514 KB, 1024x960) Image search: [Google]
570118478.jpg
514 KB, 1024x960
>>7367221
>I parachuted into combat while the enemy was shooting at me
>>
>>7367251
>being this new
It's that drunk ex-military guy from michigan, he'll post his whole life story but I promise you REALLY don't want to know

And yes he's been in combat

But you really don't want to ask about his life story. Please, just don't do that. It's better for all of us, including him.
>>
>>7367265
so, in other words, its all made up.
cool.
>>
File: 1393640436387.png (2 KB, 239x258) Image search: [Google]
1393640436387.png
2 KB, 239x258
>>7366953
>>7366968
>>7367221
>>7367265
Notice how all of these posts share a distinct lexicon. If you're going to samefag at least put some effort into it.
>>
>>7367269
No, I've cyberstalked him based on images he's posted because I got in an argument with him once
>>7367277
>implying I'm a welfare queen
Bitch I went to a good school and come from a good family, I didn't need to join the military to see the world
>>
>>7366953
I worked as dish for about 6 months, then got thrown onto pizza (at a pizza restaurant) as one of 2 dudes on pizza. Service was manageable, but since we were European style the prep fucking killed me. Switched over to the front of house, barbacked for a while and now I bartend. I prefer that to any BOH work I did, and I'm making way more money than I ever did.
>>
File: 1440091507980.jpg (25 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
1440091507980.jpg
25 KB, 600x455
>>7367281
uh huh. sure.
>>
>>7367287
What was it like to do FoH? Did you have to put on your happy mask and serve assholes all the time? What was the worst you had to deal with?
>>
>>7367316
The barbacking gig was nice, because if I was feeling social I could be social, but if I wasn't I could just put on the whole "silent barback" act and put my head down.

I've never had to deal with anybody in FOH who was worse than a chef, and the bad people leave in fairly short order. If shit gets really bad behind the bar, you can always just cut somebody off and they'll usually leave. The whole happy mask thing never really bothered me because I kept my cool under pressure (as you have to fucking do on a line) and the bar is more liberal in terms of the tone and language you can use with your customers.
>>
>>7366953
4 months in a hipster organic burger bar as line "cook" basically grilling burgers and shit. Was a lot of fun actually, great people, open until about 4am.

4 months in french bistro doing prep work and some cooking during brunch service. That was aight.

8 months doing catering gigs after that when I got a 9 -5 job. Pretty sweet deal. $20/hr to show up to a wedding, make some fucking crabcakes, and steal a few shots from the bar
>>
I currently work part time on this expensive bakery chain in Cincinnati. It's alright.
Only temporary hopefully
>>
i've worked at this little contemporary American bistro for almost 6 years. started as a dishwasher, moved to prep and some light cooking during lunch, graduated to salads when we quit doing lunch and moved to a bigger building, and eventually got thrown onto saute. that was about 3 years ago, and at this point i've taken on several more responsibilities including unlocking the restaurant in the morning, dealing with deliveries, ordering product, doing the bulk of the prep work, make pastries and desserts, plan specials, work saute station, and run expo when chef isn't around. i'm not really sure what you'd call my title at this point. sous chef maybe?
>>
in the same way
food services are really tough jobs in Japan
if you do not like it, cant carry on working i think
but nice foods make us happy ^o^
that it
>>
>>7367640
What part of Japan?
>>
>>7367646
tokyo >o>
>>
>>7367660
That's cool. I was in Sapporo for a few days, but I didn't get to see much. I'd love to actually come visit someday.
>>
File: 4837593784.jpg (130 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4837593784.jpg
130 KB, 1280x720
I work for a little family owned ramen shop as a cook.

>tfw your friends all tell you they never see you smile as much as you do when you're working
>tfw your girlfriend says you look so happy working

Guess I found my calling.
>>
Ive worked in the industry for about 3 years now. My last job I left as head of the line for a really slow dinner shift but it was still a good load of responsibility and I learned a lot.
I go to a local cc majoring in Culinary Arts just so I can get a tangible degree out of all this.
>>7367640
>>7367660
Im assuming youre Japanese? How hard would it be for a foreigner to get a kitchen job? Assuming they spoke Japanese and had a student visa?
>>
>>7367688
Those are great feels, Im happy for you dude. Before I started working in restaurants I was pretty lost, theres something about the work that makes you feel good.
>>
>>7367568
i did pretty much the same but for a couple thai restaurants instead. Now got my hours where i want them and have decent job security. Pretty fuckin cush if you ask me.
>>
>>7367688
Love those feels. I am happy as fuck when I'm at work. Just don't let it get to be your whole life. I loved it too much, was working 110 hours a week, never saw my gf at the time enough and although we were really close she understandably left me. I have a better balance going on now and a new of who works in the industry, so things worked out, but you need to watch for that.

Anyway, right now I'm a sous chef at a fine dining modern american restaurant. Absolutely loving the opportunity to have more creative input on the menu and such.
>>
>>7367688
I want to live your life.
>>
File: IMG_20160211_222507.jpg (3 MB, 2468x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_222507.jpg
3 MB, 2468x2304
Been cooking professionally for about nearly 10 years. Been everything from prep up to executive chef. Right now I'm helping an Asian fusion restaurant write a new grill menu while I wait for an associate to open his new restaurant where I'll be his kitchen manager.

Pic related. It's a grilled duck breast with chili, lime and cilantro. Hoping to fine tune the new items in time for valentine's day.
>>
I'm a dishwasher/cashier/utility guy for a combination bar-grille-Mediterranean place. Sometimes I get to make easy shit like hot dogs and fries. I spend most nights killing my back and my hands doing endless fucking dishes though.

I'm not a huge fan desu. It's a lot more work than my last job as a retail cashier, and I make slightly less. The up side is that I get free food and a few bucks under the table in tips every shift. My coworkers are all nice too and I genuinely feel bad about fucking up or not being able to show up for work.
>>
>>7367801
People really don't realize how much work and hard ass labor goes on in restaurants. It's the most stressful career I've ever had and I've thought kindergarten.
>>
ive worked 3 years at a mexican place, and it was my first real job at the age of 23. I started as a dishwasher at 9.50 an hour (plus 5% of the total tips of the night) and eventually earned a few raises after becoming a prep cook, busser/host and still being the dishwasher. After my boss fired our old kitchen manager for being a perpetually pissed off italian man the chick i work with became the manager and i became a line cook. Now i make 15 bucks an hour and the work is honestly pretty stressful, but i like it. its a tourist town so the summer turns into a full on clusterfuck and everyone hates it. i even cried once because a customer said she could tell the old kitchen manager didn't work there anymore.

It's been an amazing experience and my boss (a total libtard) pays us way too well. Im thinking about culinary classes at a nearby uni. i am a former engineering school student. i know nothing about menu design and i can barely get a steak cooked to the right temperature, but i know some killer mexican recipes now.
>>
>>7367839
i fucked up because im drunk. im 23 now and got the job at 20. sage
>>
I've been bartending 12 years, and now am fortunate enough to operate a bar program at a cool restaurant. It's nice to have it all essentially pay off and I am basically getting paid to do my hobby.
>>
>>7367854
how well do you get paid? still working the bar and making tips? or just managing.

brewer here thinking of opening a beer bar down the road... but might get into consulting/running a craft beer program if it makes sense (is easier and pays well)
>>
>>7367799
Nix the chilis, make a chili lime relish for the top of that instead, garnish with cilantro or basil leaves. Basil would probably be better.

I know you didn't ask, but it's hard to turn off work even when I'm not there, and you said you weren't done fine-tuning yet so I took that as an invitation for feedback. Also duck is too well done, but since it's an Asian fusion place and you're probably serving Asians, they don't really like medium-cooked meat so I guess that flies.
>>
>>7366953
So, everyone looking forward to Valentine's day? Anybody's restaurant doing anything cool for the day?
>>
>>7367964
Nope. Just being open. But I work at an airport so there's not much point in doing anything special anyway.
>>
File: guy2.jpg (30 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
guy2.jpg
30 KB, 630x354
Been doing it five years now I think. I staged in my friend's kitchen and got a glimpse of what a real kitchen with sous and stations looked like.

Right now I part time at a pizza place and a theme park, mostly do prep work but recently the theme park job has been 75% throwing away rotten food then leaving early because its so slow. I started because my previously mentioned buddy got me a job in a dive bar kitchen as a dishwasher and then I learned my way up.

Honestly sick as fuck of the low pay but I have no experience in anything else. I want to learn how to own a restaurant/bar some day and just put poor bastards through everything I've been through and make huge bank from their torment.
>>
server here. worked at a couple sports bars for about 1.5 years. its probably the funnest job ive had. you work with fine bitches and then after work you all party and fuck each other.

BUT i dont think i can do it anymore. the party is impossible to escape. i cant resist the blow and alcohol when the bitches want to party.

Was fun and made a bunch of money. spent the money just as fast. e z job if ur outgoing and look decent
>>
>>7368014
fuck you FOH

No but seriously bro get out of the FOH rut those cunts will make you a lifer like them and being a partyboi will screw you in the long run. I work with so many blow out bitches who waste their rent money on booze and blow then complain that they are having to suck dick to keep from being evicted. It's pathetic. Don't be like them man.
>>
>>7367269

>implying war isn't real.
>>
>>7368002
You'd earn more money being a shit kicker out on a construction site, work would probably be more fun and have some variety.
>>
>>7368503
Giving up your life to advance the agenda of the Jewry is modern war.
>>
File: dough.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dough.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
Bump
>>
File: 1451756549773.gif (1 MB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
1451756549773.gif
1 MB, 245x184
I was 'chef' at a small chain pub. Nothing too fancy, just sold overpriced 'authentic' and 'rustic' English pub food to posh twats. Half of it came out of the freezer.

>when 1-2 people cooking 70-120 meals an evening
>head chef would finish early and leave me to clean up
>no porter
>14 hour shift and back in again 8 hours later
>nearly minimum wage for backbreaking work

It's hard fucking work and I'm under no illusions that I probably had it easy compared to some people.

mfw I now work in IT in a comfy 9-5 office job.
>>
File: 1345515277717.jpg (7 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
1345515277717.jpg
7 KB, 210x230
Thats wierd. I did hot side before garde manger (didn't know how it was spelled thank you).

It is probably different for me because garde manger at my restaurant is one of the folks who reads the tickets and gives all days.

Dishwasher for 8 months. Glad to meet another on the path of righteousness OP.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.