[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Missing richness in my pasta sauce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 0
Last night I made another attempt at making a good pasta sauce. However, there is something missing. I hope you guys could tell me what.
Basic recipe:
cut + fry garlic and onions
Add minced meat
Add wine, reduce
Add carrots
If enough time: add tomatoes, else add passata.
Add tomato paste
Reduce to right thickness
Season and add herbs (my favourites are basil or thyme)

What can I do to add that extra bit of flavor to make the source really worth it?

Pic unralated.
>>
red wine
>>
You first brown the meat. No onions and ESPECIALLY no garlic at this point. They would just burn. The meat needs to really get a crust. You need that roasted meet flavour. When the meat is almost done, season it. Otherwise the meat will still taste bland in the sauce. Just salt, pepper, paprica, herbs and NOW you can add the garlic and onions. Throw in some bay leaves. Then add a bit of wine (the better the wine, the better the sauce).
Now add in any additional shit you want. Olives, dried tomatoes, carrots, whatever. Then comes the passata. Now let this simmer for a good while. I sometimes even add a bit of water at this early stage in order to give the tomatoes a chance to really boil for a while. You want to turn some of that acidity into sweetness.
>>
>>7362294

or now that I see you added red wine, add more red wine. and butter.

I've added plenty of white wine to myself this evening.
>>
>>7362285
See the food wishes recipe, the milk part seems like it would solve your problem
>>
>>7362301
Found the link
https://youtu.be/jMj8lNdFqV8
>>
>>7362297
Thanks for the help. Would it be worth it to start out in a frying pan and to switch to the Dutch oven later to get more colour on the meat?

>>7362298
How much wine should I add? And butter seems like a good idea, too.

>>7362303
Thanks mate, I'll have a look at it. Sounds similar to a friend of mine, who adds cream to his sauce.
>>
>>7362297
basically that
>>
i splash of milk. not joking :) just a small splash
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.