[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is stew to /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 1455154117357.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1455154117357.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
Okay, so I fucking love stew. Grew up on the shit. Grandma's stews were the shit, and since she practically raised me, that's what I ate. Soul food was her specialty.

To her, stew was whatever you had lying about, thrown in a pot, and cooked for a long period of time, add roux, simmer, and serve. That's how I've always made stew.
There were never any recipes required, and it almost never tasted the same. But it was always melt in your mouth, comfort food that kept you full for most of the day.

What is stew to you glorious faggots?
Pic related, current stew... Stewing n shit.
>>
File: 1449343830139.gif (2 MB, 238x178) Image search: [Google]
1449343830139.gif
2 MB, 238x178
>>7363711
whats in your stew you fag
>>
I have a friend who makes a delicious stew. It's this chili-like stuff, but there are beans in it. Sometimes I think I might like it even better than chili.
>>
File: stu.png (180 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
stu.png
180 KB, 320x320
>>7363711
>>
File: image_13.jpg (16 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image_13.jpg
16 KB, 320x320
You fags pay attention here because I'm gonna teach you how to do my grandmother's stew. Not OP btw, but I also ate a fuckton of my grandma's stews.

The recipe here is only a coarse guide. Because we are so poor we could not afford fresh ingredients every day so a lot of improvisation was used.

The eggs and meat stew

>take hour crock pot
>put two onions chopped in the bottom
>put six or more potatoes chopped
>put a pound of diced chuck
>then out two cups of water, salt, pepper and some garlic
>turn that shit on low for six to eight hours
>half hour before the end of the preparation put two servings of linguine pasta
>stir after it's done, the potatoes should crumble and disappear forming a thick soup

Serve for loved ones. If you are feeling fancy serve with some bread croutons.
>>
>>7363732
>>7363736
Chicken stock
2 chicken leg quarters.
Salted pork belly
Carrots
Celery
Green bell pepper
Onion
4 Potato's
Corn
And green onions.
Aka, what I had lying around.

Virtually no seasonings but salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme.
>>
>>7363752
On fuck forgot about the eggs.

After its done put four or five diced hard boiled eggs in there. The yolk of the eggs has a deep flavor and the stew will be more tasty.
>>
>>7363711
stew and soup are basically a delicious way to make use of the bits and bobs of animals and vegetables that would otherwise go to waste
>>
Guys serious question here. Do you prefer soups and stews more creamy or more liquid?

I work at a buffet that serve a little of everything. And every Friday we do not serve meat (Catholic country you know), just fish and vegetables soups and stews like lentils, potatoes and carrots and noodles. And I some days do them more creamy, almost like mashed potatoes and other days like ramen.

But more than once people complained about the stew. Saying that it was too creamy or too liquid.
>>
>>7363776
it shouldn't be thick like mashed potatoes, but it shouldn't be watery like ramen either, you want an almost gravy texture to it
>>
File: 1455155674961.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1455155674961.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>7363776
I have to have my stews pretty thick and creamy. I just added my roux, plus some sour cream for texture.
>>
>>7363776
I like my soups really thick, but mashed potatoes is way too thick even for me.
>>
>>7363785
>>7363790

OK thanks. I'm pretty new so it's hard to make the food taste the same every time. Thank God that our clients are mostly construction workers who do not care about minor details. Otherwise I wouldn't have a job.
>>
>>7363776
You want a nice middle ground, because soup/stew with the consistency of mashed potatoes or ramen both sound terrible
>>
>>7363776
>fish
>not meat
Lazy catholic pricks
>>
File: 1455157645957.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1455157645957.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
Stew is done. Partially skimmed to reduce fat n shit, and serving with white rice. It's gona be tasty.
PS I don't know why my camera is gay,but it is.
>>
>>7363879
How do you skim it? My mom used to put in the fridge and after was cold took the fat with a spoon. You do the same or there are better ways?
>>
File: hbb sketti.gif (309 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
hbb sketti.gif
309 KB, 300x400
>>7363879

>you know it's done when it sticks to the wall
>>
Am I the only one who like to use lean fast cooking meats like sirloin in my stews?
>>
>>7363879

>using gay as a negative modifier

ur privilege is showin
>>
>>7364662

nice try faggot
>>
>>7364662
I'm gay and shut your face

then check your privilege
>>
Basically whatever I throw together, I find my stews share a lot of cross over with my curries.
In fact a stew is basically a thick soup while a curry is a thick, 'exotic' spices soup in my mind.

As you can probably tell, soups/stews aren't my specialty.
>>
>>7364662
Everyone is a faggot on 4chan
There's newfags and oldfags, Wisconsinfags and Frenchfags, and most importantly, straightfags and gayfags
And everything is gay too
>>
>>7364621
No. You can make a 20 minute stew that way. Cook your meat, Caramelize your veg in the same pan, deglaze, add cream, serve.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.