[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello friends, i'm going to experiment with making my own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: o-BEEF-JERKY-facebook.jpg (354 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-BEEF-JERKY-facebook.jpg
354 KB, 2000x1000
Hello friends, i'm going to experiment with making my own beef jerky as it's insanely expensive otherwise.

I'm going to buy myself a brisket and cut it to strips.

Anyone got a good jerky marinade they want to share?

Also, does anyone in here have experience with drying your jerky in an oven? I don't have a smoker nor a dehydrator
>>
>>7358077
I've done it in the oven before, overnight at 60 degrees C.
Marinade in honey soy, garlic, chili etc.
>>
>>7358077
Why not a cheaper cut of beef, if cost is one of your primary factors?
>>
>>7358133
Like what? Brisket is some of the cheapest I can get here. If I had to go cheaper I should use ground beef or something
>>
>>7358077
if you're going to use brisket only use the flat, the point end would be horrible jerky.

my go to for jerky is eye of round
>>
you can make nice jerky from cheaper meats and it doesn't even need to be bovine meat

imo when starting out it would be wiser to test different kind of marinades of your own on cheaper meats until you get it just right and then focus on the type of meat you like best
>>
>>7358429
Hm, I'm not even sure what cut eye of the round would be in my language
>>
>>7358147
I use flank for my jerky without any marinade other than salt and pepper. Tenderize the meat with a mallet before hand so it's all soft and doesn't ruin your teeth.
>>
File: IMG_3120.jpg (310 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3120.jpg
310 KB, 960x720
I've done beef and turkey on a dehydrator, marinate is usually very similar, base is soy sauce, and then just add whatever you have laying around that will add flavour.
>>
File: IMG_3118.jpg (262 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3118.jpg
262 KB, 960x720
>>7359857
Also, make sure to remove all of the fat, otherwise you're gonna ruin your jerky.
>>
File: asfa.jpg (206 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
asfa.jpg
206 KB, 1024x614
OP here. I've now cut my meat and its marinating in the fridge.

Gonna be starting up tomorrow
>>
>>7358077
Use the box fan method aka Alton
>>
>>7358077
I've tried it, it's okay but not as good as chuck. Find a chuck roast that's reduced for quick sale and use that. Put it in the freezer until it just firms up, and slice it thin. Soak it in a mix of soy sauce, Worcestershire, and a couple of drops of liquid smoke. You can add whatever you want to it, but it makes a good base. As to using the oven it works fine, just google it.
>>
File: 20160210_065630_HDR.jpg (741 KB, 1196x2125) Image search: [Google]
20160210_065630_HDR.jpg
741 KB, 1196x2125
do jerky at least once a month, close to getting the salt just right in the marinade
>>
How do you know all bacteria are killed in your jerky
>>
>>7360105
you don't, they die in your manly stomach.
>>
If you only have one oven grate, and perhaps not enough space on it for all the strips, can you just do a baking tray lined with paper to run another batch at the same time?
>>
>>7360105
You dehydrate at 71°c.
>>
>>7360032

My mom does this. Makes the whole house smell like shitty spices. And for some reason hers comes out all stringy and tough instead of nice chunks
>>
Is jerky the most intelligent snack in the world?
>>
>>7360127
wont that cook the jerky? Or do you do start on 71 and then decrease later on?
>>
>>7360176
It comes out perfect every time. When you sun-dry it probably gets even hotter than 71°C.
>>
>>7360123
please respond famalam
>>
Can I use flank steak marinade for this?
>>
>>7360867
I don't even know what that is
>>
>>7360151
Jerky is the best survival food
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.