[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't tell if it's out of date or not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
Hey guys,

I've been working in the kitchen for about 4 years now, but I haven't handled much of fish. Because I am mostly working a lot of the times I never eat at home.

I bought this pack of smoked salmon and I cannot tell if it's off or not, I have been storing it in a plastic container that seems waterproof but might also be air tight as well.

This smoked salmon is a good 1 and half maybe 2 weeks old, but it looks still soft, still doesn't smell at all any different since I opened it and it's been mainly in the fridge.

My fridge is also fairly cold it's on 5 setting out of 7. I don't know what degree it's at but water droplets freeze over night if that helps.

The salmon itself only secreted a bit of liquid that feels fairly oily and i feel like that is normal?

Can anyone help? I will upload the pics in a second.
>>
The tub. This one is actually from my work that we order in from a major supplier. They seem to be very good quality plastic containers that we store food in.
>>
>>7362268
smell it

if it doesn't smell like rotten fish you're good to go
>>
Salmon.
>>
>>7362272
I don't know if you got much experience, but it definitely hasn't changed in smell at all. However, do you know if changing the tub would help, into another dry container to preserve it better?

The salmon is fully soft everywhere, no hard or dried up bits.
>>
>>7362274
That really doesn't even look like a lot of salmon. If you make it tonight or tomorrow it'll be fine
>>
>>7362275
It's a 2 liter tub just FYI. I mean for one person it definitely feels like a lot. It comes in rectangular packages, vacuum sealed on a big salmon skin and you have loads of strips of salmon you can just pick out by hand.
>>
>>7362268
From my experience fresh salmon will last about 4-6 days in a fridge, i imagine smoked would be a little bit longer. changing containers always helps extend, if in doubt eat a piece and make yourself sick before you serve it to the public.
>>
If you have 4 years of kitchen experience you should be able to tell if something is off, even if you don't usually work with fish.

Look at it, smell it, if it seems okay, taste it.

You'll know whether or not it's still good after you taste it, and if you're not sure, it's not good.
>>
Don't know about the salmon but that pic sure is out of date
>>
You cannot generally smell or see whether a food product is dangerous to human health when ingested.

The only way to ensure that food is safe to consume is to follow food safety protocols that are known to ensure food safety.

There is no other general answer to your question, in part because the freshness and hygiene of smoked salmon is variable. There have been many studies and tests in various countries which have shown that some store-bought smoked salmon is not safe to consume for at-risk populations after 1 week of storage in the refrigerator. However, the situation has partly improved in the past years due to these findings. The main culprit tends to be Listeria, although other pathogens have been found.
The general advice is that smoked salmon should be consumed within 3 days after opening and the rest tossed.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.