[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which knife has the superior steel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: aospwagy240sh_9.jpg (106 KB, 1280x857) Image search: [Google]
aospwagy240sh_9.jpg
106 KB, 1280x857
http://www.echefknife.com/yoshihiro-super-blue-high-carbon-steel-gyuto-japanese-chef-knife-rosewood-handle.html?___SID=U#horizontalTab2

Or:

http://www.echefknife.com/yoshihiro-super-blue-steel-clad-stainless-steel-gyuto-chefs-knife-shitan-handle.html?___SID=U#horizontalTab2
>>
>>7363943
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Straight-Chefs-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2

Don't waste money unless your goal is to look like a pro sushi chef.
>>
It depends. But you just wanted to start a knife shit flinging thread. Suck all the dicks
>>
>>7364061
Not at all. I really want to know about the two knives. The price after discounting is the same. However, prior to discounting the less expensive knife looks to have the better steel which is confusing. It's marginally harder and lists being better than more types. What does it depend on?
>>
>>7364068
What's your actual use case and purpose with the knife?
>>
>>7364072
1 knife for the rest of my life and not have to buy another.
>>
>>7364075
Just get the Victorinox. Super sharp, durable, comfortable non-slip grip that's easy to clean, and 1/10th the price.
>>
>>7364091
I had no bias going into my knife buying browsing. My research brought me to this page:
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/indexall.shtml
Japanese knives are way better at the same price points. Sounds weaboo but true nonetheless.
>>
>>7364104
They're different, not better. Different edge profiles, different steel. If they feel better in your hand and work better for you, more power to ya buddy.
>>
>>7364104
Even so, you don't need to drop $300 on one.

Get an $80 MAC, Tojiro DP or Fujiwara FKM
>>
>>7364148
$80 MACs are shit though

Go Ultimate or just settle for Tojiro Double Penetration
>>
>>7363943
>Which knife has the superior steel?

They're both Aogami super blue. One says it's hardened to 64-65HRC while the other says 65-66. You won't notice the difference in use.
>>
>>7365114
One says "Aogami Super Steel", the other says "Super Blue High Carbon Steel". This isn't just laziness about naming standards. If you look at their other knives, some are specifically one while others are specifically the other. Furthermore, the 65-66 knife says better than blue steel #1 and #2. While the 64-65 knife only says better than blue steel #1. This suggests that maybe the 64-65 knife is blue steel #2 and not super. What's most confusing is that the pre discount price of the 65-66 is actually less than the 65-64 knife. All of this could be pedantic but if you're looking at spending $300 on a knife, the minor details become important.
>>
>>7364104

God that website is atrocious. What is this, 2001?

Those Japanese knifes are pretty no doubt but I'm not sure how I feel about those handles. Something with a little more ergonomics might go a long way for significant use.
>>
>>7365572
>Implying steel formulation is that important as long as it's good for the task
>Implying the heat treat technique isn't the important part
>>
File: 1347420821004.jpg (56 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
1347420821004.jpg
56 KB, 400x398
>implying you're not gonna sperg out and buy 15 barely different 8" chefs knives anyway
>>
>>7363943
they are the same steel, one is slightly harder than the other which is not relevant and the first one is a sandwich construction with stainless cladding
>>7364134
They are the exact same steel at the edge. the top one is stainless clad
>>7364068
They are exactly the same steel at the cutting edge
>>7364068
>What does it depend on?
marketing and your preference
>>7364104
depends on your needs.
>>7365114
right
>>
>>7365572
Aogami super/Super blue/Hitachi super blue are all the same thing.

Aogami literally just means blue paper.
>>
>>7363943
I want to kill myself.
>>
>>7363943
Did people go silent just because I said that I wanna kill myself?
>>
>>7365572
>This isn't just laziness about naming standards
That's exactly what it is. Whoever wrote the descriptions decided to call Hitachi Aogami super by 2 different names.

>Furthermore, the 65-66 knife says better than blue steel #1 and #2. While the 64-65 knife only says better than blue steel #1. This suggests that maybe the 64-65 knife is blue steel #2 and not super.
No. Aogami super is sold as an upgrade from Aogami 1, which is an upgrade from Aogami 2.
You have your ranking backwards.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=Aogami%201%2CAogami%202%2CAogami%20Super
>>
>>7364068
The bottom knife looks to have better finishing on the spine and choil, which are rounded and polished instead of left rough.

This website doesn't list anything important like spine thickness or blade height, which you'd need to know to get an idea of the sort of blade geometry each knife has though.
>>
>>7365851
That's fascinating! Tell us more.
>>
>>7365852

no1curr.jpg
>>
>>7365748
>They are the exact same steel at the edge. the top one is stainless clad
I was referring to the difference between euro and japanese knives, not OP's two, if you paid attention to the quote chain.
>>
If you feel you need a Japanese knife, I recommend a an Ikkaku Donryu gyuto; I use one for work (sushi bar).
They're cheap, durable, and hold a pretty good edge. The western-style handle also feels better, in my opinion. With a stone, you can get it razor sharp, cutting through thick cuts of meat in a single pass.
>>
>>7365996
>razor sharp
Razor sharp is good for sushi I guess.. It's not the best edge for general food prep though.
>>
>>7366006
In my humble opinion a convex or scandi grind is best for general food prep.
Cutting meat is best done with a slightly "toothy" edge also, so give the strop a miss on your butcher knives and just use a steel to finish.
>>
>>7363943
Stupid discussions like this happen when you let nerds in the kitchen. An expensive trendy knife won't make you a good cook. You don't need one for making macaroni and cheese from a box, anyway.
>>
>>7366279
>An expensive trendy knife won't make you a good cook

Clearly. But a good knife makes prep work easier and faster. It requires less frequent sharpening than a crappy knife, and can be more of a pleasure to use if cooking is your hobby. If someone was wanting to spend significant money on a knife then it makes perfect sense to research your purchase before dropping the cash. It's no different than guitar players looking for the best strings, video gamers looking for the best controller, etc.
>>
>>7366279
>I'm poor and only know people who can't cook
>>
>>7366314
That said, being expensive doesn't necessarily make it a better knife.
>>
>>7366384
Agreed. that's why I said a "good" vs. "crappy" and not "expensive" vs "cheap".
>>
>>7366384
That said, just because some people desire expensive stuff they don't need doesn't negate the difference in quality

Look at all the people in Florida who rent Ferraris to cruise around at 20mph. Or dentists who buy $10k road bikes to go on 30 mile once a week rides as long as it's sunny and 75 degrees on that particular Sunday
>>
>>7366398
>Look at all the people in Florida who rent Ferraris to cruise around at 20mph. Or dentists who buy $10k road bikes to go on 30 mile once a week rides as long as it's sunny and 75 degrees on that particular Sunday
And it's certainly their right to waste money to look like a twat.
>>
>>7364055

Neither of those are sushi knives.
>>
>>7364075

Even your run of the mill Euro knives like Victorinox, Wusthof, non-Walmart Henckels, Mercers, and the like should last a lifetime if you maintain them well.

I had a chef instructor, an old German dude, who still used a kit of Victorinox knives he bought in 30 years ago.
>>
where's the neckbeard who said his dull ass pocket knives are better than any cutlery when you need him.
>>
>>7364075

Even carbon steel is going to be chippy at HRC65, the handles are not super durable either (easy to replace though).
>>
>>7368886
The best part of that thread was when he got ass blasted and started spamming pictures of his fat hands slashing pieces of paper with his pocket knives
>>
>>7370214
link
>>
How do people feel about Shun blades?
>>
>>7373920
Alton Brown likes them, so they're probably pretty decent.
>>
>>7373920
I like them. People on here will poo poo vg 10 because they don't know what they're talking about.

I use one for work, because:
It's replaceable, if it get stolen or broken I can get another for a resonable price
Its stainless
I like the handle
It's decently made and will last an age, I've had mine for 5 years in a commercial kitchen.
VG 10 is one of the sharpest stainless steels

Why people don't like them
Harder to sharpen than other stainless's
a bit overpriced
some wankers think only super Aogami #2 is good enough, they're wrong
>>
>>7364061
>But you just wanted to start a knife shit flinging thread.

What is the best knife / knife type and why?

Keep in mind that metal based cutting utensils are primitive and will be replaced in the short-medium term future - you are literally just monkeys hurling shit at each other.
>>
reminder if you aren't familar with at a minimum the mohs scale or stress-strain graphs, you know literally nothing about knives and any opinions or beliefs you have are invalid
>>
>>7374280
>What is the best knife / knife type and why?
The one that fits your hand well, holds a good edge, and doesn't break from non-abusive use.
>>
>>7374018
Thanks! What are the best types of stones to use for sharpening a Shun blade? I got one of the Shun Kaji series and I want to take care of it properly.
>>
>>7374464
epic copout passive aggressive answer
>>
>>7375189
The "best knife" is going to vary from person to person. What handle shape and material do you prefer? Do you care about having a pretty damascus blade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__79jxIZaj4
Ultimately what it comes down to is your skills with the knife, not the blade itself.
>>
>>7375477
>vague, condescending reply
>refusing to commit to a specific answer even though anonymous
>mealy mouth references to damascus pattern as if to deny that steel differences are more than cosmetic
Spot the poorfag trying to explain why he doesn't have anything nice
>>
>>7373920
Shun is overpriced for what you get. They're pretty and work perfectly fine though.
>>
>>7375548
Because there is no best knife you shit.
>>
>>7375571
No one thinks there is, in a literal way.
You're still poor.
The best knife is clearly Mac ultimate and you don't know shit about cooking
>>
>>7375611
A skilled chef with a $5 knife will always be better than you with a $500 knife.
>>
>>7375635
You're not a skilled chef, despite your $500 knife

Since I can afford ingredients that aren't just Government Cheese and powdered baby formula, I'd make better food than you even if I was just as shitty as you at cooking

You have to know how to cut an onion in order to cut an onion. Onion powder doesn't count, poorfag. But you wouldn't know since you have never seen one.
>>
>>7370214
twas classic I wonder if anyone has some screen shots or archived it or anything like that
>>
>>7375894
So much projecting in this post, it's delicious.
>>
File: c20160221.jpg (75 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
c20160221.jpg
75 KB, 600x600
I want a knife like the one Morimoto uses
>>
>>7377831
I've been to morimoto, the food is really good but you'll be disappointed to know they use shitty ass wusthof carving knives, and shuns

The kind of cuts required for that picture do not require anything special, btw
>>
>>7378191
This is the dumbest shit I've read on this board since the last McTroll post.
>>
>>7378202
Spot the wusthof user
>>
>>7374653
Just use a bench stone. A two stones or a two sided combo stone work fine if you won't be doing any major regrinding. Something like 1000 grit + 6000 grit is ok.
>>
>>7378191
It's almost as if the chef's skill matters more than how fancy the knife is!
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.