[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making Chili
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: iu[1].jpg (69 KB, 388x309) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
69 KB, 388x309
The abnormally warm winter is finally getting cold. I want to make chili and do not give me that shitty cringe thread chili as advice pls.

What constitutes a good chili to /ck/?
>>
>>7364687
Gotta say rk beans, there's just something about that beany starchiness that really makes it. Sprinkle a bit of cheddar too, grind some fresh spices and puree some dried chilis.
Damn, I was gonna make burgers with my last 1/2lb of meat but now I'm thinking chili...
>>
Ground meat. Ketchup. Chili peppers. This is how you make a good chili.

You can also add garlic if you want. I prefer it without.
>>
>>7364687
Good chili is whatever tastes good to you. It has so many variations, just make it according to your own taste. I like beans and corn in mine, chunky tomatoes and onions, plenty of heat from habaneros and jalapenos, and some cheddar and/ or pepperjack cheese. Corn chips are my choice for scooping it up with, but saltines work too.
>>
whole meat in medium pieces, dried pasilla or anchos or fresh good chili powder(Gebhardt or Ancho), plenty of fresh hot peppers(usually 4-5 jalapeno 2 habs, and a cross section of whatever else is good, and lots of garlic/shallot/onion. Cumin. oregano. I like a roasted marrow bone in there too

browned up nice with a piece of suet, stewed slow until the meat is fork tender. eaten over rice or in tortillas with herbs and cheese or whatever

I'll often add beans or other veg and experiment. mushroom chili is dynamite, as is black bean and corn.
>>
>>7364687
Just remember, ground beef in chili is like ground beef in tacos. Not bad but literally every other meat option is better
>>
Try putting in a bit of bakers chocolate and some nice cinnamon as under tone flvors, makes the chili taste pop!
>>
Every time I make a slow cooked pork shoulder I save 2 pounds of meat, so I always have some left over. I like to add that in and use ground turkey or diced chicken instead of ground beef (nothing against beef).

Like >>7365293 said, mushrooms and corn are good, if you use canned corn make sure to drain and wash it.

Instead of using canned tomatoes/tomato puree buy fresh ones, roughly chop and throw them in. I slow cook mine overnight, so they've dissolved quite well by the time it is all done.
>>
File: 1435903476827.jpg (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435903476827.jpg
56 KB, 500x500
>>7365226

Does it smell like touchdowns
>>
>>7365370
I'm curious as to why you would use the turkey or chicken in chili? Both have very mild flavors that would easily be covered up by the seasonings added.
>>
>>7365383

Chicken chunks is for the texture and I find ground turkey to be just as flavorful as ground beef.
>>
>>7364687
http://blogs.msmvps.com/lduncan/2004/10/26/my-soon-to-be-world-famous-3-meat-3-bean-guinness-chili-recipe/

I've been making small tweaks to this guy's recipe for years. More Guinness, different meat ratios, slightly different spice blends, Venison instead of beef,... But it's a great starting point. I actually have some leftover from the game that I'll be having for lunch.
>>
my secret ingredient is sugar free pancake syrup...
>>
>>7365383
White chili with chicken and/ or turkey is good. I don't care for fowl in my red chilis.
>>
>>7365405
Mine is Chinese spicy mustard.
>>
>>7366470
You're thinking imitation wasabi, which is Japanese and not Chinese.

The Chinese mustard is just that. mustard.
>>
>>7364687
Ground pork/beef, tomatoes, red pepper, ground cumin seed, chili peppers, paprika powder, black pepper, onion, garlic, kidney beans, salt, oregano, cacoa powder and a little bit of vinegar. I use olive oil and finish it with some cheese, tortilla chips and jalapenos (in vinegar).
>>
>>7364687
https://twitter.com/ridojiri/status/691179645111173120
https://twitter.com/ridojiri/status/691197604617523200
mine. substitute the cabanossi [for my japanese audience] for bacon or something
>>
>>7365226
Corn in chilli is something i've never heard of
>>
Just make spag bol without the spag, add beans and chillis.
>>
>>7368499
I have made chili with corn too, on occasion. The sweetness and juicy texture goes very well with chili, IMHO.
>>
>>7364687
>finally getting cold
We had a 20 degree jump screw you.
>>
Looking to replace ground beef in my red chili, would turkey work?
>>
I put corn in my chili
>>
>>7368934
No. Eat something besides chili if you can't handle it.
>>
>>7368953
"can't handle it"?
Mate I fucking love the stuff, just trying to explore my options for cutting down on red meat.
>>
Would pork like this work in chili?
>>
>>7368958
The day I can no longer eat a bleeding steak with an ice cold beer is the day they should be reading my eulogy.
>>
>>7368966
If by pork you mean beef then yes.
>>
>>7368966
I've used pork in chili. it was fine. Not as good as beef, but go for it.
>>
I'll share how I do it so these guys can bitch about it.
>pound of ground chuck in the pan
>as the fat renders out add thinly sliced onion, jalepeno and habenero peppers, cook them down
>add a couple tablespoons of chili powder, some salt.
>add a can of crushed tomatoes, then a can of kidney beans and black beans, drained of juices
>let simmer for a bit to soften the beans.
>>
>>7368981
Ok, I have some and hadn't quite yet decided what to do with it yet ( and I like chili ).
>>
>>7368984
WTF?
>>
>>7368991
Don't do it. You'll regret it.
>>
>>7369009
No, you won't. Seriously, just about any meat is fine. It's actually great for tough meats. I've used beef, pork, goat and lamb, all with fine results. Beef is obviously the superior choice, but the goat was really fucking good.
>>
>>7369037
Negative in a big way, partner. Do not swap out from beef. You will regret it.
>>
>>7365332
>pop
>>
>>7365332
That's what Guinness is for. Don't ruin any more chili.
>>
>>7365405
Diabetic detected
>>
>>7365381
Only if you
DO
IT
LIVE,
son.
>>
>>7368984
Mah niggah.
>>
>>7368984
You don't brown the meat on oil first?
>>
>>7364687
You should substitute the meat with shit. Basically shit and beans
>>
>>7369095
Creepy breh
>>
>>7364687
Whatever you mix in, don't forget some masa harina. It'll thicken it up and add a really good flavor. Don't add it directly or it'll clump up, add it as a slurry.
>>
>>7369266
Almost forgot to add, mix that last, when the chili is pretty much done.
>>
>>7368980
>>7368981
Is beef the superior meat for chili in general? Why is that?
>>
>>7369272
The beans already thicken it up a ton tho
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.