[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are so many chefs fat slobs who smoke a pack of cigarettes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
Why are so many chefs fat slobs who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day?

What about the profession attracts these people?
>>
The food?
>>
>>7359881
Being a chef is one of the few existing jobs where you can be a tatted up disgusting ugly slob of a person and actually expect to advance, because literally no one but the other people in the back have to suffer through the sight of you.
>>
File: 1453135928064s.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1453135928064s.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>7359896
>tfw fat greasy tattooed pig fuckers are preparing food
>>
File: kingjack_bigcuckbite_140.jpg (418 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kingjack_bigcuckbite_140.jpg
418 KB, 1920x1080
You don't have to be a chef to be a fat slob that gorges on food for a profession
>>
>>7359896
>have to suffer

cry moar you faggot dumbshit fucktard childish idiot moron

>no seriously.
>>
>>7359881

Don't know a lot of fat chefs but after years in kitchens and restaurants I can safely say that 90% of people who work in the industry are chain smoking alcoholics with healthy drug habits, and the only reason for that is the constant stress, working in a kitcheb with 5-10 people is stressful as fuck because it's chaos, everyone is in a rush, shouting at each other and waiting to get a break to just relax a little with a bump and a smoke.
>>
>>7359911
>Im a tatted up disgusting ugly slob of a person
>>
Because the restaurant business is tough?
>>
>Hurr Durr fat chefs are great cook cause they know food and eat so much.

No they don't those fuckers don't know how to control their own eating habits and portions for themselves. I admire someone like Ramsay greatly, not only did the fucker do Ironman but he's one of the greatest chefs in the business.
>>
>>7359881
You dont go into the industry fat already. People like that will never work in high end places. You can GET fat from decades in the industry, but most top chefs are skinny mofo's. You have to be in order to handle the hours and constant moving around that comes from this job
>>
Fat slob cigarette smoker here.

I became a chef because I was good at it and I didn't have any other employment skills.

Being a chef is a super easy job. By far the easiest work I've ever done.

Also, I'm highly successful. Just would like to add that in.
>>
File: 1451414548793.jpg (25 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1451414548793.jpg
25 KB, 250x250
pastry cook here. Thinking to switch careers I don't really care which career I just want to get out of the kitchen the people I put up with are fucking unreal
>>
Ex-Cook here, worked in a 3-Star Hotel in Florida.

I honestly contemplated suicide toward the end of my 2 year stint. I gained 80 pounds, I picked up smoking from the other chefs, my legs killed me every night, and after work I drank myself to sleep.

Being a cook is fucking hard, you're getting chewed out by sous chefs (fuck those guys) and asshole servers and unless you have Union tenure all you can do is listen and say yes.

A lot of chefs and cooks are slobs because after work you either want to gorge yourself on food and/or tank a 6-pack.

If it wasn't for bartending I'd either be working construction or maybe just dead. It's so much easier and way more enjoyable to stand around and make small talk with rummies then be their fucking bitch. I also have to have a good appearance now so I'm only 20 pounds overweight instead of a 100.

So in answer to your question chefs are fat and gross looking because the job is stressful and you're in the back of the house so your appearance doesn't matter.

The greatest chef of our time Robuchon looks like a fucking hobbit and decided to retire because he saw that his peers were dropping dead in their 50s.
>>
>>7359936
>how predictable

actually no, I bet I can have 10 times more pussy than you, dipshit

>don't even get me started about money
>>
>>7359989
If you're a grill with a nice personality and cute be a server or bartender. You get tips and your experience as a pastry cook is appreciated in any decent restaurant. BTW if you're male you just need to look nice (handsomeness is always appreciated but not required).

If you're repulsive or have shit personality go into management or cook in a buffet where work is so much much easier.
>>
>>7360016
Do you like being bartender? How is the pay? I know that most of bartenders pay goes from tips but is job enjoyable? How are the hours?
>>
>>7360029
I am 20's white male

>patriarchy

But idk I am not fat or my face is ugly or some shit, idk maybe 5/10? I never rated myself anyway, same goes don't know my personality as well can't tell people how they perceive it
>>
>>7360034
I like it a lot, it's a job where no two nights are the same. I meet new people and I meet regulars and I get to know a little bit about them over a few hours. What I really hated about being in the back of the house was more or less the same patterns happening over and over again. No two bartending nights are the same.

Concerning tips it all depends on where you're working at the time and place. I've left work with 18 bucks in tips one night and then $300 the next night. Which makes budgeting tricky but I get by.

>>7360042
You're a young man then you should be good. Honestly look yourself in the mirror and be honest. I'd say it's better to have a baby/nerdy face then the look of an angry guy. Ask yourself would someone want to walk up to you for a beer, if yes then you're fine.

It's not about Patriarchy so much as it is filling the role that your bar or restaurant expects from you. I'm tall with a wide frame so I carry the trash out, move kegs, and if need be get beligerant guests out of the establishment or under control. You can't expect that from a 120 pound blonde.

Women need to look attractive because men think with the wrong head. My coworker who I work shifts with effectively does the Girlfriend experience with the single guys who come in. Takes pictures with them, gives them hugs, does shots with them. For a good hour and a half she's frankly a giant cocktease as they spend all their cash and tip her big. My role is to be friendly toward women (who generally don't like interacting with my coworker) and to be a bro with the guys. My tips are lighter of course but I'd rather be doing this then go back to cooking.
>>
>worked in kitchens for 6 years
>non smoker, /fit/

Have seen at least 3 people pick up smoking though, because it relieves the stress/only smokers get breaks
>>
>>7360016
someone knows about Robuchon here... didn't expect that...
>>
File: u pay 4 sex.jpg (11 KB, 150x218) Image search: [Google]
u pay 4 sex.jpg
11 KB, 150x218
>>7360028

>obviously regretting the fact that he got tattooed
>>
>>7360028
Oh shit, everyone look, we got a fuckin badass in here
>>
>>7359889
literally
/thread
>>
>>7360028
Found the teenager
>>
>>7359918
this
>>
I was in very good shape before I became a cook. Didn't smoke, didn't drink often (mainly with a meal from time to time), and exercised regularly. Over a decade of 60+ hours in a 100 degree kitchen (averaged through the year) being bitched at by up to 4 bosses in one kitchen who want everything done differently from one day to the next because they smoked too much weed to remember wtf they told you the day before and don't much care to be consistent anyway, 20 customized dishes coming in all at once, oh and the printer wasn't on, so they're 6 minutes down already, and the heat lamp is broken, so you're going to have to get all your plates screaming hot and your oven pilot is out, so you should probably get on that now, and don't break the hollandaise sauce by plating on plates that are too hot.
I now smoke a pack a day and am overweight from lack of exercise, too much booze, and general idgaf about that anymore.
>>
>>7359881
Because kitchens will hire anyone
The turnover is ridiculous due to stress, physical punishment, shitty hours & abuse so it's not uncommon to find ex cons in a kitchen
Anyone can be taught to cook, the real struggle in hiring is finding someone who's dependable & has the mental fortitude to put up with the job.
>>
>>7360028
>not knowing how implications work
hi pleb
>>
>>7360028
That's one way to spot a neckbeard
>>
>>7359881
As others have pointed out it's a stressful job where the only thing that matters is your ability to keep the kitchen turning out good food under crushing time constraints. If you can do that you're a success, and no one will really give a fuck about your appearance, your personality, your addictions or (for the most part) your bad behavior. So you can get away with a lot as long as you don't crack under pressure.
>>
A lot of us cooks take up smoking because it is the only break you get. Non smoker cooks usually don't get a break.
>>
Never trust a skinny chef
>>
>>7361172
>never trust people with self control.
>>
>>7361215
No. Never trust a skinny chef. What's wrong with your brain?
>>
>>7359945
>Ramsay
>one of the greatest chefs in the business

Pick one.
>>
Because its a very demanding job.

Its also a low skill job, at least in low to mid tier restaurants, and generally will be filled with degenerates who are barely functioning adults.

Source: Worked as kitchen manager at a somewhat upscale restaurant.

Chefs would come and just follow premade recipes all day long.
>>
>>7359989
Whats your favorite thing to make/signature dish?
>>
File: ensign kim.jpg (98 KB, 1083x696) Image search: [Google]
ensign kim.jpg
98 KB, 1083x696
must be the stress of the job
>>
>>7359881
>chefs
>smoke and are fat

That's what happens to people constantly under a lot of stress. That or coke.
>>
I dont think there are more fat chefs then skinny but I think the fat ones are more then likely the "administration sit on the computer except maybe during the rush" type so they basically get office body while eating all fucking day. Another reason could be they drink, smoke, and have shit metabolism due to lack of sleep because unless you're just a loner most people will attempt to still have a life outside of work while doing 14-16 hour shifts.
I personally gravitated toward the profession because I grew up with older brothers and am used to the "locker room" talk and love the fact you earn respect and its not a place for the faint of heart. You have to have more then just the desire for a check to put up with the demands of a kitchen job. Plus id shoot myself if I ever had to work an office job from pure boredom and being unchallenged.
>>
>>7359881
I smoke weed every single day of my life. From sun up to sun down I am always hitting' the green. You know the best part? I do it all while working at a 5 star restaurant. Make bank smoke dank nigga
>>
>>7361388
Dude cocaine is SO FUCKING PREVALENT in restaurant kitchens.

Id never even seen coke before, and I did a ton of drugs, until I started working in a kitchen at this Pei Wei.

EVERYONE was on coke in the kitchen, even the godamn kitchen manager. They would take turns going out back, snorting up and then smoking cigs.

If you are ever looking for coke the BEST place to start is just a restaurant kitchen.
>>
>>7359881
Regular people become chefs. Being a chef turns them into that.

What plumber wants to do his job for 12 hours a day just to come home and find out that he has to fix his toilet? Same with chefs. A lot of the chefs I know exclusively eat out.

Chain smoking comes with dealing with other chefs and bus boys that think you can just have a meal already made the second you get the order.
>>
>>7361395
I remember when I was a teen. I miss those days. Cherish them while you can.
>>
>>7359969
cool
>>
>>7361395

>five star restaurant

Okay kiddo
>>
>>7361097
I hate how true this is. Working 12 hours straight without even taking a piss because the heavy smokers are gone.
>>
>>7361402
My first day in most kitchens I was asked if I did coke. It gets pretty old being the only person with the mental capacity to handle stress at restaurants.
>>
>>7361839
I was a nice guy and smoked by the line so I could be called back, and I always gave breaks to nonsmokers. I don't smoke anymore though, and I don't take breaks anymore unless I need to shit either. But then again the place where I work is a fucking gravy train and I am now ruined for high volume. My management are idiots and my coworkers are lazy though, so I'm shocked I haven't picked up smoking again. I did love it...
>>
>>7359881

because everyone who works back end is a hate filled degenerate that will eventually become sheev
>>
>>7361843
same thing for college work too
>hey man, how much adderal have you been taking to cram for the exams
>oh, none, I actually just managed my time well and did my work.
>>
>>7361881
Amazing how that ends up working out, isn't it? I polished off my first two years as a 4.0 helping my classmates achieve better scores along the way. I instructed them more than the professor. They always asked how I was able to know so much about the material (biology major). I simply told them the truth - I studied.

The kicker was I would study until I knew every single thing then I would get hammered. But everyone only saw me getting hammered. They were puzzled as to how I knew so much on exam day.

Just fucking study. Ya?
>>
>>7361874
>hate-filled
check
>degenerate
Not really, but I am a pretty crude person.
>become sheev
UNNNNNLIMITED.... POWAAAHHHH alsofuckfoh
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.