[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
making a roux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Roux_bianco.jpg (385 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Roux_bianco.jpg
385 KB, 1600x1200
hey cu/ck/s,
whenever i make a roux with just oil/fat and flour, it seems to come out lumpy most of the time. however, when i first start with some veggies in the pan (usually finely chopped onions, also sometimes carrots or celery), and oil/fat as well, then add the flour, it seems to prevent the lumps from forming in the roux.

is this just a coincidence, or is there something that is working to prevent lumping? in either case, what am i doing wrong to cause the lumps to form?
>>
>>7366499
Coincidence. Just use a whisk and whisk the fuck out of it to get the lumps out.
>>
Too high heat, not stirring enough.

Then again, I make large batches of roux at work using the oven and it always comes out fine.
>>
>>7366511
It doesn't break when you do it in the oven? Do you make a very dry roux, or what?
>>
>>7366499
how quickly are you incorporating flour? the same technique that prevent women from being mocked for having lumpy oatmeal is used in everything. incorporate slowly and stir continuously. also do not create unnecessary temperature differentials when mixing ingredients unless you are supposed to, ie cold water for flaky pie crust
>>
to visualize. developing starches from things like flour, the friction between the particles is doing all the work in processing that starch. so there needs to be a balance between water incorporation and friction. too much water at once, no friction and the starches dont process. too little water at a time and poor technique will lead to uneven processing
>>
replacing water for fat in a roux
>>
>>7366806
>>7366813
You remind me of the poster that was trying to sauté with water instead of oil.
>>
>>7366734

You melt the butter, stir in the flour on the stove, throw it into a 350 oven, and break it up/stir it around every 15 minutes or so until it reaches the color you want.

Yeah, it's dry and crumbly, but it keeps just fine on a shelf and works just as well as freshly made stuff.
>>
>>7366499
>what am i doing wrong to cause the lumps to form?

Using the stove top instead of the oven.

Mix your oil and flour in a bowl until it's absolutely smooth, then toss that shit in a cast iron pan and into the oven at about tree fiddy, and then just monitor the color and give it a courtesy stir every half hour or so.
>>
>>7366499
try replacing oil with milk

is pretty gud
>>
>>7366499
1) place X butter in vessel and apply middling heat until melted
2) place 1-2X of flour in the vessel and stir until incorporated then continue for another minute
3) turn off heat and slowly add fluid of choice, stirring constantly until sauce formed
4) restart heat and simmer for 15mins

the roux itself is never going to be smooth, but once you add fluid, then just keep stirring until it's lump-free
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMtbX-0ABA
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.