[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this Maillard Reaction? Because to me tasted like overcooked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: cooking007.jpg (345 KB, 772x964) Image search: [Google]
cooking007.jpg
345 KB, 772x964
Is this Maillard Reaction? Because to me tasted like overcooked as fuck. Is the maillard reaction a troll?
>>
>>7363034
1. It only really shines through with red meat and duck

2. You let the meat hit room temp first and salt the ever loving fuck out of it
>>
>>7363034
The browning (alone) is the Maillard reaction, that has nothing to do with the fact the the rest of the meat is super-overcooked.
>>
>>7363037
I wasn't following a program desu. I let the meat sit for an hour and a half, but I salted it when it already was in the pan. Thanks tho

>>7363039
Well so can you have what, maillard reaction and undercooked meat? Or does a proper maillard reaction already implies the meat is good to eat?
>>
>>7363047
You can have a Maillard's reaction and undercooked meat, but only if you had a thick as fuck steak and seared it. The reactions would happen on the surface of the meat, but the inside would be overcooked. However, that is not the case with your picture, where the meat cuts are very thin.
>>
>>7363037
It makes no difference whether the meat is room temperature or not. If the meat is uniform in temperature, all parts of it need to have the same amount of heat energy added in order to bridge the distance to the target temperature. Reducing that distance by 15 °C does not make any difference because the distance is uniform and it will be bridged anyway by the cooking process.
>>
The maillard reaction just refers to the searing, with things like meat that's usually done by cooking at a high temperature with thicker pieces so that the searing can occur quickly without overcooking the inside.
>>
>>7363034
You probably didn't brine your chicken. For better caramelization pour a little bit of fruit while it's cooking so that the sugars help with the maillard reaction.
>>
>>7363100
Fruit juice*
>>
>>7363066
From what I understood you are supposed to salt the meat then let it hit room temp and make sure the salt liquifies for a proper maillard. The difference was noticeable IMO. Was I told wrong?
>>
>>7363034
Dulce de Leche is a perfect example of Maillard Reaction
>>
>>7363107
>you are supposed to salt the meat then let it hit room temp
I've studied heat transfer and this is just an old wives tale. Making sure the surface is dry makes a bigger impact as the evaporation of liquids takes up more heat energy than merely heating up the meat.

The salt does not 'liquefy' as much higher temperatures not achievable in your kitchen is needed to melt salt.
The logic behind this: What salt does is trigger osmosis, a process which draws further moisture out of the cells. This moisture collects on the surface and you can blot it away with a piece of paper towel, resulting in an overall drier surface and thus better Maillard reaction. However in reality, the amount of moisture brought out by the tiny amount of salt is negligible. This is only relevant when you want to cure meats and in this case you literally bury the meat in salt for very long periods of time.

TL;DR salt it during cooking, before or after, it makes no difference and you can cook it straight from the fridge OK

Look into baking soda if you want a shortcut to the Maillard reaction, I don't want to overload you with boring technical stuff.

Good luck in the kitchen, OP!
>>
>>7363166
Thanks for the tip I'll look into it.
>>
>>7363117
but does it taste good?
>>
File: pffftstem.gif (140 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
pffftstem.gif
140 KB, 630x354
>>7363166
>he doesn't know how to cook steak because he's an autistic engineer
>>
>>7363034
>Is the maillard reaction a troll?
Are you fucking retarded
>>
>>7363100
>>7363106
or just use a few sprinkles of powdered sugar.
>>
>>7363166
there are many more effects with the osmosis in fact. after several hours it reaches a saturation and another effect starts. don't pin me down on that, you can easily google it and i'm too lazy right now.
nevertheless I'm worrying way more about another interaction which is left out all the time: osmosis of (salted/not salted) meat in hot oil. I think I don't need to show proof this is happening as you can easily make a sauce from the leftovers in the pan. I'm aware the major part is liquid leaking from the meat, but if I can preserve some of the flavor by some technique, I would be definitely on for it.
>>
Let's see if this link works.

books.google.co.uk/books?id=bKVCtH4AjwgC&lpg=PA779&ots=qXLHdgR5ld&pg=PA779#v=onepage
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.